INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums with same name appear as separate albums  (Read 25091 times)

rmilewsk

• Recent member
Albums with same name appear as separate albums
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

I've just downloaded and installed JRiver 16 and had it scan my flac library of about 6K songs. Just about all of the songs were imported correctly. I have a couple of albums that j river is showing in the library view as multiple albums even though in my other squeeze center software they show as one album. These albums all have tracks with different artists but the same album name. How can I have j river show all of these tracks as part of the same album?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Albums with same name appear as separate albums
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:27:08 pm »

This typically will happen if any of the Album name or Album Artist are not identical.  Select all the affected tracks, and look in the action window for these fields.  They will say Varies when they are not identical.  Make them identical, and they will appear under one album name.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rmilewsk

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:33:07 am »

This typically will happen if any of the Album name or Album Artist are not identical.  Select all the affected tracks, and look in the action window for these fields.  They will say Varies when they are not identical.  Make them identical, and they will appear under one album name.

In every instance the albums names are identical. I have double and triple checked. I don't want the album artist names to be identical. My naming scheme sometimes uses different album artist names in the same album. I should be able to link all tracks from an album together by using the same album name only. That's what other library management software has done that I have used. How do I get j river to do that?

rmilewsk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:16 am »

Unfortunately it looks like J River forces me to use its field naming scheme of updating album artist field to have the same value. I don't use album artist field like that. This is a real shame as now I won't be able to use J River. Thanks for all the help everyone.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:54:10 am »

::) ::) ::)

MrC

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:45:43 am »

Unfortunately it looks like J River forces me to use its field naming scheme of updating album artist field to have the same value. I don't use album artist field like that. This is a real shame as now I won't be able to use J River. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Album Artist is the 1 name to use for an album, Artist can be used for track artists.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:41:25 am »

In addition it is possible to configure the views to group and sort items by a different criteria. For instance, just by album or by album and the directory path.

However, the default system is pretty good. I think have seen only one instance where the "Album Artist (auto)" and "Album" fields had intentional and correct duplicate values in two different albums (i.e. the default logic displayed these two albums as a single album).

It is not unusual to have duplicate album names ("Best Of" and similar being the most common examples). The "Album Artist (auto) / Album" system was introduced to correct this and the issues with "various artists" albums many years before most other programs even supported the Album Artist concept at all (in MC9/2002-2003 I think).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

csimon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 05:54:04 am »

I've just downloaded and installed JRiver 16 and had it scan my flac library of about 6K songs. Just about all of the songs were imported correctly. I have a couple of albums that j river is showing in the library view as multiple albums even though in my other squeeze center software they show as one album. These albums all have tracks with different artists but the same album name. How can I have j river show all of these tracks as part of the same album?
I think by default MC uses Album Artist in differentiating albums that have the same name, which is the correct way of doing it and a lot of other software doesn't support it. If, however, you have used Album Artist in a non-standard way then the default won't work for you.  So you can simply customise the view from the default to the way in which you want to differentiate albums with the same name.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:59:53 am »

In every instance the albums names are identical. I have double and triple checked. I don't want the album artist names to be identical. My naming scheme sometimes uses different album artist names in the same album. I should be able to link all tracks from an album together by using the same album name only. That's what other library management software has done that I have used. How do I get j river to do that?

I use a similar scheme except that I have all the [Album Artist] tags the same for an album and where there is more than one Artist on the album this is shown in the [Artist] field.

Normally I believe MC uses [Album Artist] = Various (or Multiple, or Various Artists) to combine these multiple artist albums, sorting on: [Album Artist] - [Album]

Since you have the [Album Artist] field as the individual artists MC is confused.

You may need to either change MC's sorting to: [Artist] - [Album] -or- use the "Move/Copy" tool to swap your [Album Artist] field with your [Artist] field in your tags.
. . . the game is rigged

dherrett

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:55:01 am »

i have the same thing with my albums but the problem i have is when cd1 and cd2 are in the same album it list's the tracks like this

track 1 cd1
track 1 cd2
track 2 cd1
track 2 cd2
track 3 cd1
track 3 cd2

and so on plus when i have it in 3d mode having 40+ tracks in one list makes it so hard to read the track names so i need to find out how to seperate cd1 and cd2 into 2 dif albums new to using mj14 so no idea what to do as i have some 3cd albums that load as 3 seperate albums and some that have got 40+ tracks on one album

MrC

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »

... makes it so hard to read ...

This is called irony.

... new to using mj14 ...

Probably you should post in the Media Jukebox forum then.  Someone will respond there.

csimon

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 12:38:23 pm »

Very quick reply - you might be able to make use of the Disc # tag, then at least the 40 tracks will be sorted in disk number order first.

But if you want the two discs to appear as different albums then you can do one of two things:

1. Give them different albums names e.g. "This Album Disc 1", "This Album Disc 2". they will then appear as two independent albums

2. If you want to see them as one "boxed set" and then drill down to see two albums in it, you will need to set up another tag for this purpose and then alter your views to add this as another category. You might be able to use the Disc # tag if you only want to refer to them by a number, or if you want to name them (e.g. "Original Album", "Remastered Album", "Bonus Tracks" etc) then you'll need a new tag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up