INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: used Ipod nano Gen3 - not compatible  (Read 2109 times)

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I guess after 8 years I could type something.
used Ipod nano Gen3 - not compatible
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »

I've seen some answers, but nothing recent so I'll post my specific question.  I purchased a used 3rd gen nano that the previous owner left w/ music.  MC 12 gave me an error and advised updating  MC.  I downloaded MC 16 and get the same error:

Another program transferring files to your iPod is writing date in a newer format (unknown) than the one currently supported by Media Center (iTunes 9.0.1).
Due to this, one or both of the programs may have trouble reading the data and my require restoring the iPod or re-synching content.
If you experience problems, please try updating to the latest version of Media Center.

Do I have to bite the bullet and install Itunes?  Is there a way to re-format the Ipod to where MC will recognize it?

Thanks,
Ginty

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: used iPod nano Gen3 - not compatible
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:38:18 pm »

MC does actually recognize the iPod. MC's just telling you that if you use it with MC natively and you switch back and forth from iTunes you may get database corruption. If you don't care about the music on it, you could just initialize it in MC (right click on it and do initialize ipod).

Your other option (in 16 anyway) would be to tell MC to ignore the device and use the File->Export to iTunes and iPhone option (requires iTunes installed on your PC). This uses the iTunes API to write to the iPod. This method however only let's you export playlists to the iPod.

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: used Ipod nano Gen3 - not compatible
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:43:46 pm »

I can't initialize the ipod.  It shows up in the explorer window and then disconnects a few seconds later.  Is there a way to fix that?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:49:29 pm »

Seems odd. Do you have itunes installed on that machine? If so, you may have to set it to allow disk use for the iPod or disable iTunesHelper in msconfig->startup.

ginty32

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:33 pm »

I was able to use my home pc to sync the Ipod.  I'll work on my pc at work.  Halfway there anyhow.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up