INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I display image resolution?  (Read 2214 times)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
Can I display image resolution?
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:14:14 pm »

Is there a way to display a column for image resolution?

i.e. 150 dpi

I didn't see anything in the choices for columns. Perhaps a way to define a custom column with an expression?
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can I display image resolution?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:35:48 pm »

Dimensions are available with the Width and Height columns.

You can also add an expression column with the expression "Size()" to combine them.

There's not a way to show DPI, although that's sort of arbitrary with most digital images.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:59:05 pm »

Thanks, Matt

Bummer, I'll have to guess at the dpi by looking at the dimensions and the filesize and send to another program to see the actual information.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:27:25 pm »

A quick work around for you.

Right click the image, select Locate->On disk (external).  This will bring you to a Windows Explorer view.  You can then view in Explorer's Details mode.  Add the columns Horizontal Resolution and Vertical Resolution.  Now you can see the info you want.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:30:44 am »

Thanks MrC,

I use Directory Opus, so it's easier for me to simply open that way, I've got "Lister" set up as a MC 'Send To' (External) and then I just select properties.  It sure would be easier to have it as a viewable column in MC, though; after all, as you point out, it's a easily retrievable field in IE or in my case Directory Opus.

Thanks again, I was just trying to streamline for a common task.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:41 am »

Why do you need to know the dpi (dots per inch) value? It is just a tag in the file header. I does not tell how detailed the image file is.

EDIT

The dimension values in pixels are a lot more informative (the Dimensions, Width, and Height library fields). You can actually create a calculated field that shows the megapixel value. I use a "kilopixel" field for small images. Search the forum for "kilopixel" to find my instructions.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:29:09 am »

Alex B,

The reason is that I have art for much of my music library. I'm standardizing the sizes and resolutions of much of them. As I run across them I make the modifications that I want to the images. Having the information viewable in MC would make it much easier for me to identify the ones which need to be modified since I wouldn't have to look the information up with another program. For that matter, if it was viewable within MC, I could write an expression for a smartlist to identify the ones I need to work on. As it is now, I have to guess at the approximate resolution based on pixel width/height in relation to the file size.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:32:48 am »

As I said, dpi does not tell the resolution. (See also my edit above.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

Alex B,

Well, perhaps I am using the wrong nomenclature or not expressing my needs as well as I could.

I'm trying to get my images to mostly be 120 mm high (for CD art). I'm setting the dpi to either 127, 254 or 508 dpi. This will give me a total pixel height of 600, 1200 or 2400 pixels. I have some images which are at total heights of 600 pixels but the dpi is different and therefore not the desired document size. Being able to see the dpi would allow me not to have to unnecessarily open the files externally to do what I want to do.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »

OK, this has progressed further than I had intended it to. I asked a simple question and got a simple answer: NO. I accept that and have moved on. It has been implied that I shouldn't want this information, but I do nonetheless. That I can't get it through MC is an inconvenience, but not a big deal. I thought that since the information was available that there may have been a way for MC to display it. I could not figure this out so I reached out to the community to see if someone else had. Thank you all for reading my query and responding to it.

Alex B, the "kilopixel" script shows promise, but even with that I'm skeptical. I think I would need to interpolate the results because not all images are of a standard size. For example, some CD art is in booklet form and some is in fold-out form. I don't think that I would always be able to identify which files are in need of modifying to fit what I'm trying to do. I'll still play around with it and see how it works. Maybe it will work and I'll be happily surprised ;) .

Thanks again, and if anybody thinks of anything else, reply to the thread. I'll keep my email notification active to watch it.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:58 pm »

I like that little script, I see where it may be useful, but only in identifying those audio files whose embedded files differ from the size I'm expecting. Even if it does return the expected outcome (usually 600) it will not necessarily mean that the document size of that embedded image is what I want. I don't think I'll use it, however, because of the fact that I'll never be sure of dpi anyway. As I verify the image files, I've been removing cover art and then adding it back anyway to verify that I've got what I want embedded.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »

A digital image doesn't have a physical dimension. DPI is just an arbitrary thing used for printing applications to help the user relate print size to the resulting resolution. A 600 x 600 image is a 600 x 600 image. At 100 dpi, that's 6" x 6". At 300 dpi, the same image is 2" x 2". Neither measure has any bearing on how the image is displayed on screen. Conversely, the same image could be said to have any dpi from 0 (for an infinitely large image) to 600 (the number of pixels).

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »

rick.ca,

Thanks, the files on my machine amazingly do get used for printing/and or other programs. The why I want to see the dpi is not the point here. I want it for my use. That it can't be seen in MC is the point. I'm dealing with this fact just fine, it merely would have been convenient for me if I had been able to see this data without going to another program. I thought maybe it was possible and asked to find out.

Again, thanks for your help.

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:03 am »

The why I want to see the dpi is not the point here.

It is if you're expecting a useful response. If the circumstances and what you're trying to achieve were clear, someone might be able offer some solutions. Or explain why there are none. For example, if of the subject matter is CD art, then barring highly unusual things like folded posters, the original dimensions of the subject can easily be deduced from the aspect ratio. The dpi can then be calculated from either dimension. So you could create an expression that reports the exact dpi of any such item, or "undetermined" if the subject doesn't fit anything that's expected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up