INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello My Name Is  (Read 6577 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Hello My Name Is
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:00:35 am »

Hi there.  I'm just this guy, you know.  Glynor.

It's funny, I don't really know how I ended up picking this name.  I originally used the nick rion, for a variety of reasons I found mildly amusing.  But then there was this other guy on EFNet who used that nick too, and you couldn't register nicks on EFNet like you could on DALNet.  We were always colliding and having to use the alternate nicks.  We both ignored it for a long while, but then one day he found me and talked to me about it.  Pled his case, as it were.  I really wasn't that attached, and besides... He seemed nice enough.  I switched to ri0n for a little while, but that just seemed lame.

All along, I'd used "glynor" as my identd username on the Linux box I ran because I was a nerd (but not really "for" anything).  I honestly don't remember where I got it for sure, but I think I picked it out of a name list that a friend had for some weird reason probably involving MUDDing or something (which was always too full of spam and too corny for me).  So anyway, I needed a new name to use, my real name was way too common to hope for, even then, on most services.  So I just started using "glynor" when I needed a name.  It was convenient.   Always available on the various services.

But then there's this guy, Glynor Plet.  I feel kinda bad.  After all, that is his name, and I keep swooping in there and grabbing all the usernames on twitter and Facebook and .com and everything.  I'm not really trying that hard or anything, and he probably doesn't even know or care, but...  He is a 6'4" Dutch striker after all.

It's really too late now though.  I'm firmly attached to the name, and I wouldn't give it up at this point.

Every once in a while I get tweet @mentions obviously intended for him.

Anyone else have an interesting (or vanilla like mine) username story?  Just curious...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

Re: Hello My Name Is
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:33:49 am »

I use a different name for most sites I frequent. Thought this would maximize security. In hind site a dumb idea.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:07:58 am »

Nice story.

I used to work in the same company as one of my brothers 10+ years ago. He was known as A-Rod, I was P-Rod (Al & Pete). Rod is a shortening of our surname.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:58:18 am »

Hi. My name is Rick, and I am Canadian. I like a name that means something, so there you go. There are probably a few other Rick's who are appalled at what I'm doing to their reputations. But that's okay—they're Canadian and too polite to complain about it.

I find glynor's story a bit disturbing. Expecting the name meant something, I was disappointed to find it meant nothing to Google (hitting Glynor Plet more or less confirms that instantly). I was comforted by the thought it must mean something to him. Now, years later, he tells us it means nothing! ::)

Oh, well. I'm sure there's a meaningful story behind his strange picture...

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:00:41 am »

Like your story,

I used to work at IBM in Scotland. The department there had no windows, just artificial light, I started early when it was dark and finished when it was dark and after a few months was getting real down and depressed. I was diagnosed with S.A.D. and put on anti depressants to help lift my mood. Well to say they lifted my mood was an understatement and the guys in the office kept saying I was a wee happy pixie and this then grew into a nickname which I have now used for over 10 years.

John

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:46 am »

Interesting story Glynor.

I started a website for NASCAR driver Derrike Cope back in '96. When signing up for various things, I didn't want to use my real name and even if I did, sometimes it was taken. So I came up with DC (Derrike Cope) web man since I was the webmaster. I get some people thinking it's because I'm from Washington, D.C. But it is nice because the name is always available like yours when signing up for various services. I'd like to get rid of it some day, especially if I ever get rid of maintaining his website, but it's so ingrained in me that I don't think I can. And even though I put my real name in my signature, I'm still dcwebman.  ;)
Jeff

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:04 am »

Not too creative. I'm an amateur magician. I used to practice a lot and became a magician member of the Magic Castle. I'm still a member but have shifted from performing to collecting to just being interested in magic. Performing took too much time. Collecting took too much money. Just being interested is priceless. :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:05 pm »

I used to work at IBM in Scotland. The department there had no windows, just artificial light, I started early when it was dark and finished when it was dark and after a few months was getting real down and depressed.

I have a friend who did her graduate work at Johns Hopkins, and being a lowly graduate student, they gave her an office down in the sub-sub-basement of some old creaky building.  Her and her office-mate hated the fact that they had no windows, but they did have an extra PC down in there with them that no one was using.  After a little while, they discovered that the campus had one of those weather webcams online, so they started opening up the webcam fullscreen on the extra machine every morning and called it "their window".  Every day, it was the job of whomever arrived first to "open the window".

Oh, well. I'm sure there's a meaningful story behind his strange picture...

Sorry to disappoint, but not entirely... That's just a funny picture of me, from an odd late-January bonfire party we had a few years back.  It was a really fun party.  Here's the whole picture:

It was absurdly cold outside that night, but us idiots were all partying outside all night.  The bonfire was large and warm though.  This is what happened when my wife put her drink down next to her chair for a bit, though (and that drink was high-percentage vodka too, so we're talking cold):

I've used a variety of different avatars over time.  One of my favorites that I used to use was this one:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »

Not too creative. I'm an amateur magician.

That's cool.  I wondered about yours.

But that's okay—they're Canadian and too polite to complain about it.

;D

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:22 pm »

Mine is just my name in reverse.. Nice since noone else is using it, although most people tend to think I'm french because of it.

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »

Mine is just my name in reverse.. Nice since noone else is using it, although most people tend to think I'm french because of it.
So your name is Leifrall? What ethnicity are you? I cannot seem to determine it from the name. :)

And mine is well, my friend nicknamed me cubanresourceful since I was cuban and whenever somebody needed something done, whether it was with computers, cars, etc., I would get it done somehow.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »

Leirfall is my surname, I'm norwegian.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 02:56:32 pm »

I used my real name on the first forum I joined but thought better of it after I had some exchanges with some "unstable" users.

Since then I just put my and my wife's initials together (they are the same) and use it for most everything.  Many people tend to read it wrong and think it has something to do with the "tv network".
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

medvedik

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 01:55:59 pm »

Hello everyone,

my name is Medvedik. Although here and some other places.

I chatted for a while with an Ukrainian girl. And she thought I looked like a teddybear/bear. And Medvedik means bear/teddybear in Russian. And when we talked on skype she often called me Medvedik, so after a while I just started to use it on forums etc.

Nothing really exiting guys, sorry :D

Enjoy your weekend,

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:44 pm »

My User Name KingSparta Comes From A Product "SpartaDOS"

SpartaDOS is a disk operating system for the Atari 8-bit family of computers, that closely resembles MS-DOS.

More Info
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »

I use imugli because... well... I don't consider myself to be a picture...  :-[

kurushi

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 06:11:00 am »

Kurushi simply because i have spend a lot of time on it !
(it's an old psx game about cube and avatars:)

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 06:14:19 pm »

My name is from the game Zork.
I'm not the only one who occasionally uses "Frobozz" as an online name.  I hope the wizard doesn't mind.

When you start Zork I the first thing you see is:
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

And that's how the game starts.

I first played Zork on an Apple ][+

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »

Zork, now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time. I first played Zork in junior high in 1984. I spent hours in the school library playing it. I think it was the first computer game I ever played.

I use Mojave because I used to live on the edge of the Mojave Desert in California.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 10:27:19 pm »

I first played Zork on an Apple ][+

I first played Zork on my Apple IIGS.  I last played it two nights ago on my phone.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 12:04:01 am »

My avatar is a screenshot of the beginning of Zork II.
"A sword of Elvish workmanship is on the ground."

If I wasn't so lazy I'd change it to a screenshot of Zork I.

Which gives me an idea.  I could make three avatars.  One each for Zork I, Zork II, and Zork III.  Add an appropriate tagline for each.  And change to a different avatar every couple of weeks.  But I'm lazy...

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 01:02:03 am »

Open the mailbox....

Yes I played them all...  An Easter egg in the new COD Black Ops is a full version of Zork on a pc in the room where you start...  Pretty cool.

As far as Kensn .. well pretty boring, My first name  - middle initial - last initial...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

rick.ca

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 01:12:16 am »

After 30 years, I still have flashbacks to The Great Underground Empire, and remember it more vividly than subsequent graphical games I spent as much time playing. The nightmares of being robbed by the thief or eaten by a grue did eventually stop. :)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 04:44:31 am »

My real name is Ben, and there are a lot of Bens about - there were nine of us in my school year.
One of them, who I used to play video games a lot with, always called himself Abe on screen - from the playstation game Abe's Oddysee.
We were once trying to beat each other's high scores on some random shareware game; he'd call himself Abe, and, not wanting to just put in 'Ben', I reversed it and called myself eba.
 :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 04:01:20 pm »

After 30 years, I still have flashbacks to The Great Underground Empire, and remember it more vividly than subsequent graphical games I spent as much time playing. The nightmares of being robbed by the thief or eaten by a grue did eventually stop. :)

Heck yes.  Being lost in that stupid maze at the beginning...  ::)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 12:40:35 pm »

Great thread!

On Friday nights my wife and I would enjoy a couple of martinis and listen to music.  We would described it as getting "tuned up".  Fridays evenings became known as tune time.  There are a few others that use the same name that I run into on occasion.  It fits two of my passions music and a very very cold vodka martini (shaken not stirred).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 02:19:30 pm »

My User Name KingSparta Comes From A Product "SpartaDOS"

On Friday nights my wife and I would enjoy a couple of martinis and listen to music.  We would described it as getting "tuned up".  Fridays evenings became known as tune time.  There are a few others that use the same name that I run into on occasion.  It fits two of my passions music and a very very cold vodka martini (shaken not stirred).

That's cool.  I always wondered about both of yours too.

PS. "Tuned up" is fantastic.  Might just use that myself.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 02:47:45 pm »

newsposter dates from 'way back' on uunet and dejanews (pre-google)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 04:30:27 pm »

That's cool.  I always wondered about both of yours too.

I Wrote An Article About Sparta DOS For A Few Atari User Group Magazines Back In The Day.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

Glynor you're post cracked me up. Were you on the pop last night? Thought we all new who Glynor was = Guru X (and I've only been visiting for a few months).

Juice370. I was always seen with an OJ in my hands when young. Problem is I'm allergic now, I've consumed that much!  ::) 37, lucky number. 370 because many usernames on sites required 8 digits, so everything became juice370.

:o

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »

Don't know if he is still around, but my favorite was Nosmo Rex. A multi-language pun, and a sentiment I agree with!

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 12:49:13 pm »

Don't know if he is still around, but my favorite was Nosmo Rex. A multi-language pun, and a sentiment I agree with!

j

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=profile;u=5847
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 05:59:12 pm »

my favorite was Nosmo Rex

I miss Tab/jgreen.  :-\ :'(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »

[expletive deleted]

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:33 pm »

Fayetteville, NC, USA

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 11:20:01 am »

"Confishy" ..started out trying to be smart like Confucius (Chinese: 孔子; pinyin: Kǒng Zǐ; Wade–Giles: K'ung-tzu, or Chinese: 孔夫子; pinyin: Kǒng Fūzǐ; Wade–Giles: K'ung-fu-tzu), literally "Master Kong", but seemed a bit fishy....

at least its unique ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up