INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD/Blu Ray Audio and Video  (Read 1744 times)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
DVD/Blu Ray Audio and Video
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:29:37 am »

Hi,
Couple of things i've noticed using J River 16.
I would love more output volume when playing back blu ray, or dvd when downmixed to 2ch audio output.. I find the JRSS volume output far too low. would like to see the channel gains increased and maybe add a limiter to reduce clipping?

Also, some dvds, when the picture goes to black, ie.credits rolling, or not much movement on screen, the audio drops in and out. is like when the bit rate of video drops, the Audio drops out.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DVD/Blu Ray Audio and Video
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:34:05 am »

A few things to try:

1) Make sure you have the latest build installed from the top of this board
2) Make sure you have channel mixing set to JRSS in DSP Studio > Output Format
3) Enable audio normalization in Options > Video
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:58 pm »

A few things to try:

1) Make sure you have the latest build installed from the top of this board
2) Make sure you have channel mixing set to JRSS in DSP Studio > Output Format
3) Enable audio normalization in Options > Video

Thanks,
Yes i have all that is suggested above. I usually don't use normalize volume as it's an added process to the audio chain. If JRSS is decreasing the gain from all channels, then is normalize volume adding another process to increase the gain?

I find that Directshow mixer is much better at channel gain control and much cleaner sounding.
Front 2 channels at 100% and the rest of the channels at 70% gain for the mixdown.

Also would love to see an option for 5.1 to 2channel mixdown, that isn't a surround option, that just sends back and side channels untouched to the front.

Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:18:19 pm »

Also would love to see an option for 5.1 to 2channel mixdown, that isn't a surround option, that just sends back and side channels untouched to the front.
You mentioned this in the other thread, too. This is what is currently done if you select two channels and JRSS. The other channels are all mixed to the L and R with the appropriate gain adjustments. I'm not sure what you mean by "isn't a surround option."

I think a two channel option that only mixes the center and LFE to the front L and R would be nice. It would provide higher volume levels and the front soundstage would still match what you would hear with 5.1 or 7.1. I don't think it makes much sense to mix the surrounds into the L and R when you are using a two channel system. Having less content will also prevent the important front soundstage from being masked by content that was originally intended for the surrounds.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:08:09 pm »

You mentioned this in the other thread, too. This is what is currently done if you select two channels and JRSS. The other channels are all mixed to the L and R with the appropriate gain adjustments. I'm not sure what you mean by "isn't a surround option."

I think a two channel option that only mixes the center and LFE to the front L and R would be nice. It would provide higher volume levels and the front soundstage would still match what you would hear with 5.1 or 7.1. I don't think it makes much sense to mix the surrounds into the L and R when you are using a two channel system. Having less content will also prevent the important front soundstage from being masked by content that was originally intended for the surrounds.

Hi,
My thinking is that the JRSS which means (J river surround sound)? the rear and side channels are apparently processed to have a 'surround feel' when mixed to the front? am i wrong?

yes i agree, an option for rear and side channels not mixed to the front if that means extra gain for front and centre and LFE.

Wish studios had made separate 2 channel tracks as standard for blu ray and dvd, i know some dvd's do and use that if available.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:19:06 pm »

Hi,
My thinking is that the JRSS which means (J river surround sound)? the rear and side channels are apparently processed to have a 'surround feel' when mixed to the front? am i wrong?

JRSS downmixing doesn't do anything to try to make 2 speakers sound like more speakers.  It tries to accurately reflect the soundstage and energy that would be presented in a properly calibrated 5.1 / 7.1 system while using two speakers.

The idea of making headphones "sound like surround sound" seems like a good idea, but I don't think it works.  I spent some time with Dolby Headphone a while back and thought it was terrible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up