INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm Keeping MC12 Installed Just for This?  (Read 2166 times)

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
I'm Keeping MC12 Installed Just for This?
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:18:04 pm »

Tagging photos in MC16 is so much more difficult (than in MC12) because of the loss of one very simple thing.

In MC16 , in between each edit I have go to the mouse for, not one, but two clicks.
In MC12 the hands could just stay on the keyboard as you moved down the list in the same field.
That can't be? I must be doing it wrong?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: I'm Keeping MC12 Installed Just for This?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:02:24 am »

I agree. Applying captions in MC should be a lot easier than it is. I envisage being able to apply a caption by clicking under the thumbnail. Focus has moved on to MC17 now though, so any improvement in this area would require you to jump to that version.

I see "UHU".... Man, I've not seen that stuff since I was a kid!

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:12:38 am »

i use doof's plugin captionater 3000, i think it's superb...and i also think that jriver should integrate what it does into MC.. 
MT5FR

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »

Yeah, but Lasse_Lus, it's not just Captions!  It's naming and any other field that you may like to enter data  into (for multiple files)while you're looking at the thumbnails!

It's not like it's been replaced with something - it's just been left out somewhere between MC12 and MC16
A straight up reduction of common sense functionality.

I used to provide regular assistance to newbies and put suggestions and ideas to this forum pretty frequently about ten years ago.
Many were given lip service, none were adopted.
I'm just too weary for it these days.
I just want the program to get better, not take away things that I love and have come to rely on.

So how it about MC people?
Can this basic functionality be re-instated in an upcoming MC17 beta?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »

Coming in 17.0.34 and newer:
NEW: Added support for Page Up / Page Down while editing in the Tag Action Window to move between files in a list.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:16 am »

Sweet!

MusicHawk

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:51:56 pm »

Some controversial tagging/editing changes were made late in MC15's evolution, which switched default tag editing behavior to searching for tags, then presenting small subsets, with more actions needed to see a larger selection, ultimately requiring more typing/mousing to get to the desired tags. Overlaying these actions on keystrokes also added steps to field/tag navigation.

There was a BIG discussion about the changes, such as http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60366.0. In summary, some users (including me) find the keyboard much faster than mousing, know exactly what tags we use so no need to be searching for anything, and just want to efficiently select and apply desired tags. (Pane tagging was/is not a useful alternative when there are many fields, and many, many tags in most fields, plus it's not keyboard efficient either.)  I realize that this "problem" might mean little or nothing to some users, but as the old discussions show, for some of us it is a really BIG PROBLEM.

The switch to forced searching essentially broke the product for my primary use. I spend 90% of my MC time tagging/managing a huge music library -- two-dozens tags/fields per track, dozens to hundreds of tags for some fields -- so every hand move and keystroke counts. My solution is to run MC 15.0.122 on my music editing PC; this seems to be the last version with the original efficient tag editing behavior.

(My music playback PC runs an even-older MC15 because I prefer the display mode that uses ActiveX visualizations, but that's not a show stopper.)

During the controversy (and still NOW) I wished for TWO tagging/editing modes, one that does new-style searching for those users it helps, but ALSO retaining the original super-fast straight-line keyboard field editing and navigation mode. It seems unnecessary to discard a superior feature of MC. Maybe the two editing modes could be on Function keys to be invoked as desired, and/or allow the user to set which mode is the default behavior. If MC17 could restore its lost editing efficiency I'd happily give up on MC15.

To avoid flames about not keeping up, please note that I've used the product since MJ7, I'm paid up through MC17, and I've been using MC16 for photo and video library management. With far fewer tags to manage for photos and videos, the search-style edit mode isn't as annoying, though I still find it clumsy and slow. And for photos I sometimes use pane-tagging, though that's also a tad clumsy with many, many tags (I always end up with many, many tags :P).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up