INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstreaming and VideoClock  (Read 1536 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Bitstreaming and VideoClock
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »

As I understand it, videoclock only works if you allow MC to process audio internally (via PCM).  Therefore, shouldn't choosing to bitstream audio in MC's video options disable the videoclock option altogether? Some may find this misleading. 

On a related note..... what I'd really love is the option to allow MC to process all audio internally (to make use of all the DSP features like videoclock) but then package the data to a DTS stream (if using spdif for example) at the final stage. MC can already do this for AC3 but DTS in this case would offer a higher quality final result. Make sense?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Bitstreaming and VideoClock
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:23:10 pm »

As I understand it, videoclock only works if you allow MC to process audio internally (via PCM).  Therefore, shouldn't choosing to bitstream audio in MC's video options disable the videoclock option altogether? Some may find this misleading.

That's right, but remember that bitstreaming only engages for some formats.  You might want VideoClock for formats you aren't bitstreaming.

On a related note..... what I'd really love is the option to allow MC to process all audio internally (to make use of all the DSP features like videoclock) but then package the data to a DTS stream (if using spdif for example) at the final stage. MC can already do this for AC3 but DTS in this case would offer a higher quality final result. Make sense?

I think the difference between the highest quality AC3 (what we use now) and DTS would be subtle.  If you're worried about that level of quality, I would recommend switching to a connection that doesn't require encoding at all like HDMI or analog.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Bitstreaming and VideoClock
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »

That's right, but remember that bitstreaming only engages for some formats.  You might want VideoClock for formats you aren't bitstreaming.

Ah, right!

I think the difference between the highest quality AC3 (what we use now) and DTS would be subtle.  If you're worried about that level of quality, I would recommend switching to a connection that doesn't require encoding at all like HDMI or analog.

I take your point re using HDMI or analog. I have several systems and my preference is to use LPCM over HDMI where possible. Not really worried per se. I only raised the question as it relates to a specific SPDIF setup I have. Good to know in this case, DTS is unlikely to offer me too much more. 

Cheers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up