INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m4a tagging  (Read 1295 times)

trott

• World Citizen
m4a tagging
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:52:11 am »

Hi,

Thanks for including better support for m4a tag reading & writing.

However, after installing the latest version (55), about half of my m4a files are missing artist & album information. The files are correctly listed in itunes and used to have the correct info in MC.

An 'update tags from files' does read the missing info correctly, however it takes a long time.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: m4a tagging
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:30:24 am »

What triggered the loss of the field data? Did you just install the build 55 or did you also do something else? I mean, the library should hold the field data for your already imported and unchanged files. No tag reading should occur.

I have just reported some m4a bugs, but I have not seen any problems with preserving library data or reading the basic tags like Artist and Album.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

trott

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:02:00 am »

I just upgraded to 16 last week or so, I came from MC12.
I installed build 49 I think, but then I did not notice any problems (half of my library is mp3 and the other half m4a, so I would have noticed).
Yesterday I installed the latest build and noticed the problem fairly immediately...

What could be a step in the right direction: I tagged my files partly with iTunes, partly with mp3tag. All files were eventually imported in itunes, however, which read them all fine.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:17:53 am »

I just upgraded to 16 last week or so, I came from MC12.
I installed build 49 I think, but then I did not notice any problems (half of my library is mp3 and the other half m4a, so I would have noticed).
Yesterday I installed the latest build and noticed the problem fairly immediately...

What could be a step in the right direction: I tagged my files partly with iTunes, partly with mp3tag. All files were eventually imported in itunes, however, which read them all fine.
Using build 55 from the MC16 board, set playback to Automatic.  It's under Filetypes in Options.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:27:38 am »

trott,

Based on what you said, I guess the problem is unrelated to the m4a changes. Did you experience any crashes? Is the library in the default location? If you are using Library Server have you set the clients to update changes back to the server?

One thing that you can do is to restore the latest "good" library backup file. It should bring the missing field values back.

Actually, if you have not done what Jim advised, you are probably still using DirectShow decoding. The native m4a input plugin reads tags a lot faster, but it is still a bit buggy. HE-AAC playback doesn't seem to work correctly and seeking of ALAC files is not possible. Probably these problems will be fixed soon. However, even if you have files in either of these two formats, it is possible use the new plugin for importing and/or tag reading and after that switch back to DirectShow decoding if you encounter any playback problems.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up