INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up DLNA and/or Library Server  (Read 2900 times)

wisedan

• Recent member
How to set up DLNA and/or Library Server
« on: April 05, 2011, 06:07:00 pm »

I wish I could find a definitive how to on setting up several MC computers to talk to each other. The Wiki is  a little hard to follow for me and doesn't seem current for MC16. I'm a real novice when it comes to front ends and back ends, etc. Can any one point me in the right direction?

Specifically, I'd like to run something like this:
-One computer as library server which contains all the files and the main library.
-Several other computers which can read this library and play the files
-Ability of server computer to control the others

I'd also like to have a subset of files stored locally on the laptops, so I can disconnect and still play. Is there an easy way to do this?

From what I've sort of figured out, I would turn library server service on with the server computer and load that library onto the others. But here I get stuck. Do I also need DLNA to control the other computers?  Do I need to turn on any services on the other computers (DLNA server/renderer/controller)? If so, can I do so without having conflicting library servers on the same port (52199 default)? Do I have to have MC (GUI) running on the server computer? Is the option in startup to start library server with Windows the way to get it going? Do I need to be logged in, or does it run as a system server.

Even more basic, I'd love a step by step--go to options and click... kind of guide.

Anyone up to the challenge of getting me through this?

Thanks!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to set up DLNA and/or Library Server
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »

On your server, in Media Network options, turn on the first option ("Use Media Network").  That turns on the servers you need.  You will also get an Access Key.

Also on the server, set the option to turn Media Server on at Windows Start.  It's in the startup options.

On our wiki, read the article called "Servers".  

On a client, choose File/Library/Add Library.  There you name your server and enter the access key.

Then do File/Library and click on the server you named.

MC should find it and open the server's library.

From that point, it's just like using a local library.

You don't need DLNA for any of this.  It's more device oriented.

wisedan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:09:53 pm »

Thanks Jim,   :) :) :)
I've got the library loaded on the HTPC as desired, and I see that I can control/play files on the server computer. I would like to be able to reverse this, operating the HTPC with my office computer, sort of like a remote playback. I am not yet clear on how to do so.

Also, do I need to turn on any servers on the HTPC? Can I turn off (uncheck) all the DLNA services on the server computer?

The article was helpful but still leaves me a little in the dark on how all this fits together.

Thanks again.

csimon

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:22:35 am »

The office computer is the server?

You can do this by turning the HTPC into a DLNA Renderer (turn on Allow this computer to be controlled by others) and make the server into a DLNA Controller.

Then, the HTPC should appear as a Zone in Playing Now, and you can select it and send media items to it.

wisedan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:20:21 am »

I've set up the office computer as the server because it's the one I use for ripping and downloading and is always on. I'm guessing this is unusual. If I reversed it, would I be able to do the ripping, library updating, tag changes and so on on the non-server computer and still have an accurate library?

bste007

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:25:13 pm »

does anyone know what haopened to catwalk? the website doesnt seemto be working

csimon

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:50:31 pm »

I've set up the office computer as the server because it's the one I use for ripping and downloading and is always on. I'm guessing this is unusual. If I reversed it, would I be able to do the ripping, library updating, tag changes and so on on the non-server computer and still have an accurate library?
Sorry, I wasn't criticising the way you have set it up, it was just a question to verify which machine was the server!

It really doesn't matter which way round you do it.  One PC will be the server on which the physical files and library are located.  But you also want to be able to access the library from MC on the client machine, in which case you need to enable library server and you will be able to access the library as though it was local, i.e. use a remote library on the client PC to play on the client PC, whichever way around you have the client and server.  And you specifically also want to be able to remotely control the HTPC from the office computer (whichever is the server), in other words you want to use the local library but play on a remote machine.  That requires DLNA controller and renderer.

So you have two possibilities:

Office PC: MC library server; DLNA Controller
HTPC: MC client using remote library on the Office PC; DLNA Renderer

HTPC: MC Library Server; DLNA Renderer
Office PC: MC client using remote library on the HTPC; DLNA Controller

Since the Office PC is always on, it does make sense to do it the way you've already got it, with that machine being the server.

I *think* I'm being correct in the above scenarios, can anyone offer any alternatives?

[Edit: I've just realised that DLNA might be irrelevant.  The aim of doing that was to get the remote PC available as a Zone in the local PC, however I'm wondering if other instances of MC turn up as extra zones anyway.  I think that's the whole point. I've never actually done it that way because I've only got one instance of MC and I'm using a DLNA media player as the second zone.]
Pages: [1]   Go Up