INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horrible white noise in WASAPI mode after using other sound sources.  (Read 3372 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe

If i play a file in MC, and stop it and then play a file in for instance youtube, and then play a file in MC again I sometimes get white noise instead of the real sound in MC. THis is pretty bad, especially if you use replay-gain, as the white noise is really loud. Could it be related to hardware-acceleration in newer flash-versions?

On a related note, outputting 2-channel material to surround with the mixer seems only to work in wasapi mode? DIrect sound and wave out outputs stereo only?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Horrible white noise in WASAPI mode after using other sound sources.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:45:13 pm »

If i play a file in MC, and stop it and then play a file in for instance youtube, and then play a file in MC again I sometimes get white noise instead of the real sound in MC. THis is pretty bad, especially if you use replay-gain, as the white noise is really loud. Could it be related to hardware-acceleration in newer flash-versions?

I wonder if the other audio engine is still reserving the output device and doesn't allow MC to access the device correctly. I think you should have the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" options enabled in Windows Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Speakers > Properties > Advanced > Exclusive Mode... (Assuming you have WASAPI in MC set to "Open device for exclusive access".)

On a related note, outputting 2-channel material to surround with the mixer seems only to work in wasapi mode? DIrect sound and wave out outputs stereo only?

Do you have the Windows Speakers setting correctly configured for multichannel surround sound? (Windows Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Speakers > Configure...)

Direct Sound and Wave Out use this setting. WASAPI exclusive may be able to access the output channels directly.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »

Setting 5.1 speaker-setup fixed my directsound/wave-out problem, thanks a lot for that. Unfortunately the WASAPI-setup was exactly as you proposed, so that setting was not the problem.

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:59:33 am »

Hmm, seems like for some reason the speaker-setup i reset back to stereo, I haven't been able to figure out why. Sometimes stereo is the only availabe alternative too choose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up