INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album-Artist, Artist  (Read 1154 times)

smOOzz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • fine and warm
Album-Artist, Artist
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:12 am »

Unable to locate a simple explanation of the differences between Album Artist (auto), Album Artist and Artist.   Mainly the first 2. 

I assume the Artist list is showing every artist that has a track in the database whether it's in an Album by the Artist or a compilation album of multiple artists.

I've just noticed that an artist's track can be duplicated in the Album-Artist (auto) column and the Album Artist column. Not sure why.

Any help appreciated.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album-Artist, Artist
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:06 am »

The Artist and Album Artist fields are simply tags that come directly from the media files that you have got (in most cases) or that you have filled in manually in MC. But you are correct in your description of Artist, this is how it's meant to work, although it is really up to each individual person as to what they put into these fields.

Artist = Track Artist
Album Artist = Album Artist

Therefore you can create views according to how you want to browse your collection. The major difference, as you have spotted, is that the track artist can be different from the album artist.  So when you browse a list of artists, do you want to see all obscure artists that have had a track on a compilation album somewhere, or do you only want to see artists for which you've got entire albums for?  If the former, use Artist in your views.  If the latter, use Album Artist instead and populate it with "Various Artists" in it for compilation albums, and therefore you can exclude "Various Artists" from your artist view and then create a separate view that shows compilation albums only, if you want, or alternatively you can leave "Various Artists" in your artist view and is where you will magically find all your compilation albums!

Album Artist (auto) is a field that MC provides automatically, you don't have to populate it.  It simply mimics the behaviour of Album Artist as I've described above so that you don't actually have to consider populating the Album Artist field yourself. It will intelligently look through all the Artists in an album and if they're all the same then it puts the Artist into Album Artist (auto).  However, if they are not all the same then it puts "(Multiple Artists)" into the Album Artist field instead.  So yes, you can see that in some situations, the Album Artist (auto) field will be the same as the proper Album Artist field if you've populated it, and I guess these will be the situations when all the tracks on the album are by the same artist.

For more explanation of Album Artist (auto), see the documentation at http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29.

smOOzz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • fine and warm
Re: Album-Artist, Artist
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:12 pm »

Thanks csimon.  I will investigate further.

The thing that's got me thinking is that I have about 3500 Artists listed under Album Artist(auto), about 1700 All Album Artists listed under Album Artist and about 12000 All Artists under Artists.

I don't usually show both Album Artist (auto) and Album Artist columns but when I did I got myself confused.

I will do some homework

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up