INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacBook Pro running Win 7. ASIO or WASAPI supported?  (Read 5048 times)

Talos

• Recent member
MacBook Pro running Win 7. ASIO or WASAPI supported?
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:31 am »

I have a 2009 unibody Macbook Pro running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit edition with Bootcamp 3.0 support.  I am totally new to J River - I just downloaded the MC16 beta to evaluate.  I am trying to get either ASIO or WASAPI working in order to provide "bit-perfect" audio to my new Classé CP-800.  Before I bash my brains out, does anybody know if this hardware/OS combo supports ASIO or WASAPI?  This stuff really pushes the limits of my computer audio knowledge.... :-[

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MacBook Pro running Win 7. ASIO or WASAPI supported?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:38 am »

I have a 2009 unibody Macbook Pro running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit edition with Bootcamp 3.0 support.  I am totally new to J River - I just downloaded the MC16 beta to evaluate.  I am trying to get either ASIO or WASAPI working in order to provide "bit-perfect" audio to my new Classé CP-800.  Before I bash my brains out, does anybody know if this hardware/OS combo supports ASIO or WASAPI?  This stuff really pushes the limits of my computer audio knowledge.... :-[

I'm not an expert on the WASAPI or ASIO stuff but I think I've got a handle on what you need.

From what I understand, bootcamp includes basic drivers for the audio chipset on your MBP. You need ASIO or WASAPI drivers for the native MBP hardware in windows. Since the MBP contains off the shelf hardware for many of it's components, you MAY be able to find generic windows WASAPI or ASIO drivers for your audio chipset if they exist.

What I would do is to look in windows device manager on the MBP and see what the chipset is, then look online for WASAPI or ASIO drivers for that chipset and Windows 7 64 bit.

If you don't succeed, you might try one of the external USB audio interfaces that have their own Windows WASAPI support drivers.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:29:41 pm »

I couldn't find a manual or detailed specs on the Classe web site for the CP800.  It must be too new.  I did find a brief announcement for it on ComputerAudiophile.  It has a variety of digital connections.  Here's a brief bit from ComputerAudiophile

if you want digital, it has all the things you want:
ethernet with upnp/dlna (it will be a music streamer)
usb at the back with asynchronous clocking like the ayre qb-9
usb at the front with apple support (digital signal and charging)
spdif, toslink, aes xlr.
It's got the goods.

The front USB port is for an iPod.  You'll need to use the USB port on the back to connect it to the computer.

Forget about doing ASIO.  ASIO is XP era stuff and requires special drivers.  WASAPI is the Vista and Win7 way and doesn't require special drivers.  You should be able to just plug it in with the USB and Windows should recognize it.

Plug it in with the USB.  In Media Center go to: Tools >> Options >> Audio
set Output mode to WASAPI or WASAPI event style
In Output mode settings select the CP800 from the dropdown list (it should be there if Windows has recognized it).

Talos

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:19 pm »

Thanks Frobozz.  I did as you suggest and selected WASAPI (what is the difference between WASAPI and WASAPI event?).  When I payed my first track (a red-book CD rip to FLAC) I got a message saying it could not set the output bit depth to 16 bits and would instead use DSP to set it to 24 bits.  Can you explain why that is?  I also set MC16 to play from memory, since my music is on a NAS and I am obliged to connect for the time being via 811n.  However, it still stops from time to time and is apparently busy filling buffers (network traffic is busy at 54Mbps).  Does any of this make sense to you?

Talos

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:56:38 pm »

Update.  When the music stops it won't start again.  I have to exit MC and re-start.  It is nothing to do with the source files being accessible via WiFi because I copied files to the local HD and got the same problem.  Sometimes it stops after only a few seconds.  The more times I go round this loop the quicker it seems to stop.  Any ideas would be appreciated - I think I'm waaayyy out of my depth here...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:53:42 pm »

In MC's DSP Studio, try forcing everything to 24 bit.

On our wiki, ther are two articles worth reading:

Audio Output Modes
and
DAC Settings

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:48:39 pm »

Here's a link to the Wiki contents page

WASAPI Event Style is more robust and generally a better choice if your hardware supports it.

Your hardware may be behaving more like pro audio gear so may require the option "Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package" be set in the WASAPI output mode settings (Tools >> Options >> Audio).

You'll get more response to setup related questions in the Media Center 15 forum.  The hardware related forums here don't get as many eyeballs.  And there are people watching the Media Center 15 forum who are way more experienced in the various software configurations (and better at explaining it) than I am.

If you start a new thread in the MC15 forum be sure to include the link to the ComputerAudiophile that gives a brief listing of the specs for your gear.  That way folks will know what you're dealing with and that it has lots of digital connection options.  It will also let folks know that you've got something more similar to pro audio gear than regular consumer gear (pro audio USB DACs can behave a little differently than consumer USB DACs).

USB is probably going to be your best option.  Though TOSLINK is also an option since I'm pretty sure your Mac has a TOSLINK output on it.

Getting streaming over WiFi to work well depends on the quality of your home WiFi network and how much interference there is around you.  Does the Classe CP-800 have a connection for a wired ethernet connection instead of WiFi?

Talos

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 05:25:57 pm »

Thanks for your help.  I have quite a bit to do before I can post detailed results, but I will take advice and seek further help - as required - elsewhere on the site as you suggest.  I have eliminated WiFi as the source of the problem, and can pretty confidently ascribe the stops and crashes as being caused by the "Play From Memory".  It seems I can stream my content happily over the WiFi with this setting disabled.  Also, per your recommendations I am using "WASAPI - event control" and that seems to be quite robust.  Oh, and bear in mind I am using the MC16 Beta.
Pages: [1]   Go Up