INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WebRemote  (Read 2788 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
WebRemote
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »

Good evening!

I was reading through "Search" for a few hours learning about WebRemote and WebPlay.  Tried for a while on my iPhone.

I have previously used PlugPlayer for this.

But i am liking the "J River Method" more and more.  There are only two stumbling blocks.  One of which I think can be fixed from my searches.  Although there were no instructions on how to do this.

1) How do I add "Jump Letters" rather than 80 pages of artists.  A post from Bob i think said it could be done.
2) Does Search only retrieve info at track level?  Can I have it show albums and artists as well?

Thanks in advance!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WebRemote
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:34:58 am »

1) How do I add "Jump Letters" rather than 80 pages of artists.  A post from Bob i think said it could be done.
2) Does Search only retrieve info at track level?  Can I have it show albums and artists as well?

Under Media Network options, you can configure views.

MC16 has an improved search, but I'm not sure that WebRemote can use it yet.

Can you play a playlist?

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:18:15 pm »

I saw I can configure views.  I just have no clue where to even start, or where to go to customize? 

I can only manage to change "artist", "album", "genre" sub categories. 

How do I remove "pages" and add letters for artists?

Also, when using search, can I set it up to return albums and artists?  Or will it only return tracks.

Thanks!
patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

csimon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:26:58 am »

To add an A-Z index for artists...

Assuming the items defined in your artists category are, say:

Artist
Album

then you need to add an extra item at the top, also defined by the library field Artist, but select the Group option on it:

Artist (Group by 1)
Artist
Album

Group by 1 generates an A-Z index, i.e. 26 menu items.  Group by 4 would create menu items as follows:

A-D
E-H
I-L
M-P
Q-T
U-X
Y-Z

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:09:29 am »

Perfect!!!  I only need to type in "Group by 1" after "Artist"?

I will give it a shot right away.

I have almost 2000 artists so Group by 1 is essential.

Cheers.  Thanks again!

Patrick

csimon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:20:37 am »

Not literally type it in after the word Artist, but select the Group option in the Artist item edit dialog box.  The 1 should be there by default.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:49 am »

It's actually called Grouping I think, not Group By.

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:14:31 pm »

Thanks csimon!!!!  I really appreciate the help.

I successfully added the Grouping by 1.  Unfortunately I just get a list of albums inside each "letter" rather than a list of artists.

Am I missing some other setting to get this?

Thanks!
Patrick

PS..... as long as I have you.  Is it possible to add the "Year" to the tags displayed in "Playing Now"?

csimon

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »

This is all about customising the views.  You might like to have a look in the Wiki & documentation to see what sort of information there is.  Presumably you've found your way into the Customise Views dialogs, and you can see that each view consists of a number of categories and items.  You have to add/delete/edit/rearrange items as necessary to provide the structure you want. MC provides some views by default but you can customise them and create your own as necessary.

I take it that what you want is an A-Z listing of artists, then when you drill down into a particular letter you want to see a list of artists starting with that letter.  Then when you pick an artist you then get a list of albums by that artist.

So your view scheme needs to consists of the following items in order, which define the drill-down structure:

Artist (Grouping by 1)
Artist
Album

It sounds like what you've done is simply edited the existing Artist item to add a grouping option to it, i.e.

Artist (Grouping by 1)
Album

That way, you will indeed get an A-Z listing followed immediately by an Album listing by all artists that begin with your chosen letter.  You need to add an Artist level without the grouping in the middle.  Or alternatively, you should have added an Artist grouping into the beginning of the list, rather than editing the existing Artist item.

The other slight complication is the difference between Artist and Album Artist!  Depending on how you've tagged your music files, and whether you've got Various Artist compilation albums in your colelcction, you might want to use Album Artist (or Album Artist Auto) instead of Artist.

I can't help with the Now Playing question, I've never used it, I actually only use J River as a DLNA server for PlugPlayer.  There are a separate set of views specific to the DLNA server but you set them up in the same way so that PlugPlayer presents menus to you in the way you want to see them.

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:01:50 am »

AHA!!!!!!!!  Fantastic.  I am learning, slowly.  Many thanks for helping me along.

Pages: [1]   Go Up