INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature Request] Cover Art>Add from File >Automatically opens track directory  (Read 2164 times)

BumbleDawg

• Recent member

Currently, adding cover art from a file opens the last opened location.

Could it be made so that adding cover art opens the directory where the track is physically located? I'm aware that the current system favors the organization system where all cover art is stored in a single directory, but I'm one of the users who stores cover art directly where the files are.

The system I'm referring to is demonstrated in Mp3tag, where Add Cover goes straight to the file's location.

Can this be made a configurable option?

Jonahsdad

• Recent member

I like this idea.  Perhaps happens automatically based on the Cover Art location choice.

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe

I agree with OP. Most of the software out there - be it for music of video file management - stores stuff in the same folder with the media. So it may be a handy option when already having metadata and/or art and switching to MC.

BumbleDawg

• Recent member

Bump for response?  :)

struct

• Galactic Citizen

Does the rightclick option quickfind in file/directory not get you what you want?  I often use albumartdownloader to get coverart for a single file (it can be launched from with MC easily), have it save a copy in the directory as folder.jpg and the use quickfind for remaining files in same directory.  I am not sure on the precedence or other factors MC uses for finding the image file so I guess if you have multiple images in a directory this may not work.

Craig

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen

I also agree with the OP.  I'm constantly having to click through directories.

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester

I have also proposed but never implemented, because it was unnecessary.  ?
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel

Does the rightclick option quickfind in file/directory not get you what you want?  I often use albumartdownloader to get coverart for a single file (it can be launched from with MC easily), have it save a copy in the directory as folder.jpg and the use quickfind for remaining files in same directory.  I am not sure on the precedence or other factors MC uses for finding the image file so I guess if you have multiple images in a directory this may not work.

When you use quick find it looks in the file directory and MC central file folder for album art.  It does a good job of finding the cover art but when you use add from file it will also copies the jpg to artist - album.jpg.  It does not delete the original jpg.  When you select find from internet it does not store the jpg in the file directory even when you have that option selected.  The other problem is if you decide to use MC move command it does not move the album art or anything else that you have stored in that directory.  You have to move those items in windows and then delete the empty file folder.  These process could be made to work a little smoother.

I've used MC both ways and I find it preferable to store the art in the files directory.  Should you use any other program it can find the cover art.

I really like the suggestion here.  Right now every time I want to add cover art from file I have to find the artist album directory.  If you do more than one different artist you have to up arrow back to the main directory and it automatically sends you back to the A's.  I have over 3,000 artist so it's a pain.  What you are suggesting is a great idea IMO.

MC has so many great db management tools and this would be another great addition.

Tunetyme

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Could it be made so that adding cover art opens the directory where the track is physically located?

Hmm... I posted the same request for the first time over six years ago (marked with red color in the quote).  :P

There seems to be something strange in the behavior. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I think it would be best if "Quick Find" would work in this order:

1. Go to the cover art folder and link the "artist - album.xxx" image file.

if not found

2. Go to the file folder. If there is only one image, link that.

if there are more than one image file

3. Link the "artist - album.xxx" image file (MJ/MC standard for ages)

if not found

4. Link the folder.jpg image file (Windows standard, thanks for the "great" innovation, Microsoft  :P)

if not found

4. a) Offer the user to choose the image manually. Open the "Add From File..." dialog window. Start with the file folder.

or

4. b) Don't interrupt the process. Skip the current track and go on with the list.

--- 4. a) or b) --- this should be an option. There could be a startup dialog window with a tick box.

"Add From File..." could always start in the file folder. Most probably the image files are kept there if they are not in the cover art folder.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I have found that usually linking cover art by dragging & dropping from Windows Explorer (or from MC's internal explorer in "Drives & Devices") is easier and faster than using the "Add from file..." tool.

... Another option is to open the expanded image display in Action Window and drag & drop the image file from Windows Explorer to that display window. You can find my instructions here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46695.msg321372#msg321372 . The instructions are for MC12 and the example file is a video file, but the feature has not changed in later MC versions (just skip the "screen grab" step, which is for video). Some other info in that thread may not be up-to-date (for instance, it is now possible to add cover art to document files.) ...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

When you select find from internet it does not store the jpg in the file directory even when you have that option selected.

I have not encountered this problem. In my experience cover art is always saved according to the selected option in Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art.

EDIT: ... when the Get From Internet tool is used.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team

Part of this is (I think) coming from people being unfamiliar/uncomfortable with the default way that MC stores metadata.  It can certainly be changed, but maybe the options to do so are buried a bit deeper than some people would like.

In a perfect world, we all wouldn't care about where metadata gets stored, just let MC and its internal database take care of things.

In the real world, people often like to see common-sense relationships like having metadata stored in the same directory as the programming material.

Maybe it's time to let the user tell MC to use its default, well-defined, well-functioning internal structure for metadata storage **or* let the users select another option that would cluster program material in the same directory as related metadata.

Allowing too many options here would be a programming, performance, and troubleshooting/reliability nightmare.  But perhaps there is room for two sets of schema instead of the one we all pretty much use.

(This discussion might be pushing open the door to a re-jigging/rationalization of MC menu setup items too.)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

The original request is simple and very logical. Just make the "Add From File..." tool always start from the media file's directory. It is the most likely place for the cover art file if MC did not already find a cover art file automatically from the location that is set in the options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up