INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading from MC 12 to MC 15?  (Read 1591 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Upgrading from MC 12 to MC 15?
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »

Until today, I have been on MC 12.  Today when I started MC and it prompted me to upgrade, I decided to bite the bullet and pay for the upgrade to 15.  It installed 15, but didn't migrate my settings or library.  Is there some way to migrate/import from 12 to 15 without doing it manually?  I suppose I can back up the library in 12 and restore it in 15, but that doesn't help with all the settings.  I'm actually surprised 15 didn't just install on top of 12, like most programs do when you install a newer version...

On a related note - when I went on the board just now to post this, I saw some threads about purchasing MC 16.  Is that out?  Am I going to have to pay again to get 16 when I just got 15 today?

Thanks.

- Dave

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Upgrading from MC 12 to MC 15?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:05:00 pm »

The settings transfer is a new feature that was introduced in MC15. A library backup file contains also the settings and you can optionally restore also them.

Regarding MC12 > MC15 upgrade, you can restore the library in the usual way, but not transfer the settings. Create a backup file of your MC12 library and restore it in MC15. Perhaps make some notes of your old settings and apply similar settings in MC15. MC15 has a lot of new features and not all settings would be compatible anyway.

If you purchase a license now it will be an MC16 license. It will work with the recent MC15 builds and with MC16.

You can actually have all three versions installed if you prefer so. However, the library files are not backwards compatible. Once a library has been used with a newer program version it will not work with older versions.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:39:36 pm »

Ok, tyhanks.

So you really can't install an upgrade and have the new version replace the old, with all the settings carrying over?  Don't a lot of people complain about this?  I don't think I've ever seen an application that didn't carry settings over, unless it was a total rewrite that wasn't compatible with the old version - which is something that people never like.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »

So you really can't install an upgrade and have the new version replace the old

that's good is it not ? then you can run earlier versions and not be bullied by the new, very good when you want to do some testing first..

...with all the settings carrying over?
you can do this from version 15

..but you can quite easily import your old setting from the registry, it's pretty basic, otherwise do a search on the forum..
MT5FR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:50:43 pm »

As Alex said, settings can be preserved when upgrading to MC16 from MC15, but not from prior versions.

However MC16 can convert any recent library, so try restoring a backup from MC12.
Pages: [1]   Go Up