INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Netflix Integration: Ideas for new features welcome  (Read 4107 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Netflix Integration: Ideas for new features welcome
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:44:21 am »

Thanks for the ideas.  So far we've got the following implemented in our development build:

1. Grouping multiple TV episodes into a single collection to de-clutter the main queue listing.
2. Auto switching to full screen.
3. Remote control of pause/play/ff/rw.
4. Media Center's playback window shows approximate position in movie and seek bar is functional.

We'll continue to focus on the Netflix viewing experience.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:24:00 pm »

I must sound like a broken record but what about the theater view YouTube experience!? Is that going to be improved? There's lots of threads on the topic. Slow to start playback, slow to ff/rew, long delays in buffering etc etc. Being outside the U.S., means that netflix is useless to me but I'd LOVE a good YouTube experience.

I've resorted to YouTube/xl in the interim but I'd rather use MC!!

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:26 am »

I signed up for a trial version of Netflix just to try the new features. We watched a few movies over the weekend. The Theater View integration was great. However, it was difficult to access the full screen mode. I had to pause and quickly click "Full Screen" before the overlay disappeared. It usually took several tries. Also, sometimes changing the volume would make me loose full screen and I'd have to go through the process again.

Matt said this in a thread from last summer, "Hulu and Netflix do not allow native playback in third party playback engines on the PC, so we can not control sound routing.  From JRiver's perspective, this is lousy.  But it is out of JRiver's control." If you can work on this, it would be great. I have my HTPC connected directly to my amp and rely on Room Correction for bass management, etc. If MC added something like Virtual Audio Cable, you could route the audio through MC's DSP chain.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:06:47 pm »

I signed up for a trial version of Netflix just to try the new features. We watched a few movies over the weekend. The Theater View integration was great. However, it was difficult to access the full screen mode. I had to pause and quickly click "Full Screen" before the overlay disappeared. It usually took several tries. Also, sometimes changing the volume would make me loose full screen and I'd have to go through the process again.

You shouldn't use (or need) the fullscreen mode button of the webpage player.

Media Center should make it fullscreen automatically using your regular way (Green Button, etc).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »

You shouldn't use (or need) the fullscreen mode button of the webpage player.

Media Center should make it fullscreen automatically using your regular way (Green Button, etc).
But this only worked well in the very last MC16 build.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »

I downloaded version 16.0.16 on my work computer and Netflix went to fullscreen automatically. I put the same version on my HTPC and Netflix still won't go to fullscreen automatically. Also, if I manually go fullscreen it reverts back with any volume change. At work my monitor is 1920x1080 and at home we use a monitor at 1920x1200 when not using the projector (720P). Does it only go to fullscreen with 720P and 1080p? The movies I have tried this on are 4:3.

What is the regular way when using a keyboard? I have my movies set to automatically start in Display View and they are already fullscreen.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:49:58 am »

What is the regular way when using a keyboard? I have my movies set to automatically start in Display View and they are already fullscreen.
F11 once or twice?  Or Ctrl-number (1 to 5) -- I've forgotten which is Display View.

It definitely could be the 1200 instead of 1280.  It's been tricky getting this right.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:50:02 am »

To be clear, the Netflix movies will start in Display View. I don't need to switch to that view. However, when in Display View a 4:3 movie does not fill the screen vertically until I pause playback and the Netflix fullscreen button appears for about 2 seconds on the bottom to the right of their progress bar. The picture below isn't really a good example because that one is full screen. On my HTPC the image has about 1/2" of black at the top and 3/4" at the bottom.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:12 am »

16.0.18 - 12. NEW: Added genre browsing to Theater View Netflix.

While this certainly makes it easier to use Netflix with Theater View, I would like the option to turn everything off but the Instant Queue. This allows me to give my family access only to the movies I have placed in the queue. The genre browsing also takes a while to download the coverart for each genre and causes delays while waiting. Having just the Instant Queue eliminates the possibility of it hanging for a while and the kids pressing more keys/arrows because they think something is wrong.

I actually think it would be neat for the Instant Queue items to show up with the rest of your movies. That way you could browse to Video, select Movies and then be able to choose from your own ripped movies and the Netflix movies in your Instant Queue. The source for the content would be irrelevant and the focus would be just on the content.

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:22 pm »

mojave: try viewing Benji in today's build.  The aspect ratio problem should be fixed.  Let us know if you run into another title with black bars when they shouldn't be needed.  Also it shouldn't be so slow moving between the genres.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:07:37 am »

The 4:3 stuff works fine now. However, I did run into another video that doesn't fill the screen. It is Discovery Atlas:  China Revealed. It is available in HD streaming, but my speed isn't fast enough for the HD stream. I think it is 16:9, but the video seems like it is encoded within the resolution at a smaller size so there are black bars on top and sides. One would need to zoom in to fill the screen.

When I use my projector and when watching something with a wide AR, like 2.35:1, I like to lower the image to the bottom of my screen and then I retract my screen to that aspect ratio (I have a screen that pulls up from the floor). For Vertical Position my video is off center by -13%. There may be others that need to move the Vertical Position depending on the source material's aspect ratio. It would be nice to allow vertical or horizontal position shift with Netflix, too.

gappie

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 04:39:54 pm »

I must sound like a broken record but what about the theater view YouTube experience!? Is that going to be improved? There's lots of threads on the topic. Slow to start playback, slow to ff/rew, long delays in buffering etc etc. Being outside the U.S., means that netflix is useless to me but I'd LOVE a good YouTube experience.

I've resorted to YouTube/xl in the interim but I'd rather use MC!!

Thanks.
yep.. would be nice.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 06:06:12 pm »

Would it be possible to get an indicator as to which videos have been already watched (as per Netflix)?  This helps select the next video in a series.

Also, right-clicking brings up the Display menu, but nothing in it is selectable.  Seems like right-click should be disabled in this mode.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »

Would it be possible to get an indicator as to which videos have been already watched (as per Netflix)?  This helps select the next video in a series.

It's on our list.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:36:41 am »

Great work on this!  Any way there could be another "roller item" for the Instant Queue in the original queue order so we can see what has just been added (although if it's only one or the other I would prefer to keep the alphabetical list).  Also, a simple "Loading" message in the list area would be nice to not think it is "locked up".

I get some strange behavior with the MC time line.  It seems to show "0:00" until I fast forward some or pause.  Sometimes it shows "Paused" when it is playing.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 09:01:34 pm »

Have just gained access to Netflix and love the integration in MC.

One thing I would like to see though is a cover art view instead of the list view...

Well done again, guys!

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Re: Netflix Integration: Ideas for new features welcome
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:20 am »

You should see covers in Netflix in Theater View.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 07:49:04 am »

Hi Jim,

If I go to Recommended, I see the Cover View (large cover icons, name underneath, 4 * 4 layout), however if I go to say, Action & Adventure genre, I get the list view (SMALL covers with film name beside them).

Is there any way to make the "Cover View" the default for all genres?

Cheers,

Justin.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 02:48:37 am »

Further to this, how often do Netflix Instant Queue and Recommended update in Theater View? Mine haven't done so since I first connected to Netflix.

Edit: It seems these update every time MC actually loads up. Any chance we could get them refreshed every 24 hours or so?
Pages: [1]   Go Up