INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lyrics downloader  (Read 2912 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Lyrics downloader
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:03 pm »

I'm looking for a program (or even plugin for another program if its strictly needed), that can help me download lyrics. Preferably something that downloads from many sites, and picks the best lyrics (with timestamps?). I want to write the lyrics to the tags for use with my media files in MC. (flac and mp3). Any tips for a program and/or plugin? Any suggestions welcome, I now nothing about whats "on the marked".

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Lyrics downloader
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:15:57 pm »

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »

Thanks a lot for the tips, I have tried it out a tiny bit, But i have some problems. First of all it has a weird tendency to just jump from song to song in the playlist? Have you experienced anything similar?

It seems like Lyrics 3v2  is not even found in the tags by MC? (or foobar), The synchronized lyrics are not supported by MC (and foobar does not find them), The unsynchronized lyrics seem to work fine (tagging-wise), do you have similar experiences?

Is there a way to make the program run through your library and/or playing now (or a folder), and autotag them all? As opposed to showing a lyrics window and tagging manually?

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »

Have you experienced anything similar?

It's a known bug with a simple solution. See MiniLyrics broken?

The synchronized lyrics are not supported by MC

Correct. But MiniLyrics does write unsynchronized lyrics as well. I haven't tested it, but I believe the problem I originally reported in Is there a way to grab lyrics easily? was recently resolved. (To be precise, a problem was resolved—I'm just not sure it was the cause of the trouble with the MiniLyrics unsyncrhronized tags not being readable.)

While the user-contributed synchronized lyrics supplied by MiniLyrics may be the only sort of thing available for that purpose, it's definitely not the best source for unsyncrhronized lyrics. But as you seem to realize...

Is there a way to make the program run through your library and/or playing now (or a folder), and autotag them all?

...it's also important that they can be obtained in a reasonably automated way. The best solution I'm aware of is the one described here—using a foobar2000 plugin to get lyrics from LyricWiki and write them to the file tags.

Although the WikiLyrics lyrics obtained this way are also user-contributed, they seem to be of a better and more consistent quality that those downloaded by MiniLyrics. For a large portion of the songs for which it has lyrics, WikiLyrics also has the "official" Gracenote lyrics. So it's also a good first place to look if the downloaded (user-contributed version) is not of the quality desired. I use MC Links to lookup what's available at WikiLyrics for that purpose.

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:53 pm »

Thanks for very useful feedback. Indeed it seems like the Wikilyrics is a better source. The lyrics i got via the foobar-plugin was of better quality and greater number than the ones from minilyrics. Too bad they are not synchronized though, that is a useful feature. I found another plugin foo_uie_lyrics2, that claims to get lyrics, including synchronized. but i can't get it to work.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:38 pm »

Too bad they are not synchronized though, that is a useful feature. I found another plugin foo_uie_lyrics2, that claims to get lyrics, including synchronized. but i can't get it to work.

You may as well stick with MiniLyrics for synchronized lyrics. Even if you found a better source, you would still need something to display them with. This post illustrates how it can be used in Theatre View.
Pages: [1]   Go Up