INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnail Rebuilding  (Read 7156 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Thumbnail Rebuilding
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:46:14 pm »

I'm starting to lose patience with MC because it spends more time rebuilding thumbnails (which in turn thrashes CPU/Disk) for hours on end etc than anything else.
Sometimes I tell it to just do it over night and all seems great... until it decides actually those ones it's built are no good and it needs to start all over again.
I've no idea what causes MC to need to rebuild thumbnails it built so recently.  :-[

Lasse_Lus

Re: Thumbnail Rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »

library-restore rebuilds thumbnails
MT5FR

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:53:53 pm »

Thanks but I've not used restore recently

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:04:03 pm »

Do you use a shared library folder?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:04:48 pm »

i backup my thumbs, i became tired of waiting 24 h  :)
MT5FR

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:16:18 pm »

i backup my thumbs, i became tired of waiting 24 h  :)

How do you do this? Thanks.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 02:17:06 pm »

Do you use a shared library folder?

The library is on an external drive as it is part of my portable install.  It's not shared in any fashion.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:23:36 pm »

How do you do this? Thanks.

nothing special actually, i copy the thumbnails located in "docs and settings" together with the library files. (i close MC while doing this)
MT5FR

joa_mb190

• Recent member
  • bubba
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 03:37:11 am »

Hi!

I have same problem i the beginning, I tryed to run shared DB but thumbnails must be reubild or is to slow so I used my own method.

I changed the location of thumbnails and db so it saved in "C:\J River\Media Center 16" with an regedit file.

On my computer that I import new media, I backup with xcopy file "Copy MC16 Library to [M].bat" (db+thumbnails) to my server (or a USB disc)
on alla others computers I run xcopy file "Copy MC16 Library to [C].bat" as copy db to local C: (mutch faster to run from C: ) this takes 10s and my db is 500Mb (db has over 100 000 files , 8500 albums)

This is the files:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM File for Backup to USB disc or server , save it to a text file and rename it to "Copy MC16 Library to [M].bat"
REM in this file I store localy on "C:\J River\Media Center 16"  and on server "M:\J River\Media Center 16"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c "xcopy "C:\J River\Media Center 16\Library" "M:\J River\Media Center 16\Library\" /s /e /y & xcopy "C:\J River\Media Center 16\Thumbnails" "M:\J River\Media Center 16\Thumbnails\" /s /e /y"
del m:\MC16_backup_*.log
echo MC16 Databas-Backup utförd %date% %time% > m:\MC16_backup_%date%.log
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM File for Restore from USB disc or server , save it to a text file and rename it to "Copy MC16 Library to [C].bat"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c "xcopy "M:\J River\Media Center 16\Library" "C:\J River\Media Center 16\Library\" /s /e /y & xcopy "M:\J River\Media Center 16\Thumbnails" "C:\J River\Media Center 16\Thumbnails\" /s /e /y"

AND before you run this "Copy MC16 Library to [M].bat" you must manually copy your db & thumbnails files to new path "C:\J River\Media Center 16\"
original store path is C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\

1. Close MC
2. Create "C:\J River\Media Center 16\"
3. Copy "C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Library" folder to "C:\J River\Media Center 16\Library"
4. Copy "C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Thumbnails" folder to "C:\J River\Media Center 16\Thumbnails"

Then you must run Regedit file to change the db store path (I run this changed path for all users whois logged in to my computer want to run from same db)

Create an textfile and paste text bellow into file and name it to "MC16 Library and Thumnails location on C.reg"
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 16\Properties]

"Library Directory"="C:\\J River\\Media Center 16\\Library\\"
"Library Name"="Default"

"Thumbnails - Version"=dword:00000003
"Thumbnails - Base Path"="C:\\J River\\Media Center 16\\Thumbnails\\"

"Library"="<XMLPH version=\"1,0\"><Item Name=\"Type\">1</Item><Item Name=\"Origin\">2</Item><Item Name=\"LibraryPath\">C:\\J River\\Media Center 16\\Library\\</Item><Item Name=\"LibraryServerURL\"/><Item Name=\"Hidden\">0</Item><Item Name=\"NamedByUser\">0</Item><Item Name=\"DisplayName\">JOA</Item><Item Name=\"LibraryServerAccessKey\"/><Item Name=\"DLNADeviceID\"/></XMLPH>"
"1"="<XMLPH version=\"1,0\"><Item Name=\"Type\">1</Item><Item Name=\"Origin\">2</Item><Item Name=\"LibraryPath\">C:\\J River\\Media Center 16\\Library\\</Item><Item Name=\"LibraryServerURL\"/><Item Name=\"Hidden\">0</Item><Item Name=\"NamedByUser\">0</Item><Item Name=\"DisplayName\">JOA</Item><Item Name=\"LibraryServerAccessKey\"/><Item Name=\"DLNADeviceID\"/></XMLPH>"

5. Run file , klick OK to import into your register
6. Start MC and test , all changed here is stored in db that you can restore to another computer.
7. If runs OK , run "Copy MC16 Library to [M].bat" (you must in this file change path if you want another path).
8. Now you can run "Copy MC16 Library to [C].bat" on another computer but you must do the db&thumbnails thing firts. 1 to 5
you dont need to run "Copy MC16 Library to [C].bat" on your import MC that computer has the "master" db

The files can be downloded here:
http://panna.homeip.net/download/JrMediaCenter
delete the last extenstion .txt on the files you downloaded.

Hope this is a help to you, If you have further questions dont hesitate to mail or write here.

//Jonas

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 05:00:09 am »

Thanks Jonas,

I've just discovered that one thing that is wiping out my thumbnails is opening the regular install of MC.
When I do this when I next open my portable install the thumbnails are gone.

This is strange as the library's are completely separate, as are the locations of the thumbnails as far as I can see

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:20 am »

I've just discovered that one thing that is wiping out my thumbnails is opening the regular install of MC.
When I do this when I next open my portable install the thumbnails are gone.

This is strange as the library's are completely separate, as are the locations of the thumbnails as far as I can see

i reported that earlier but no response, but what happens is that MC16 creates a new library ID, every time MC reinstalls, so it clones your existing library to a "new" and then recreate the thumbs, you will also loose the import config..

(i don't know if this only applies for portable installs)
MT5FR

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 04:38:11 pm »

i reported that earlier but no response, but what happens is that MC16 creates a new library ID, every time MC reinstalls, so it clones your existing library to a "new" and then recreate the thumbs, you will also loose the import config..

(i don't know if this only applies for portable installs)

I think actually you're on to something there Lasse.  I just tried reinstalling the current build and lo and behold my thumbnails instantly disappeared.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:09:39 am »

if you check the thumbnail directory you will find a new id like {EYOP4E2DE0-XXXX-4A23-XXXX-022F07DA1FCF} every time you install, that is not correct..
MT5FR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:02 pm »

Coming in 16.0.86 and newer:
Fixed: Performing an upgrade of a portable installation could cause thumbnails to be deleted.

Sorry for the trouble.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:38 pm »

Coming in 16.0.86 and newer:
Fixed: Performing an upgrade of a portable installation could cause thumbnails to be deleted.

Sorry for the trouble.

Pages: [1]   Go Up