INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no video streaming to clients/ and jriver is making duplicate files/cache's  (Read 4149 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

as i mentioned earlier, i'm TRYING to move to 16. So i'm giving it a go.

One huge problem...
on 15 i use to be able to click connect to library, chose server, and videos would play, and instantly!
Now i chose to connect to server. and whenever i chose ANY VIDEO file i get a popup on clients saying server is preparing the file? Also it is maxing out my processor on server.

What does this mean? It's always just streamed it instantly!

Also i've noticed when i've chosen to play files from gizmo/ clients. it is making files in my c /program files/videos. I dont want duplicates. I Have over 21 tera of data. why would i want duplicate files? or want to wait for my files? 15 worked great. i called for file, it streamed it instantly.

Any Suggestions please, on how i can move forward with 16. or am i stuck w/ 15?

HTPC4ME

Then i closed media center 16 on client, and re-opemned it. and i'm getting the EXACT same dialog i was getting on my android phone couple weeks ago.. why is it checking other IP address? it shows mine, but then it shows 2 other weird ip addresses? Eventually it crashed again, then i restarted, tried t connect to server and a box popped up saying attempting conenction and it showed those ip address's again, and then said it could not connect.

HTPC4ME

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You can't mix versions for the client and server.  They must be the same version and build.

HTPC4ME

im using both 16 on server and client.
but I will NOT remove 15 completelly from server and clients until i know for sure, everything works. and my simple questions below are answered.

could you PLEASE answer these questions.
1. why does it say preparing file when it never did?
2. why am i getting attempting connection? and why is the IP address it is showing not one i recognize(Looks like it is an outside ip address)
3. why is jriver adding cache files to my C drive? it has never done this before.

if to much to type. maybe there is wiki? or a forum link? so i can read up on on this.
i have searched, and come up with nothing on questions above.

Thank you!

JimH

• Administrator

Maybe you previously had the option set that plays a local file if one exists.

One of the IP addresses it tries is your outside address.  See the wiki article titled "Network Access".

HTPC4ME

Thanks for tips...

jriver 16/server on server and clients. I went to options/media network/client options and i unticked play local file if one that matches Library server is found. then went to client/HTPC connected to main server. went to theaterview, went to recently imported, played a movie i know worked instantly on 15.  for about 2 seconds the length of the movie/progress bar says 1:30:58, then that IMMEDIATELLY disappears and the time changes to :10 seconds and i see the scroll/progress bar fly to the end and i get this dialog...  the server is preparing this file. Please try again in a few minutes. once this disappears (after the progress bar hits the 10 seconds) it just shows the cover art of the movie. and then it gives me the option to play/watch the movie again. if i chose play, it just repeats that process. no video files will play as of yet.

I have disabled/unticked play local file if one that matches Library server is found on both server and clients.
I closed jriver 15 on serv and clients via task manager. then i chose to disable auto startup, then i opened 16 chose to enable autostartup. then i rebooted server, and clients. And i retried playing a video file...   the server is preparing this file. Please try again in a few minutes. And server cpu's both maxed to 100%. and no video ever plays.

I have checked out - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access
This mentions port forwarding. which i have setup properly. has worked with jriver for yrs with no problems, inside my home network, and outside network. :)

It's been 35 minutes now since it has said preparing file from the last time. nothing happening on client/HTPC, and my server CPU's were maxed out the whole time.

One thing to note... i wrote yesterday about gizmo video issues. i think his issue may be tied together. pictures, audio play instantly and with great quality. it's just all videos do not they all say preparing files. and they all max out server cpu for extended periods of time.

Next idea please?

I will give ya guys this.. I'm loving 16.. i've yet to crash her. and i've tried! doing import of files. doing search with over mill files for pics. play a song, run gforce at same time.. on 15 & prior versions. i could get her to fall on her face.

NOTE: ive NOT ran these tests while trying to play vids from clients.

HTPC4ME

ran another test...

After choosing to play a video file on a client from the erver. when she maxes out my CPU's i chose to goto task manager. and end the JRiver service process. and see what happens. Nothing.. she still maxes out CPU's. but when i chose Media center 16 end task. then CPU's go back to normal.

Maybe this helps?

JimH

• Administrator

Are you sharing with Library Server or with the DLNA Server?

HTPC4ME

sorry, i'm not sure!?
taking a guess here...
so on my server went to tools/options/media network/ and opened up all options and screenshot them for you.
This screenshot is from the server PC

HTPC4ME

hope i'm not left hanging.

As soon as i get vid's working i would have no prob upgrading. but i'm sure you understand i cannot upgrade when my clients cant play vids.

Thank You.

JohnT

There is a problem in build 97 for converting videos over DLNA/Library Server.  Please try the next build.  Sorry for the hassle.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

Thank You John.
Will wait for next version and verify it works before upgrading completely.

could you explain to me... why last night when i was trying to connect to server it showed attempting to connect and kept going through ip addresses. do jriver clients have to call home (meaning call you guys) before making a connection even on our home networks?

Is there a way around this? not sure about what others here think about this.

But i always trust my home network over others. and i should be able to always have my stuff up and running and be able to stream from my server to other devices in my home, and on the road.

This question also goes for gizmo... When im on home network or outside my home network. there have been times it has said attempting to connect, and shown many ip's (and ip's i dont recognize)... my network is solid inside and outside. why does it drop? is it connecting to you guys first? or am i misunderstanding what these ip's are? (i've got static ip's and pay for a domain.) so when this happens i run tests on my personal servers, friends try logging in, i remote in.. everything works fine but jriver doesnt when these connection issues arise.
Thanks for any explanation.

JimH

• Administrator

HTPC4ME

well just ran to home depot 20 minute drive. using 16. and issue arose i spoke of above.. it was verifying access code,  connected, played a song, and 1/2 way through it said was on bus. hour went by. i tried reconnecting umm at least 30 times. and it just stayed on connecting/your on the bus. got home jriver 16 is still running playing songs for employees, and no errors. but gizmo won't connect from my droid.

See the wiki article titled "Network Access".

ive looked at that 4 times now.. could you elaborate a tad more please on what i'm missing?

There i nothing there that explains anything i'm asking.
And as i said everything works flawlessly with 15. no connection problems with vids, or with gizmo... and gizmo plays until i shut it off.

for arguments sake i also opened jriver 16, went to tools/options clicked on access key chose test connection and you guys are telling me... your server has been registered with JRiver. you can load this server on any client by selecting File > Library > Connect to library and entering the acces key below.  Please write your access key down. It has also been copied to the clipboard. Access key 123456

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I saw this thread for the first time now. I think it would be useful to try to solve one problem at a time. I personally would not know where to start if I was going to reply.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

xta - mate you have two issues and your need to solve them one at a time or you will go nuts!

1) Local Client --> Server:  If these PC are on the same network AND you media is mapped the same way from both PC's you should NOT be seeing the server doing any conversion if "play local file" is CHECKED.  This is how you had it setup in MC15.  Something has changed so check in order:
- "play local file" is CHECKED,
- on the Client PC --> in Std View --> have a look at the "Filename" field for the offending files, it will be something like "\\SERVER\Movies\Moviename.mpg" or "D:\Movies\Moviename.mpg".  Can you see this file in windows explorer?  If not then the mapping has gone (for some reason) and you will need to set it back up.

2) External Client --> Server:  This will use the MC Server to "serve" the file and pending on a bunch of things it may transcode it.  But...first things first and get #1 working again.
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

thank you. there is a answer. i been asking these questions for almost 2 months now... and ive yet to upgrade, because everytime i ask them. i either dont get a reply. i get a short answer reply that just doesnt fit, (even though ive said ive read things and tried those fixes) or issues never gets resolved.

to me these are 3 important questions

1. 15 use to work with gizmo flawlessly
2. jriver server clients would stream anything instantly (except dvd's(cause i dont have server yet (map setup.. Thanks alex jmone for info), and flash vid being off center. but at least i could enjoy my media)
3. does jriver 16 only work with jrivers SERVERS? why wont it work with my our jriver server/ my own network? it use to correct? or am i mistaken?

out of all versions of jriver i have never installed and uninstalled more then this one. ive tried 16 now 15-20 times since it came out.
I'm impressed with speed, stability, alot of the new features. But i need a player that works! i literally have spent days on each issue each time.

if it's just not stable yet. tell me. then i'll quit being stubborn and working/tweaking for hours on end. And above all you will see less of me here.

there simple questions. there not a bash against jriver. does something work or not? yes? no? what does this mean? this means....

im a pc tech on the side.. and im the first to READ, search google , look on wiki's... Well my answers were not on wiki provided. unless i'm missing something? which i also asked nicely about... what am i missing?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'm not sure if there is a quesion in your last post, but....You don't need a "server" as such just that all PC's can address the media files useing the same path at which point MC does not "Stream" anything, the local client just plays it from the disc it can see (including DVD rips).

So on the PC that your you are running MC Library Server (and I take it from which you import your media) will create the library with the location of each file stored in the "Filename" field (these files don't even have to be on the same HDD or HDD even in that PC).  When you load this library on a Client PC, no transcoding is required if "play local file" is checked AND the client can see the the target file as specified in the "Filename" field - it will just play it immediatly.
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

PC's can address the media files useing the same path at which point MC does not "Stream" anything, the local client just plays it from the disc it can see (including DVD rips).

not sure if you recall, but i cannot do this. i have 20 tera, i cannot map, you and i , alex said i need  seperate server so that dvd rips work. i have no more room left for mapping.

so ive always in jriver 15 on clients went to file/library/ open/ and chose connect to main library server. and it's worked fine until i can get the money up to get a deticated s server. thats why my subtitles, dont always work, NO dvd rips work, all flash videos are cut off, etc etc

so i installed 16, copied all settings IDENTICAL with 15.  and i have issues.

on 15 i have NEVER seen attempting to connect. on 16 i do.. how come?

and i know you've explained somethings. in lamens terms i dont understand.... it worked in 15, does work in 15. why not now?
someone else has posted there videos are not working in new version either.. does 16 have to call jrivers servers (not my jriver server) jrivers servers at jrivers headquarters. in order to connect to my jriver server? 

why does gizmo connect to jriver 15 server everytime. no glitches, no issues. but with 16 it always says verifying, and always says connecting, and why do connections get lost? is it not actually calling my jriver server in my house? my home network/outside network obvisoulsy works. ive mentioned this above.

I'm trying to understand mechanics of 16. and why its not working. and 15 does.

HTPC4ME

not to beat a dead horse.. another LENGTHY post by me... im not searching for it.. but you were involved in it as well, and Alex..

By using all clients, and setting up auto imports from servers drives and each client having its own library didnt work. because i was having dropping of files. like over 125,000 files of audio, images, video. were not showing up on clients! so we decided to always do connect to library (MAIN SERVER) by doing so all files i saw on MAIN server)  (the work machine, where files were imported) would also show on clients FOR SURE.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

xta - I remember your setup and what we discussed last year well.  I am at a loss to explain why it would be any different in MC16 over MC15 as it should not have changed either how each of the PC's on your NW sees the files OR how the Library is referencing them.  From what you are explaining Library Server is converting the files for "streaming" to your clients, instead of your clients just playing them directly.

Others are having a different issue where the new RedOctober feature is causing issues with directshow filters.  I don't think this is your issue.   
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator

not to beat a dead horse.. another LENGTHY post by me... im not searching for it.. but you were involved in it as well, and Alex..
It might help others if you would leave out the complaints and just state the problems one at a time.  Separate threads would be better.

If you are trying to convert video, turn it off for now to see if that matters.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I'd be willing to help, but this thread is too hard to follow, with many almost conflicting, not-very-well explained, or seemingly unrelated questions.

It would help (both you and I) if we had separate threads describing specific problems, in detail, without mixing in as many other possibly unrelated problems.  Sometimes this is tough to do, if you don't know what is related and what isn't.  But that should be the goal, even if you can't always quite get there.

Just to give you a little example... You were asking about the library server primarily.  However, you mentioned issues with Gizmo too.  I don't have an Android device currently and I've never used Gizmo, so when I read that, it makes me think I might not be competent to help with the overall problem.  Since I'm not paid to spend time here helping, it sometimes doesn't take much for me to close a thread and move on to something else where I might be able to make a more productive contribution.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Still unsolved...
is it possible?

Is WHAT possible?  I'm really not trying to be a pain or a jerk (you've always been a great forum member and very friendly), but I'm also not going to read through pages upon pages of threads to try to pull out a single question.  If you want a simple yes or no question answered, we should be able to come up with an answer, but ask the question in a single straightforward 1-2 sentence question.

So.... Is WHAT possible?  Just one thing at a time...

HTPC4ME

i am aware. not EVERYONE will have same problems as i do, and don't expect the usual repliers to always reply. But someone has to have same problems as i do. Statistically it just has to be so.
And if not. i would think these are legitimate concerns.

afterall, I'm not coming here and asking hi could you tell me how to play a song in jirver? where is the power button? where do i find my music?
Ive been along time user. i fix pc's on the side. i believe in the geek oath(my, and personal friends oath)... of researching yourself, asking google before wasting others valuable time. (Prove you have tried something, before whining or asking questions.)

These topics i start are genuine, and problems i have researched to exhaustion before posting.

So.... Is WHAT possible?  Just one thing at a time...

Glynor come on now please.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63944.msg427390#msg427390  (Reply # 9)
what i dont understand is if 15 has been working flawlessly, how can it just stops working on droid phone?
the keys are still the same on server 15 and droid.

is jriver server like a cloud thing? i noticed in another post you guys were having problems with your server today, why would that effect us users who are on home networks? once jriver server key is set and droid key is set? i dont understand how\why i would loose connection/ my home access key?

and if this is cloud based. then that means you guys would have full access to our libraries... someone please elaborate
this thread started out as a issue, and i have asked this exact question 5-6 times in other posts since, i have asked this question in this thread we are on and still no answer!

again... in jriver 15, NEVER EVER did it say attempting to connect, NEVER EVER did it say accessing key on android or clients up until the day i posted issue. « on: May 05, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »

in order for us jriver users to use jriver server,dlna etc.. does jriver 15 - 16 NOW call jrivers servers at head quarters?
if so, how come? 
Does anyone else see a problem with this?
if 15 always connected at home network or outside network before above post (can anyone with new version of 16 .81 confirm library server works?)
( and ive not changed any settings on any machines any routers) why am i being told to read the wiki's? It's been known for yrs. check your ports, check windows firewall, make sure access key is registered. (I've not touched this stuff) (I was told to check all those things again, and i did as i was told, and nothing was wrong! Then hours later i get a email topic notification, saying jrivers servers were down, they were having problems.

why are people saying jriver had issues that day? what does that have to do with me being at home with my family and wanting to watch a movie like we always have. why do my clients have to attempt to connect? they should just connect this is my network! Correct?

that post i started, that post never got answered, i got swept under the rug, after tweaking/troubleshooting for 6hours that day. I got frustrated, i gave up. and life went on. I have since then installed newer versions of 16 to see if issue was fixed, and asked about it again. To me this was/is a legitimate post.

to sum this up, Had i gotten an answer if jriver calls home to jriver servers (there headquarters) then that would have saved/does save me time. that should tell me DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF YOUR SETTINGS. it's not you chris. it's them! by doing so. i dont mess up what is setup correctly! But until i get answer then me beingme.. i will troubleshoot till i'm blue in the face. and as jmone mentions make myself nuts.

AND NOW my new issue... i installed 16 had issues as spoke about above (vids not being able to be played on clients) i turned off 16 last night because friends were over and knew they would want to listen to music VIDEOS,  so i opened jriver 15. ALL thumbnails EMPTY  (this has happened before) so i do some quick thinking. ok lets try jriver 16. it's auto imported all files all thumbs work, music works (just videos won't play on clients) at least i will have some music, and we could watch music videos on server from 16. THOSE THUMBNAILS were empty as well!

SO i re-open JRiver 15. and think maybe i can get away with AT LEAST being able to play music while guests are here, i'll just choose a genre and let it play.. NOPE lockups because no thumbnails were built. so i turn on the trusty satellite dish, and play a music channel. and i begin a auto import. I wake up this morning and it says jriver 15 auto import complete. i open jriver chose a audio playlist to listen to for todays work. and all my files are X'd out. i go to my computer in windows 7. all drives in tact. i go inside folders in drives, all files in tact. i then open jriver 15 again and chose auto import. now it is Adding files to library...it's at 20456.  i've had one runtime error so far. And from experince. i KNOW i will be down for about 3 days again. because it has to rebuild over a Million files. and i will have on average 10-20 runtime errors from jriver until she completes in her entirity.

I'm tired of being told i'm complaining. I'm not complaining. but cut me some slack. i'm not coming here asking questions for the first time. these are ongoing issues.  search forum for my posts about thumbnails/lost libraries/having to rebuild. this has happened to me many times through the versions. yeah.. not all people are music/video geek collectors like myself.
 and most likelly dont have the size libraries that i do.. But i tell you what. HDD's are getting cheaper (AND LARGER 3 TERA on one drive), record/movie labels are moving to HDD based/streaming... peoples libraries will grow. And if it takes me 2-3 days to rebuild my libraries i can assume others will have same time frame/problems as well. If not. then someone enlighten me what might be my problem on why i lost thumbs again and my library, and why my whole house is down again with no media being able to be played!

I THINK i know what may have happened in this case.. By having jriver 15 installed. then installing 16 and running an auto import, and being 16 took 15's settings., i'm assuming when i auto imported with 16 it wiped out all thumbnails in reg location for 15, but then once i relaized 16 wouldnt play videos, and i had imported new files that were not on 15, i did a auto import on 16, and that wiped out all 15 thumbnails. then when i was in 15 and chose auto import that wiped out 16's thumbnails. leaving me with no thumbnails.) this is just a guess. but i'm not for sure.

I'm late for my business meeting.
And yes i ranted again. i just want you to see what i'm going through here.

As it sits. i have people coming over tonight. jriver 15 is adding all files again. i hope the thumbnail auto import from last night sticks, and being i wont be home for hours, i hope she don't runtime error on me again. Adding file 39194 - 960,000 some files to go.
I do have remote desktop on droid. so i will login periodically, to see if there is any new runtime errors, if so re-open 15 and re-autoimport and let it pick up where she left off.

i love jriver.
i love the idea.
i love the support when i get it
but i want to just enjoy it!

Other questions i have i'll get to later. 16 for me has to be put on back burner. I need A working version of jriver i use it for showing clients our Goathead printing stuff ( i cannot afford to keep rebuilding/troubleshooting). and i will be needing it again on Monday.

i do hope my jriver cloud question gets answered, so i can UNDERSTAND what is going on, and what these connecting to accessing mean, and why it just doesnt work!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

xtacbyme,

You'll get better replies by limiting the editorial, story, etc.  Just the problem or question.  People are busy, have lives, and don't have time to read over 1400 words.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Glynor come on now please.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63944.msg427390#msg427390  (Reply # 9)this thread started out as a issue, and i have asked this exact question 5-6 times in other posts since, i have asked this question in this thread we are on and still no answer!

The post you linked to right there has NO question in it.  It says (and I quote):

forget it.wasted 6 hours again with 16 today on testing . you dont have decency to help me. im going back to 15. Done deal.
Wig, kensn, bryan  ty for tests!

So, no question there... If I read down further, you addressed me directly, and asked:

glynor, how do you connect the library server, using an access key or using an IP address ?

Which doesn't seem very relevant to what you're asking here, but I'll answer it... An IP address (I guess), though I've used the access key too in the past.  I really use neither.  My MC Library Server has a fully qualified domain name, which is what I use, but that's basically the same thing as an IP once DNS has its way with it.

To be totally honest, I did NOT read the rest of your most recent post.  That's the problem.  I'm sure MOST people here won't read that.  If you really want a simple "yes this should work" or "no this won't work" answer, you need to ask it in 1-2 sentences.  I have crap to do, and really don't want to spend the time reading a 1 1/2 page rant about unrelated things.

I understand totally that you are frustrated, and that you've probably asked before, but I don't have a clear memory about previous threads and I don't feel like reading through a bunch of them now....

Without linking to additional threads, and in one or two simple sentences, can you ask your question?

glynor

• MC Beta Team

For what it's worth....   I just tested video when connected to a remote Library Server (the server is at home, and I'm at work on a completely different network).  I was able to play back pretty much any file I tried, though HD MKVs were stuttery and not really watchable.

My older SD XviD AVIs worked fine and started up pretty quickly.

I don't have much in the way of conversion set up for video on the Library Server.  I don't typically use video remotely, though I might actually try if I can get my HD MKVs to work!  I can post my detailed settings this weekend if you want to take a look.

The Library Client is configured to connect directly to my server via its fully qualified domain name (IP).  Since I have a good DynDNS setup that I pay for, I don't need to use the key method anymore, and I don't know what my key is right now to even try it (but, at the time that post was made, that system WAS broken, but it was fixed a bit later).

JimH

• Administrator

I'm going to close this thread for the weekend or until we've worked our way through the DirectShow problems.

x, just ask next week if you want it re-opened.   Have a nice weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up