INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How not too write "Tool Name" and "Tool Version" too tags?  (Read 6430 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe

Is there a way too not write tool name and tool version when tagging? Under "Manage library fields", i can turn of taggings for fields, but the tool-tags doesn't seem to be in this list?

221bBS

Re: How not too write "Tool Name" and "Tool Version" too tags?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:26:14 am »

Nope, you can't pick what gets written to the tags. Either all or nothing.

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:47:02 am »

Thats not the case i think, you can pick and choose in the manage Library Fields. But other tags are easier anyhow, because you can choose them, and choose not to use them, tool version and tool name is written by default in addition to the tags i actually change, and I can't find a place to turn them off.

221bBS

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:17:36 am »

Yeah your right, never seen an options to turn those off.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:36:20 am »

Is there a way too not write tool name and tool version when tagging? Under "Manage library fields", i can turn of taggings for fields, but the tool-tags doesn't seem to be in this list?

There is no way to avoid writing these two file tags if you want to write some other tag changes to the files.

You can disable file tagging completely in general options (untick "Update tags when file info changes"). All tag changes will then be stored only in the database and the disk files will stay intact. Personally I have found the new Toolbar button for this option very handy. Right-click the top or bottom Toolbar to configure the buttons.

I guess the JRiver developers might want to ask why these tags bother you. MC adds the Tool tags only when some other tag change has already triggered tag writing. If you would like to avoid unnecessary incremental backup sessions, even without writing these tags your files would not stay unchanged when you save any other tag changes to the files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

flac.rules

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:32 am »

Well, the reason is easy, I want useful data in my tags, I don't find that data useful.

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:16 am »

Well, the reason is easy, I want useful data in my tags, I don't find that data useful.

+1

Are those file tags used by MC for anything?

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »

I don't find that data useful.

If one is using files from a variety of sources using different tool, it might be helpful to see which one last tagged the file. If there's ever a problem with how the tags are being written, it might be critical to be able to identify the tool and version last used. There's nothing wrong with a preference not to have them, but why does it matter? It seems too trivial to bother adding an option to suppress them.

flac.rules

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:15 am »

If one is using files from a variety of sources using different tool, it might be helpful to see which one last tagged the file. If there's ever a problem with how the tags are being written, it might be critical to be able to identify the tool and version last used. There's nothing wrong with a preference not to have them, but why does it matter? It seems too trivial to bother adding an option to suppress them.

It might be in some situations. Its not for me, i have a program that checks the tags for evntual problems which i use, and a very specific order in which i write tags. It matters because the more clutter there is in the tags, the less user-friendly they are, especially with custom-tags like this, which you usually view together with all your other tags. And frankly, they are pretty useless, If there should be no options, they should rather be removed totally. No other of my programs that tags write these tags. All I can read out of them is that MC at some time in history has written to the tag, I can extract no info about if it was last or not.

seiferflo

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 05:15:43 am »

Hi,

I'm re-uping that topic as I am starting to use JRiver.

I also do not understand why this Tool Name and Tool version tags are here. No tagging software or player I used before ever wrote these tags in the file.
I would very much like to disable them as I am also in Elvis133 situation.

Could you please get back to me when possible?
Thank you for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up