INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 DLNA Server Locking up WDTV  (Read 2755 times)

rgalosi

MC16 DLNA Server Locking up WDTV
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:24:26 pm »

I'm most of the way through my MC16 trial and I desperately want to buy but there is an issue I can't get past:

When playing video content from the WDTV's attached drive with MC16's DLNA server enabled, I have about 30 seconds before the WDTV becomes unresponsive to all remote commands -current video keeps playing. If I play part of a video, stop and exit to the file selection screen it will lock up there. The only way to revive the unit is to unplug power and reboot. If I disable the DLNA server, there is no problem playing files from the attached drive or network shares. Everything works as it should. As soon as I re-enable DLNA, lockup.

To try to pinpoint the problem, I connected the WDTV and server through a switch isolated from the rest of the network. No change.

This issue does not occur and everything work perfectly when I enable and use other DLNA servers -Mezzmo being one. This leads me to believe that the DLNA server in MC16 is doing something differently and causing me grief.

I am willing to try just about anything to get this to work as the MC16 feature set and performance is exactly what I am looking for.

Any and all help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

-Rob

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC16 DLNA Server Locking up WDTV
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:53:36 pm »

I'm most of the way through my MC16 trial and I desperately want to buy but there is an issue I can't get past:

When playing video content from the WDTV's attached drive with MC16's DLNA server enabled, I have about 30 seconds before the WDTV becomes unresponsive to all remote commands -current video keeps playing. If I play part of a video, stop and exit to the file selection screen it will lock up there. The only way to revive the unit is to unplug power and reboot. If I disable the DLNA server, there is no problem playing files from the attached drive or network shares. Everything works as it should. As soon as I re-enable DLNA, lockup.

To try to pinpoint the problem, I connected the WDTV and server through a switch isolated from the rest of the network. No change.

This issue does not occur and everything work perfectly when I enable and use other DLNA servers -Mezzmo being one. This leads me to believe that the DLNA server in MC16 is doing something differently and causing me grief.

I am willing to try just about anything to get this to work as the MC16 feature set and performance is exactly what I am looking for.

Any and all help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

-Rob

Playing video? Try turning off conversion in Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers

csimon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:32:49 am »

Have you got the latest version of MC16 and the latest WDTV firmware?  I've been using MC with a WDTV since last October but have not come across this sort of issue before (although I don't have a drive attached to the WDTV), but I do know that the beta versions of MC16 had problems with the WDTV which have now been fixed.

rgalosi

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:12:19 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I made sure that conversion was off -It was. I also tried turning off the the other DLNA services (Renderer, controller, etc.) under "advanced". Still no luck.

The WD is flashed with WDLXTV firmware and is up to date. I know this is an issue with the WDTV itself but I'm baffled as to why other DLNA servers don't trigger this condition.

It seems that streaming to the device is OK except that immediately upon exit (stop play) from a movie, it will lock up. Reboot with the drive disconnected and you can stream movies to it all day long. Reconnect the drive, and disable MC16 DLNA server and watch content from the drive no problem. Try to run MC16 server and a connected drive, you've got trouble.

I will try changing the DLNA server port tonight to see if that does anything. Reflashing WDTV firmware is still an option as well...

-Rob

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:11:14 pm »

I just picked up a WD TV and am also having issues with MC16 causing it to reboot all the time. I have only briefly played with it but it seemed to only happen when playing/browsing videos. I disabled the video preview on the WD TV and didn't get any more reboots. Will report back if this holds. Don't get any reboots when browsing/playing network shares.

I also can't play to the WD TV from MC16 or Gizmo. Anyone able to do this?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:51:54 pm »

Disabling the preview is a good thing to do since that will trigger transcoding on every file that needs transcoding (according to your options settings) whenever a preview starts.

The push to WDTV seems broken since it works on 15 but not 16. We are looking into it...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:48:11 pm »

The push problem will be fixed in builds >=16.0.119

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:33 am »

Looking forward to trying it out  8)

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 06:36:47 pm »

The push problem will be fixed in builds >=16.0.119

Works perfect so far. Music, video and pictures all working fine which is good because I bought the WD TV just for use with MC16.

Also pleasantly surprised to discover that the WD TV is bitperfect for audio at 44.1kHz. DTS waves playback properly. Anything higher that 44.1khz gets downsampled to 48kHz.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:51:21 am »

Thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]   Go Up