INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update Tags (From Library) not working MC15,16 [resolved]  (Read 1667 times)

sumwon

• Recent member
Update Tags (From Library) not working MC15,16 [resolved]
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »

Hi all

Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64, latest MC 16 beta release, and had same problem with MC15. New computer. Still trying to shrink my Windows drive enough to get a data & Linux partition so currently only have one library on an external USB drive.

Tags updated in MC hang, and the "saving tag changes" notification remains at the bottom of the UI before finally an error message displays. Can import external changes fine. Had been using Media Jukebox 14 on previous machine and loved it, with library mapped from same drive. Setting up a Windows partition primarily to use MJ or MC, since the program performs poorly in the Linux Wine environment. Tried modifying every conceivable feature in tools --> options with no success. Have no application control policies that would be blocking MC from saving tags. Jukebox is still able to save tags on my older PC. Would like to buy MC but need to have this resolved.

Thanks for any suggestions!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Update Tags (From Library) not working MC15,16
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »

Permissions errors on disk are the most likely culprit.

If the files you're trying to tag are read-only, in-use, or are not accessible due to Windows filesystem permissions, then tag updating will fail.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sumwon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:05 pm »

Thanks for the quick response. Have already looked into these. The unusual thing is, a manually imported file will update fine (as long as there are no changes hanging in queue before it), but anything that arrived via auto-import won't update.

May help in narrowing the problem down.

sumwon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »

Furthermore, tags on the manually imported file will only update if the file is new to the library. files with known file names that are deleted and re-added will not update.

I am going to try reinstalling the program.

sumwon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:29 pm »

Actually looks like this is a Windows 7 bug that can occur when working with non-native files and folders.

My music folder is not read-only, and doesn't appear as such in Ubuntu or XP, but for some reason Windows 7 sees it as read-only and applies this to all files and sub-folders. I had noticed this earlier and unchecked the box, but now I see that it is just reverting back to read-only regardless. 

I will post a solution once I find it!

sumwon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »

This issue is resolved. Hopefully the solution can be useful for someone in the future.

I think the issue may have been brought about by BitLocker To Go. Had set it up and removed it on the external drive to try it out, and this may have caused some modifications to the NTFS policies. Looks like programs are now accessing the drive from the non-administrative Users group. When I enabled the full control permission for the Users group all tag changes in queue in MC were completed. I can now save all tags.

Can someone tell me if MC is designed to have administrative access by default? Please forgive me for my lagging Windows skills.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:00:05 pm »

No, MC runs fine without Admin rights I believe.  However, you have to make sure you have proper access to any media files that you want MC to manage.  If you are using local media, this is pretty simple.  Select the PARENT folder of the files you want to check, right-click, choose Properties, and check the proper permissions for the user account you want to use MC from.

However, for network usage, ALL file shares are typically read-only for non admin users on Windows, unless you've explicitly granted that user permissions.  Windows has three "tiers" of file permissions:

1. The actual file permissions.  These are similar to the POSIX U/G/A permissions except that they are a bit more flexible.  You set these locally (not over the network) by right clicking on a file or folder, and selecting Properties.  To apply the permissions recursively, you need to do it via advanced.  Please note that Windows will NOT apply permissions to any folder that you don't "own" (and will silently fail) so you might need to check the Ownership tab under advanced as well.

2. The network share permissions.  These apply only to users accessing the file share over the network.  They are SEPARATE FROM the file-level permissions, but both apply.  So, if the local user has permission to read/write the file share, but read-only local access to the actual file or folder, then it will operate as effectively read-only.  These default to read-only when you create a new share.

3. The file attributes.  This mainly impacts the file "read-only" attribute.  Note that if you view whole folders full of files, the "read only" box will almost always be "partially checked" on Windows Vista/7 because of hidden read-only files in the directory structure.  If you uncheck this box manually, it will unset the read-only attribute for any files and folders that you own and have proper write permissions for recursively.  But, when you close and re-open the dialog, it will usually show "partially checked" again (because of system-owned hidden files that have read-only status).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sumwon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

Glynor-

Thanks so much for your responses. Not only is the issue resolved, but I now have a better understanding of how Windows file permissions work.

Definitely one of the best experiences I've had in a community forum.

Best.

sumwon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:35 pm »

One last thing....

I found the root of the problem, and it was likely BitLocker related. So an FYI in case there are future cases.

What it looks like to me is that once enabled, BitLocker To Go takes ownership of all folders on a drive, and doesn't give up its rights even after it is disabled. A long alpha-numeric profile was listed as the owner of all my folders, and I'm guessing it was a BitLocker encryption key of some kind. I've changed ownership of the drive back to myself.

Thanks again for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up