INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 stops responding  (Read 1543 times)

wisedan

• Recent member
MC16 stops responding
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:14:21 pm »

I've looked through the board and can't find anything on this. Can someone help?

MC16 regularly becomes unresponsive, sometimes when I am using it locally, and sometimes just the media server accessed by another computer. At these times, I cannot stop the Media Center 16.exe service in task manager, and I cannot start MC. Instead, I get a message that "Media Center 16 is running, but there may be a problem..."  The only way I can get things going again is to reboot.

This seems to happen at least daily, and particularly when I attempt to change settings. I am now trying to turn off the media server and DLNA servers, to see if this will make a difference.

Thanks for help and insights.

MC 16.0.60.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC16 stops responding
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »

Under Help, you'll find MC logging.

A description of your setup and what you're doing at the time might help.

wisedan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:13:02 am »

Thanks Jim. I'm pretty new at troubleshooting for this. I checked the logs and they are empty. I just turned that on.

I'm running Windows 7 x64. MC is set up as media server with default settings (I remain baffled on how to turn on Media Server without DLNA or vice versa), default port 52199. I have another computer running the same version of MC 16, which also has DLNA turned on. It has been set to the same port--is this a problem?

I will attach logs when there is something there.

Is there a place to learn more about setting up the library/DLNA servers in version 16?

Thanks.

wisedan

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:15:17 am »

System config:
Media Center 16.0.60 Registered -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 16\

6.1  (Build 7600)
AMD Unknown 3045 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3930 MB, Free - 1532 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive R:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive R: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LS30   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:15:11 am »

Open up Advanced under Media Network options to turn off DLNA.

Use Library Server, not DLNA, if you have MC on both sides.

wisedan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:08 pm »

I see how to turn DLNA on and off. Can you also turn the library server on or off, separately, and use DLNA?

I would like to be able to use my office computer as the library server and also to control the HTPC in my living room. I am imagining that I need to have library server and DLNA Controller on the office computer, and DLNA Renderer on the HTPC.  What do I do with the ports? And how do I prevent the HTPC from becoming a library server on the same port (52199)?

Thanks Jim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up