INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Endpoint Streaming  (Read 2206 times)

AVI

• Recent member
Audio Endpoint Streaming
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:17:02 am »

Hi,

Can some operational info be confirmed please, relative to MC16 as other posts suggests there are working differences from MC15.

1) I understand that a network streamer (a UPnP streamer - not necessarily DLNA certified) should show up as a zone in MC. Can someone explain if there are any settings required to make this happen.
2) Assuming it is shown as a zone, how synchronised is linking streamer zones compared to soundcards? I know a while ago it was suggested the JR Id was not as good in this regard but that was a while ago.
3) If shown as a zone, can streaming music services be sent to the streamer, and is Spotify supported (I have not checked)?

The questions specifically relate to use of Naim Uniti streamers. I sell these and am looking for a media manager / server that can provide the Uniti's with a bit more functionality than just being able to stream from a UPnP enabled device. Using 'Asset UPnP' for streaming online music is also a bit weak.

Finally, with regard to UPnP does anyone know if the following scenario would cause problems?

1) You have MC acting as a Server as above and ripping music to a UPnP enabled NAS drive. A streamer looks to MC as a UPnP server.
2) You have the UPnP enable NAS also being looked to by the streamer so that music can be played back without the computer being on.

My concern is that the streamer is looking at two locations for the same content.

All help is appreciated.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Endpoint Streaming
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:18:44 am »

1) I understand that a network streamer (a UPnP streamer - not necessarily DLNA certified) should show up as a zone in MC. Can someone explain if there are any settings required to make this happen.
No settings are required.  Provided the streamer announces itself correctly over the network, it will show up as a Zone.  However you need to enable DLNA Controller in MC.

2) Assuming it is shown as a zone, how synchronised is linking streamer zones compared to soundcards? I know a while ago it was suggested the JR Id was not as good in this regard but that was a while ago.
There is nothing in MC that can synchronise DLNA devices, it is a problem that is inherent in DLNA itself, not MC, as the server has to send out separate streams to each device.  It may or may not work, there is no guarantee.  I believe Microsoft are working on something to allow synchronised Play To devices, maybe this has something to do with multicast messages.

3) If shown as a zone, can streaming music services be sent to the streamer, and is Spotify supported (I have not checked)?
Not as yet, there is a request I have seen recently on these forums for this to be allowed.  I guess it means allowing the Connected Media items to be added as an item in the DLNA views.

Finally, with regard to UPnP does anyone know if the following scenario would cause problems?

1) You have MC acting as a Server as above and ripping music to a UPnP enabled NAS drive. A streamer looks to MC as a UPnP server.
2) You have the UPnP enable NAS also being looked to by the streamer so that music can be played back without the computer being on.

My concern is that the streamer is looking at two locations for the same content.
I do not believe that this would cause trouble but I'll let other people answer this one!

In any event, the fact that the streamer is looking at two locations for the same content isn't the issue, it's whether both MC and the NAS's own media server can read the same file at the same time.  Certainly, if different files are being played then I can't imagine there being a problem, and if the MC computer is off then there definitely won't be a problem.

The two servers will appear as separate servers on the streamer, it's not as though the streamer will get confused as to which one it is streaming from.

However, if you are using MC as a server, there must be reasons why this is preferable over the NAS's internal server.  So why would you then want to use the NAS's server?  Are you (or your customer) willing to live with some limitations sometimes for the convenience of not having the MC computer on?

AVI

• Recent member
Re: Audio Endpoint Streaming
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:25:50 am »

Thanks for a very comprehensive answer.

The reason for the NAS and PC on query is that the NAS is always on and is therefore a more practical way to serve ripped music. We see MC as a management tool that users can also use for ripping and transferring music to portables. Apart from the power issues, Windows is not designed to be left on 24/7 and inevitabley falls over at some point as does MC. If the zone linking function could work a la Sonos / Sooloos then it would be an option for users to use MC to set this up as its more of a social use function and goes hand in hand with playlists.

We have on many occasions envisiged using MC as a housewide multi-zone music server. Unfortunatley the continued reluctance (for whatever reason) to make syncing zones / control of zones available via the API and in Theatre View make it a non starter. Enthusiasts may not mind using a desktop and clicking drop down menus to control the zone functionality but in the real world its impractical.

Thanks again for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up