INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Collection Ripping/Encoding Tools & Settings  (Read 2484 times)

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
DVD Collection Ripping/Encoding Tools & Settings
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:36:01 am »

Hi,

I have just purchased a DLNA enabled PVR so I'm keen to get my DVD collection on my server but I'm having trouble finding the right ripper/encoder app to use for the task and what formats/settings I should start with. 

I tried MakeMKV which was very quick to encode but the produced file was not supported by my PVR although it could play on my PC.  I have other MKV files which play fine so I know the PVR is capable if in the correct format.  I also tried XviD4PSP 5.0 which was so slow (4fps / 5 hours for 3GB) and I gave up.  6.0 beta looks faster (8fps / 2.5 hours) but that still doesn't sound too flash to me.

This is my first time encoding a DVD to H.264 so how fast would an average DVD usually take and what tools/settings would you recommend?

Cheers,
Nicholas

LGV40, Samsung Tab S7+ & Sony WH1000XM4 = some peace in the chaos.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: DVD Collection Ripping/Encoding Tools & Settings
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:32:58 am »

I'm not sure that you need to transcode your DVD's to any other format as your PVR should be able to play the MPEG2/DD (or MPEG Audio) stream just fine.  Try just ripping the DVD into MC and then using your DLNA PVR to connect to MC and play it back.  You may want to setup a DLNA profile for your PVR in Tools--> Options --> Media Networks --> Add or Configure DLNA Servers.

For what it is worth (and I have very few DVD's) I used DVD Decrypter to rip them to a single VOB file (that I then manually renamed to MPG but that was for other reasons way back when).
JRiver CEO Elect

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:24:59 am »

MakeMKV is fast because does not re-encode the content. The file/files you have created have the original MPEG2 video in the MKV container. Perhaps your device does not support that format.

You could try Handbrake for creating H.264/MKV files. Though, if Xvid encoding is slow on your machine, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC encoding would probably be even slower.

You can also first rip the video with MakeMKV and then compress with Handbrake (Handbrake doesn't do any decrypting.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:21:26 am »

I'm not sure that you need to transcode your DVD's to any other format as your PVR should be able to play the MPEG2/DD (or MPEG Audio) stream just fine.  Try just ripping the DVD into MC and then using your DLNA PVR to connect to MC and play it back.  You may want to setup a DLNA profile for your PVR in Tools--> Options --> Media Networks --> Add or Configure DLNA Servers.

For what it is worth (and I have very few DVD's) I used DVD Decrypter to rip them to a single VOB file (that I then manually renamed to MPG but that was for other reasons way back when).

Hi jmone,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried this and it works perfectly and a hell of a lot faster!  I figure HDD space is so cheap nowadays I might as well keep the quality the same as the original DVD anyway.  Now, it would be nice if my PVR would scan (<< >>), skip (|< >|) and recognize bookmarks from MJ16's DLNA stream.  Is that possible or am I destined to watch each movie from the start in one session?!

Also, I have been using Media Center since MJ8 and I have to say I just love it.  The DLNA feature (which is new to me) is fantastic.  I can get rid of all those DVD's that the kids constantly throw around the lounge and scratch to pieces!  Another bonus I wasn't expecting is I can easily get all my home movies and pics to the TV as well.  What a fab combination MC and my TV/PVR now make!

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:23:41 am »

MakeMKV is fast because does not re-encode the content. The file/files you have created have the original MPEG2 video in the MKV container. Perhaps your device does not support that format.

You could try Handbrake for creating H.264/MKV files. Though, if Xvid encoding is slow on your machine, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC encoding would probably be even slower.

You can also first rip the video with MakeMKV and then compress with Handbrake (Handbrake doesn't do any decrypting.)

Thanks for your suggestion too Alex.  I am trying Handbrake out for compressing my home DV AVI's which are flamin huge!!! Like 13 GB per 60 minutes.  Now to decide what bitrate/resolution to encode those suckers to.  Any suggestions on that one?

Thanks,
Nicholas

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:04 am »

I went through the pain of trying to workout what to transcode all my DV-AVI to and in the end I went high bit rate MPEG2....but then tossed them all out and when back to the original DV-AVI as they really only watched on the HTPC or other PC's (so no need for cross device compatibility - and if I need that for a one off then MC will transcode it for DLNA devices).  Disc is cheap and big these days - Keep them all native and save yourself the grief of trying to transcode them all to something else.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:01:51 am »

Now, it would be nice if my PVR would scan (<< >>), skip (|< >|) and recognize bookmarks from MJ16's DLNA stream.  Is that possible or am I destined to watch each movie from the start in one session?!

Just checked on the PS3 using DLNA to play a DVD and << >> (multiple speeds), Pause/Play, Stop and |< work, but there is no "chapter support" so >| did nothing.  All of this may be dependant on the actual DLNA device however.  Others may be able to chip in on what they have found.
JRiver CEO Elect

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:46 am »

I went through the pain of trying to workout what to transcode all my DV-AVI to and in the end I went high bit rate MPEG2....but then tossed them all out and when back to the original DV-AVI as they really only watched on the HTPC or other PC's (so no need for cross device compatibility - and if I need that for a one off then MC will transcode it for DLNA devices).  Disc is cheap and big these days - Keep them all native and save yourself the grief of trying to transcode them all to something else.

Hmm, you've convinced me on that one as well.  13GB x 40 DV tapes = 520GB.  At a cost of $60 per TB for a WD Green HDD I can double my DV collection and only be up the $60 with no effort.  Done.

Out of curiosity, did you toss the MPEG2 video's because you were unhappy with the quality?

I'm interested in HTPC's.  I have thought about putting one together myself but wonder if it would be worth it.  What do you like about them and what do you use it for?

Cheers,
Nicholas

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19:08 pm »

A bit of reading tells me that the .IFO files hold the chapter information.  However, I'm using DVD Decrypter to rip the .VOB's to a single .VOB file and ignoring the .IFO and .BUP files.   I guess this is why chapter's don't work when using the DLNA server to my PVR?  Unfortunately, when I rip all the files to a folder including .IFO's my PVR won't read it.  I'll have more of a play around with the search functions as well.  I can scan through .MKV files but not a .VOB which is seriously frustrating.  This might require a new topic?

Cheers,
Nicholas
Pages: [1]   Go Up