INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customized views linked to the loaded library  (Read 1806 times)

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Customized views linked to the loaded library
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:23:41 am »

1)
When I load a different library the customized views e.g. for the DLNA server changes as well i.e. for each library you can have a distinct library view. This seems somehow explainable to me although it increases configuration work load on me ... some time ago I already requested the possibility to have a load/save in the views.

2)
The second thing which I consider as a bug. If I'am using a library already used by another instance of MC it gets read-only - thats ok - then I configure my DLNA server view and it gets lost when I restart MC. Assuming from 1) that the DLNA server view is not stored in the library I can't see the point why my settings can't be stored in that case.

thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Customized views linked to the loaded library
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:04:27 am »

DLNA server views are stored in the library.  If the library is read-only, changes will not persist.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:11:57 am »

But the second instance of MC (by the way is on a different machine) accessing the library in read-only doesn't see the views of my first instance?
thx

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:54:34 am »

I liked this to bump simply because it annoys me to re-create my views so often ...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:51:35 am »

DLNA servers are machine (user account actually) specific.

So if you run two DLNA servers on two different machines, they will have different library views.  This is because a server must present a unique GUID on the network, so two machines sharing a GUID (and by extension library views) would cause troubles.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:08 am »

I appreciate all your explanations but still they confusing:
"... DLNA server views are stored in the library ..."
"... DLNA servers are machine (user account actually) specific ..."

No offence ... but shall I care? I'am complaining that the library view is not stored when connected to a read-only library. (Reproduce: From a different computer open an existing library already opened by another instance of MC - change the DLNA view - your changes won't get stored)
AND that there is no possibility to store/reload the views. I'd like to have same views for DLNA and Web-View, from my migration of MC15 to MC16 my views have been lost again ... I think I've already created the views a 10th time!

thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »

I appreciate all your explanations but still they confusing:
"... DLNA server views are stored in the library ..."
"... DLNA servers are machine (user account actually) specific ..."

No offence ... but shall I care? I'am complaining that the library view is not stored when connected to a read-only library. (Reproduce: From a different computer open an existing library already opened by another instance of MC - change the DLNA view - your changes won't get stored)
AND that there is no possibility to store/reload the views. I'd like to have same views for DLNA and Web-View, from my migration of MC15 to MC16 my views have been lost again ... I think I've already created the views a 10th time!

I'm not sure I understand.

If you have read-only access, you can't save changes.  Get read/write access and make your changes.

But remember that DLNA Server views are specific to that machine.  The views will be saved in the library but saved in a way that they are only used for that one machine (by including the GUID specific to that machine).  This means running a DLNA Server on a Library Server Client is not really supported.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:36:29 pm »

Ok - all understood ... but does this really need to be:
"... but saved in a way that they are only used for that one machine ..."

My point is: If I'am connecting to the same library I would like to have the same DLNA view. The left pane in MCs main view (showing Audio, Image, Video etc...) behaves similar: same library same view.

What happens if my computer crashes and I get a new one - I'll need to re-create all my DLNA views? I'am somehow trying to argue that the current implementation could be improved ...
MC allows to have several DLNA server configurations (by adding another DLNA server). So please allow me to make a suggestion:

Show all DLNA Server configs independant of the GUID, but allow a switch e.g. "visible from this computer" wich is machine dependant.
The benefits: consistent with the/my expectations "same library same views" and still no offence to other users which really want to have different views using same library on different machines. Further I can maintain one library and expect my MediaServer (which is on another machine) to reflect the changes (on restart of course).

thx

PS: still I'am bumping another issue: why must Web-View be different to DLNA view? Maintaining MC gets real hard work nowadays ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up