INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need an HTPC to acheive this?  (Read 1570 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Do I need an HTPC to acheive this?
« on: May 06, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »

I have MC16 on a PC in one room. It has 6tb of disc attached via USB which contains my media. The PC is connected to the internet via a wireless router.

I have my home theater system in another room. Lots of stuff (e.g. plasma screen, Yamaha receiver, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, turntables, DVR, Cable...). I also have a PS3 here. I have the PS3 connected to the internet via the wireless router. I use the PS3 as a DLNA media server with MC16. Through the PS3 I can then play my MC music library, view pictures, etc. I don't the PS3 for video from MC as the bandwidth over the wireless network is not high enough. But for music and pictures it is fine.

But...

I want to use the MC Theater View as my interface on the home theater system for music and pictures, which you can't do using the PS3.

So what's the most practical way to achieve this? Do I need an HTPC? I don't really want to spend too much money (e.g. $500 or less?).

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Do I need an HTPC to acheive this?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:07:52 pm »

OK I don't if this would work, but it may...

If your graphics card has a second output, you may be able to run a cable from that to your TV (depending on distance, difficulty, walls etc)
Set MC to be able to run multiple instances in the options menu.
Set the second instance on your TV.

If you do this, you'll need an IR reciever in your living room wired into your other room, with a transmitter pointed to your PC IR receiver.
You'd then need to hope MC will let you control 1 instance with a remote, and not ther other. Otherwise every time you press play, it will play on both...

If you're in the states you should be able to pick up a mini ITX that will do what you want for <$500. For all the effort of the other method, that's what I'd be doing...

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:25:22 am »

OK thanks... you got me thinking.

I have HDMI output on my PC. It looks like there are wireless HDMI transmitter/receivers that can be used to connect my PC to the home theater system. I don't know if this one is the best, but it's an example. http://www.amazon.com/WiCast-EW2000-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B0042JST4E/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

I'll research this more. If anyone has any suggestions for this type of device I would appreciate it.

Still have to sort out the remote control.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 11:37:36 am »

Still have to sort out the remote control.

I have a remote that came with the PC that works.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:52:47 pm »

OK I don't if this would work, but it may...

If your graphics card has a second output, you may be able to run a cable from that to your TV (depending on distance, difficulty, walls etc)
Set MC to be able to run multiple instances in the options menu.
Set the second instance on your TV.

If you do this, you'll need an IR reciever in your living room wired into your other room, with a transmitter pointed to your PC IR receiver.
You'd then need to hope MC will let you control 1 instance with a remote, and not ther other. Otherwise every time you press play, it will play on both...

If you're in the states you should be able to pick up a mini ITX that will do what you want for <$500. For all the effort of the other method, that's what I'd be doing...

This is a great idea for something else I was thinking about! Or at least the idea of running multiple instances on the same PC but on different screens is one I could use... if you can use Tremote on one instance to play on the other!
Pages: [1]   Go Up