INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ready to try Media/Library Server again - tips for repointing my library?  (Read 3042 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

Now with 16.0.75 deemed stable - I am again considering implementing Media/Library Server once again. Before I attempt this tho - I need some pointers on how to ensure my existing library can be re-pointed to the new server instance of MC without losing any data or having MC populate the library with thousands of bogus file pointers (like what I went thru last time) so here's the layout:

I want this new media/library server to serve my lossless library to the clients. These clients include 4 Windows 7 64Bit PC's and a WDTV Live. The music files (FLAC) are stored on a Windows Home Server - in the default Music share.  Now - the actual library files for this collection (3 years in the making) are stored on the Music share as well in \\SERVER\Library Files. This was done to ensure that I could add this library to any MC client (by actual path) - and that client would be accessing the actual library and see the most current adds, playlists etc. All edits to this library occur from my main office PC ONLY.

My plan is to install 16.0.75 on the WHS and set Media Server to startup automatically with the server OS. I want to have this instance use only a single library - the folder called Library Files located in the Music share. However (as I found out the hard way last time I tried this)...when I attempt to add this library to the instance of MC that is actually ON the server...it does not reconcile any path called \\SERVER\MUSIC....it's sees this location as something completely different - something like D:\shares\Music.

So how would I attempt to add this set of library files as a "new" library to the server based MC instance WITHOUT it going crazy and trying to scan folders etc. Last time I tried this - MC 15 added 16500 non-existent file paths to my library because it could not find them. Then I had to clean that all up and back out of the entire library server option as I thought my main library was completely trashed....

This library is several years in the making and has a number of custom fields, tags etc that I need to preserve..if anyone has a step by step on how to attempt this - I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

VP

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

It should be simple. To test it, create a library backup file on one of the clients and restore it on the server (to any library that is stored in some local folder). If the files play on the server, the server clients should work as well. (And also be able to access the played files through the "\\server\..." paths directly when the "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" setting is enabled).

... or are you saying that WHS actually prevents access to the "\\server\..." paths when a local program tries to do that? (This does not happen on XP, Vista or Windows 7, but I have no experience of WHS.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

olinbg

• Recent member

As has been mentioned before, using the "Map network drive..." feature in Windows can help with this as well.  If each machine has "Z:\Music\...", (I'm assuming WHS can mount drives in a similar fashion), then it simplifies the path management a bit.

Vocalpoint

... or are you saying that WHS actually prevents access to the "\\server\..." paths when a local program tries to do that? (This does not happen on XP, Vista or Windows 7, but I have no experience of WHS.)

No - it doesn't prevent it - but last time I tried this - I did not attempt to restore a backup since the actual library files I want to use are actually on the server. The library files sit in D:\shares\Music\Library Files\ according to what the server sees as the true path - but in the library itself the paths are embedded as \\SERVER\MUSIC -as this is what my office workstation uses as it's real path.

I fail to see how restoring a backup of this library to the server is going to solve the path problem. The restored backup will still reference \\SERVER\MUSIC just as using the real files would. As mentioned by olinbg - mapping a drive could be a viable option - but I was hoping I could somehow get into the library and use MC's "update database to point to new location" feature BEFORE MC starts making a mess out of the library as it plows ahead adding new path references in addition to all existing ones.

My major error last time was when I installed MC on the server and opened Library Manager to add the library - when I clicked on Location and selected the D:\shares\Music\Library Files\ as the path to the library files - once that was done - MC started adding all the files found there as D:\shares\Music\ACDC\Black In Black\01 Hells Bells.flac and the existing reference (\\SERVER\Music\ACDC\Back In Black\01 Hells Bells.flac) suddenly became invalid. After MC did it's thing - I ended up with 32000 file references....16000 of which pointed to D:\shares\Music and the other 16000 which pointed to \\SERVER\Music.

So - can I repoint this without major issues? Or am I hooped - outside of mapping a share called \\SERVER\Music on the server itself?

VP

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

... I fail to see how restoring a backup of this library to the server is going to solve the path problem. The restored backup will still reference \\SERVER\MUSIC just as using the real files would. As mentioned by olinbg - mapping a drive could be a viable option - but I was hoping I could somehow get into the library and use MC's "update database to point to new location" feature BEFORE MC starts making a mess out of the library as it plows ahead adding new path references in addition to all existing ones.

I doesn't matter if you restore a library or point a new library to existing library files, but when you are testing the behavior you can protect the "good" library files in the shared library location if you don't use them.

My major error last time was when I installed MC on the server and opened Library Manager to add the library - when I clicked on Location and selected the D:\shares\Music\Library Files\ as the path to the library files - once that was done - MC started adding all the files found there as D:\shares\Music\ACDC\Black In Black\01 Hells Bells.flac and the existing reference (\\SERVER\Music\ACDC\Back In Black\01 Hells Bells.flac) suddenly became invalid. After MC did it's thing - I ended up with 32000 file references....16000 of which pointed to D:\shares\Music and the other 16000 which pointed to \\SERVER\Music.

Why did you let Auto-import use the "D:\..." path? For testing disable Auto-Import and later configure it to import from the desired locations. Actually, since the Auto-Import locations and settings are stored in the library database files, the same settings you use on the client should be effective without changing anything. If this does not happen automatically you can go to the Auto-import settings immediately after the library is loaded and manually replicate the settings you use on your "main office PC".

So - can I repoint this without major issues? Or am I hooped - outside of mapping a share called \\SERVER\Music on the server itself?

There is no need to "repoint". The library on the server MC instance should use the same "\\server\..." paths for accessing the media files.

You can of course map the drive letters, but then you must do it on the clients and on the server. I have got the impression that WHS may not provide this option for local shares, but I may be wrong.

EDIT

No - it doesn't prevent it
the existing reference (\\SERVER\Music\ACDC\Back In Black\01 Hells Bells.flac) suddenly became invalid

I forgot to comment this. The above quotes are contradictory.

The paths should not have become invalid if the MC instance on the server can access the files. I wonder if WHS actually prevents local file access through its own shares.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vocalpoint

I doesn't matter if you restore a library or point a new library to existing library files, but when you are testing the behavior you can protect the "good" library files in the shared library location if you don't use them.

OK - I see the point now...:) I thought I could get away with just using the existing files....

Why did you let Auto-import use the "D:\..." path? For testing disable Auto-Import and later configure it to import from the desired locations. Actually, since the Auto-Import locations and settings are stored in the library database files, the same settings you use on the client should be effective without changing anything. If this does not happen automatically you can go to the Auto-import settings immediately after the library is loaded and manually replicate the settings you use on your "main office PC".

Well let me clarify....I do not allow MC to ever "auto import" anything. I always have that off by default . My mistake was manually pressing Run Auto Import Now on my lower toolbar. But here's where the train went off the rails. On one hand - you are saying that the locations and settings are stored in the library database files and that the same settings should be effective. But I can tell you that MC (on the server) has no knowledge whatsoever of a path called \\SERVER\MUSIC so when I pressed the Run Auto Import button - I recall getting an error. And that's when I believe I updated the location under Auto Import settings to D:\...

This resulted in 16000 new paths for the files found in d:\shares\Music PLUS the original 16000 paths for the music stored at \\SERVER\Music.

There is no need to "repoint". The library on the server MC instance should use the same "\\server\..." paths for accessing the media files.

Well I disagree - since the path \\SERVER\Music does not exist on the server. If it cannot find this path - it cannot access the files. But - in hindsight (this was long ago) - I remember using the Browse button when adding the library and "browsed" to D:\shares\Music and may have changed the auto import location as well. Perhaps I should have entered \\SERVER\MUSIC\Library Files\ in the location path...?

You can of course map the drive letters, but then you must do it on the clients and on the server. I have got the impression that WHS may not provide this option for local shares, but I may be wrong.

All clients and the WDTV Live already see this share as \\SERVER\MUSIC. It's created by the server during install and a shortcut to it placed on every desktop running the WHS client. It appears this way as standard to any box or device trying to access the media files. The only question is - can WHS actually make sense of this path...?

I just opened the Run command on the server - and typed \\SERVER\Music and the share opened fine...so it looks like it worked....

Appreciate any addition comments.

Cheers!

VP

olinbg

• Recent member

I think the most important thing is to take a full library backup and put it somewhere else before you start.  I've done two full restores from backup in the last six months, and both have gone without a hitch.

Vocalpoint

I think the most important thing is to take a full library backup and put it somewhere else before you start.  I've done two full restores from backup in the last six months, and both have gone without a hitch.

Well - I will try it again - following the points here:

1. Take a fresh backup of this library from my office PC
2. Install 16.0.75 on the server
3. Restore this backup as my main library - on the server
4. Ensure it doesn't auto import anything of the bat
5. Attempt to play a file (since both of you assume it should just work - then the library should be immediately ready to go?)
6. If a file cannot be played - then where to go next?
7. Edit/adjust location under Auto Import Options?
8. Anything else I need to adjust?

Thanks again for all the help....

Cheers!

VP

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

6. If a file cannot be played - then where to go next?

Try to find out if the sharing/security settings on the WHS machine do not allow the current user to access the files through the shares (I am just guessing since I have no experience of WHS).

Vocalpoint

Try to find out if the sharing/security settings on the WHS machine do not allow the current user to access the files through the shares (I am just guessing since I have no experience of WHS).

For item 6 as I recall....MC just showed a yellow "X" by every track when the library first opened....it wasn't a security issue - it was that the file could not be found at the current path specified....that's when I started clicking on stuff and mangled the library.....

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up