INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Quirk (Could Lead to User Problems)  (Read 683 times)

AlonsoN

Library Quirk (Could Lead to User Problems)
« on: June 02, 2002, 07:21:06 pm »

When a new library is created, MJ askes for a name and location.  If the location is the same as an existing library, the new library IS the old library.

-One would expect that if MJ can not handle two libraries in the same folder that it would give a warning.

-Given that there is no verbage to the contrary in the Add Library dialog, it would be reasonable to guess that the new library name diferentiates it from any existing libraries and that you can put them in the same folder.

-Have not tried this, but I suspect that if the user realizes that he has a problem, and tries to fix it by deleting the new libarary, that both the new and old will go away, which might tend to confuse/anger the user.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Library Quirk (Could Lead to User Problems)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 05:50:14 am »

AlonsoN, you're absolutely right.  However, the latest build of 8.0 won't allow the creation of a second database with the same directory as an existing library.

Hopefully that's an alright solution for the time being...

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Chico

RE:Library Quirk (Could Lead to User Problems)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2002, 09:03:21 am »

I agree.  Once a library is created in a particular directory, any attempt to create a new library in the same folder will simply point to the existing library due to the fact that all MJ library files have the same name regardless of the name of the library. The different libraries are distiguish by thier location only. It would be nice to have each MJ library file be identified by a unique name that would reflect the name of the library.  That way, all MJ libraries can be stored in a central location.  An example would be if I created a library called "Music", MJ would create a Music_MF.jmd for Music Mediafiles, Music_CP.jmd for Current Playlist, and so on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up