INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping and volume  (Read 560 times)

khaos10

Ripping and volume
« on: June 04, 2002, 06:11:25 pm »

When ripping a CD or a song from a CD, does the ripper adjust for volume? Meaning: If I rip a bunch of different songs from different CDs and then burn them, will the volume level of each song be equal or will the difference you hear between different CDs still be audible?

If it doesn't offer this, is there talk of it being added sometime in the future?

Cotton-Eyed Loo

RE:Ripping and volume
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 06:21:12 pm »

I beleive your interested in a feature generally referred to as normalization.

You can flip it on at rip or encoding time. You can also have MJ evaluate your music collection in the background and remember its calculation of each items volume so it can normalize at playback time.

Go to help contents, choose index, type the word normalize and start the search.

enjoy

khaos10

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 06:39:47 pm »

Sounds good. However, you said at playback time. So I'm reading this as it rips it at its normal volume and only adjusts when you play the songs back using MJ. It doesn't sound like the adjustment would be made when burning a CD and playing that CD in my car. The volume differences would be heard in that case?

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 02:26:37 pm »

If you normalize at ripping time then the saved file should behave as one might expect - similar peak volume levels for all songs. If you then burn a CD from a collection of these files you should be where you're trying to get.

khaos10

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 07:09:52 pm »

Excellent. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up