INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Library View Schemes  (Read 2715 times)

sekim

Media Library View Schemes
« on: June 04, 2002, 04:05:55 pm »

Just curious. Is there a way for MJ to display the original track order when selecting 'Media Library' or 'Album Artist / Album'? Whenever I select either of these views MJ displays in alphbetical order instead of original disc order.

nila

RE:Media Library View Schemes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 11:46:49 pm »

Presuming you've entered all the track numbers then it's easy.

Go to options/Tree and View settings
Then set your sorting options in there and it'll sort your mp3's according to whatever you set.

I personally have these as my sort options:
Artist(asc)
Album(asc)
Year(asc)
Track # (asc)

What that does is groups all my albums by one artist together and then puts the newer albums ones first with each album in the original track order.

This only works if you've entered the track #'s though as MJ otherwise has no way of telling what order you want the songs in or that they were in originally.

Scronch

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 12:14:54 am »

OK, this has probably been asked before, but I'll ask it again.  The track order is obviously available online, although perhaps it is implied by the HTML ordering rather than explicitly called out.  In any case, why can't MJ (or some other utility) do some sort of CDDB lookup to fill in the track numbers for songs that I select?  Doesn't that seem reasonable?  Filling in track numbers is drudgery.

Scronch

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 05:16:08 am »

Two ways to change your order by track.

1.  As Nila said above, use the view settings to change your sort order.

2.  Put the file in the order you want (click on the "track #" heading), then select all or select the album, right click to do properties, then under tools, choose "fill track order from list order".
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 06:24:58 am »

I use this

Artist (asc)
Year (asc)
Album (asc)
Track# (asc)

That way I get a listing of all that artist's songs in chronological order. Like if you bought each CD as it came out and listened to each in order from beginning to end.

nila

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2002, 03:33:43 pm »

Lol.
Nice one doof.
I was just looking at your sorting order and wondering how it differed from mine and I realised I'd done mine wrong and it was sorting by album name rather than year.

Thanks Next Page

sekim

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2002, 03:44:49 pm »

Good ideas guys. Thanks. Now, if MJ could retain these settings without clicking the buttons I'd be all set.

nila

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2002, 04:00:22 pm »

Machine - if you use my options method then it does retain the settings.

sekim

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2002, 04:12:06 pm »

Nila,

When selecting an album or artist this is not a problem. What I'm looking at is the whole library. In otherwords, click media library in the left pane and then look at the right pane. MJ still alphabetically sorts. What I'm looking for is...

Alphabetical sorting of the artists and direct copy of the tracks as they came off the disc. Without having to select the buttons in the right pane to do so. And without having to single out one particular artist from the listings in the left pane.

Maybe I'm not following something here.

shelly

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2002, 04:52:58 pm »

MachineHead,

I'm going to take a stab at this on the chance that I'm on the right track.  I've set my sort order as follows:

Artist
Album
Track

I click on Media Library (not the individual views) and I'm able to see my whole collection of songs sorted by artist, then by each album with the tracks in the original order.

Shelly

JJ199

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2002, 05:06:08 pm »

This board is awesome! Thanks for all the great tips! I dumped another jukebox program I won't name.

Later!

sekim

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2002, 05:37:50 pm »

OK, let me ask. Are you using view schemes or going into options when doing this? I'm trying view schemes ( right click on media library )  and nowhere is 'Track' listed as an option to 'ADD' to my particular scheme.

However, when looking through Settings > Options I can select 'Track', from the 'tree & view settings', there. Have known about this for some time. This is not what I'm looking for though.

Am I puzzling anyone yet?

Listening to: 'Bridge Of Sighs' from 'Essential' by 'Robin Trower' on Media Jukebox

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2002, 07:29:13 pm »

MH
It a Settings thing!
Tools > Options > Tree and View Settings > SORTING - it on the right hand side.

shelly

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2002, 07:50:33 pm »

I predefined my sort order in options (Tree and View Settings -----> Sorting.) There's a shortcut menu in Sorting where you can add any field that you'd like to sort on, including track #.  There's also the option 'Track # for Albums' which, when enabled, always sorts based on track #.  The sorting order works in the full media library view or any of the other view schemes.

Listening to: 'I'll Be Around' from 'Alone And Together' by 'Salena Jones' on Media Jukebox

Shelly

Scronch

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2002, 09:43:47 pm »

OK, but, again, the track order for most albums is available online, maybe even within CDDB(?).  Isn't there any utility that will fill in the right track numbers automagically?  Nobody wants to sort through thousands of songs and type in track numbers.

Scronch

nila

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2002, 01:00:35 am »

Machine - your puzzling me here alright Next Page

If you set the sort option in Options under tree and view settings it does exactly what your asking.

Why dont you want to set it there?

shelly

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2002, 04:23:43 am »

Scronch,

CDDB does write the track numbers to MJ.  Is there something else that you're looking for it to do?

Shelly

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2002, 05:54:13 am »

Machinehead> You can add more than one criteria to the sort criteria. So if you add Aritst first, then add Year, etc, you can build a multilayered sort.

This is available in the Tree & View Settings Options screen. Use the Add button to add the field you want, and you can use the Edit button to clear it or change the order.

sekim

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2002, 03:22:25 pm »

Thanks for your help everyone. Didn't know ( or pay attention to the fact )there were options under 'Sort'. Got it to do what I want now.

sekim

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2002, 03:22:52 pm »

Thanks for your help everyone. Didn't know ( or pay attention to the fact )there were options under 'Sort'. Got it to do what I want now.

Scronch

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2002, 03:40:54 pm »

>CDDB does write the track numbers to MJ. Is there something else that you're looking for it to do?

I think you mean when you insert a CD in preparation for ripping.  I'm talking about selecting a (possibly large) group of files I already have, and then having the track numbers added by having a utility access CDDB or something else.  Very often people have one or two files from an album--not the whole album.  Can MJ do that now?

Scronch

shelly

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2002, 03:58:20 pm »

Scronch,
I think what you might be looking for is in file properties ---> tools ----> get info from CDDB.

Shelly
Go Wings!!! (The Detroit Red Wings that is, just about to start the 2nd game against N.C. in the Stanley Cup Finals)

sekim

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2002, 04:06:27 pm »

Shelly,

Do you know where Burt, MI. is? One of my sisters lives there.

shelly

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2002, 04:20:14 pm »

Scronch,  

I believe it's right near one of my favorite outlet malls - Birch Run. Good shopping! It's about 90 minutes NW of me.  

Shelly

lise

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2002, 07:05:56 pm »

I don't believe it.  A hockey fan.  FINALLY!  Come on Shelly, we have to give it to these guys..for the number of times they keep talking about Packers or whoever they are.  I nearly didn't go to Spain because of the playoffs.  But we did go, on condition that a friend would leave a play by play on our phone, so we could call for messages!  We didn't go to the Caribbean in February because of the Olympics--the hockey in the Olympics, to be precise.  Now that Montreal and Toronto are both out (and Colorado too, who used to be the Quebec Nordiques) I'm not really rooting for anyone anymore.  But I'm so giddy about that fact that you mentioned hockey!

shelly

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2002, 08:16:33 pm »

Lise, Packers? Are those the people that you hire to do the moving for you when you buy a new house? Next Page
I certainly can understand the decision you had to make in picking Spain over the playoffs.  I was relieved to know that the networks were going to telecast the playoffs, as we don't have cable at the boat and nothing is going to prevent me from watching my Wings take N.C.  In case you find yourself without TV access again, ESPN's website gives the play by play action, updated every 30 seconds.  I'm thrilled that at least one person here will understand when I lose control and shout "GO WINGSSSSSSSSSSS."

Shelly
(Elated in Detroit because we beat the Hurricanes tonight)
Pages: [1]   Go Up