INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attempted moving files to a new drive - and failed!  (Read 5243 times)

Niacin

Attempted moving files to a new drive - and failed!
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:25:23 pm »

I followed the instructions in this thread and it does not work as expected.....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63986.0;topicseen

I moved the files externally, creating a replica of the c:\ drive on my new d:\ drive. I then used find and replace to change from c:\ to d:\. What id did was move the files to the new location, thus creating two copies of every file in the new d:\ destination. What a ruddy mess! If the files had remained on c:\ I'd at least had the option of moving them again. I had to go through each album and delete the duplicates.

After a restore I decided to try the moving files from within Media Jukebox instead. This didn't work as expected either. It moved the files alright - from c;\ to d:\ but didn't amend any file details. So, within MJ every single track was assigned to the c:\ path and every single track had been moved to d:\. Every single file was therefore unusable.

I have now replaced all files back to c:\ and done a restore of the Library. I have lost all confidence in this software. It handles the music side beautifully but as a management tool it leaves a lot to desire - and the Wiki is very poorly written as well! That's not just a frustrated dig - in my former life as an IT manager I wrote three complete user guides to in-house applications. They were written from an end user perspective and the Wiki is anything but that.

I'm hoping that someone will prove me wrong in my theory that MJ gets poor support whilst MC gets priority treatment. I'm not holding my breath.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Attempted moving files to a new drive - and failed!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:49:03 pm »

I'm betting you did not disable auto-import, as per Alex's comment in reply #4.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Niacin

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:01:52 pm »

I'm betting you did not disable auto-import, as per Alex's comment in reply #4.
Not the first time, no. But I did before trying to move the files within the app

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:05:45 am »

.. I moved the files externally, creating a replica of the c:\ drive on my new d:\ drive. I then used find and replace to change from c:\ to d:\. What id did was move the files to the new location, thus creating two copies of every file in the new d:\ destination. What a ruddy mess! If the files had remained on c:\ I'd at least had the option of moving them again. I had to go through each album and delete the duplicates.

Hmm... you did not move the files outside MJ. If the files are copied outside MJ/MC you must select the "Update" mode in the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool settings:

Click to enlarge.

After a restore I decided to try the moving files from within Media Jukebox instead. This didn't work as expected either. It moved the files alright - from c;\ to d:\ but didn't amend any file details. So, within MJ every single track was assigned to the c:\ path and every single track had been moved to d:\. Every single file was therefore unusable.

This could have been caused by the selected RM&CF tool mode (assuming Auto-Import was really disabled). Which mode did you use?

I have now replaced all files back to c:\ and done a restore of the Library. I have lost all confidence in this software. It handles the music side beautifully but as a management tool it leaves a lot to desire...

In general, it would be safer to try massive file operations like this first with a few test files (and ask help here if it does not work as expected.)

- and the Wiki is very poorly written as well! That's not just a frustrated dig - in my former life as an IT manager I wrote three complete user guides to in-house applications. They were written from an end user perspective and the Wiki is anything but that.

Perhaps you could help by improving the Wiki.  :)

More info is available in the following links (the above mentioned link leads to the following reply):

In addition to what Jim said:

If the old files are not anymore in the library, load your latest library backup file and fix the video files' base path with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool (I'll search for the instructions I once posted and add a link soon.) If you have not created library backup files manually you can find automatically created files from:
C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 14\Library Backups (XP)
or
C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 14\Library Backups (Vista and Windows 7).

Disable the the "fix broken links" setting in Auto-Import options (do this before loading the backup file and immediately after loading it check that the setting stayed disabled).

EDIT

The instructions (a quick search found six threads):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55224.msg375699#msg375699
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55547.msg377589#msg377589
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52086.msg356211#msg356211
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51635.msg352515#msg352515
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49835.msg341255#msg341255
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46894.msg321403#msg321403

EDIT2 (one more link)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55707.msg384102#msg384102

I'm hoping that someone will prove me wrong in my theory that MJ gets poor support whilst MC gets priority treatment...

That is not surprising. MJ14 is a (probably) finished non-commercial project. I guess the majority of advanced users use MC. Fortunately the complete RM&CF tool is included in MJ14 and it has not changed in MC, so, for example, my instructions should be fine.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Niacin

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:56:31 am »

Hmm... you did not move the files outside MJ. If the files are copied outside MJ/MC you must select the "Update" mode in the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool settings:

Alex , thanks for replying

So, if the files are all duplicated on the secondary drive, all that is needed is the "Update" option as shown in your screenshot?

That is not surprising. MJ14 is a (probably) finished non-commercial project. I guess the majority of advanced users use MC. Fortunately the complete RM&CF tool is included in MJ14 and it has not changed in MC, so, for example, my instructions should be fine.
The level of support should be determined by the number of users using a particular version and not by what the developers think they ought to be using

MrC

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:43:20 am »

The level of support should be determined by the number of users using a particular version and not by what the developers think they ought to be using

Maybe its best to reset your expectations.  MJ is free, and comes with the same support you paid.

You write up some areas of confusions and help clarify the Wiki instructions, and I'll commit to integrating them into the Wiki.  This way, its win/win.

Niacin

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:50:26 am »

Maybe its best to reset your expectations.  MJ is free, and comes with the same support you paid.

And the quality of the free version and associated support is what should be used as an enticement to potential users and purchasers of MC - or do you disagree?

MrC

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:14:31 am »

And the quality of the free version and associated support is what should be used as an enticement to potential users and purchasers of MC - or do you disagree?

Its a slippery slope.  Let's take your case.  You've been here since mid-Jan 2011.  You've asked a lot of questions, and received lots of help.  (And you've helped others.).  Have you been underwhelmed with support such that you haven't paid for the full version?  I don't think anyone agrees with endless support, where each user gets to define the terms.  Collectively, that would be disastrous.  See: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63786.0

Niacin

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:33:19 am »

Have you been underwhelmed with support such that you haven't paid for the full version?  I don't think anyone agrees with endless support, where each user gets to define the terms.  
The whole point in free software and lets be under no illusions here, is to entice people to buy fuller, more comprehensive versions or to sell and promote other products by the same software designers.

The reason I have not bought the full version is for a very good reason. And we are digressing here - away from the original question but you put the question so... I do not need or desire the full MC. It offers me nothing over MJ. I would be stupid, or have more money that sense, to buy an application I do not currently need. I simply want something to play and organise music. and MJ does exactly that. I have no desire to watch films, TV nor can I see a time in the next couple of years where I will. It is my belief, however, that the future of all media lies within the digital domain only and user held hard copies of most entertainment medium will be consigned to history. That's the future but we are not there yet!

Yes I have assisted others, or tried to, because that's whet people do when they use and learn applications and wish to share the experience. The act of assistance or support should be an ethos and not a means to an end.

Yes, it is a noble thing to support the software and under certain circumstances I would do just that. Sadly, other needs command the use of my income, such as that is.. Several enforced redundancies (for both myself and the missus) and the setting up of a new, far from lucrative business (a labour of love) means that purchasing software comes very low down the list of priorities - after food for example.

Niacin

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 11:42:38 am »

Alex , thanks for replying

So, if the files are all duplicated on the secondary drive, all that is needed is the "Update" option as shown in your screenshot?

I'll just re-iterate as this thread has shot off at a tangent - is this all I need to do?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:03:47 pm »

In the "update" mode the tool applies the changes only to the "Filename" database field, i.e. it relinks the database files. The physical disk files are not touched. Just confirm that the filename preview in the tooltip matches the new file location.  (As said before, it is important to disable the background auto-importer before proceeding and also configure it to match the changed file locations before starting it again.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up