INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist Playing Now thought  (Read 1134 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Playlist Playing Now thought
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »

Couple things I've been thinking would be nice to be able to do. Wondering if others might agree?

1) What I would like to be able to do is have a playlist remember its last played track. So that each time I load that playlist it starts from the point it left off.

2) The option to have certain things like shuffle be playlist specific.

3) Also store custom dsp settings for that playlist as well. for example I may have a playlist of a certain genre that I sometimes prefer a slightly different eq setting.

4) Ability to add an actual playlist to playing now, not just the tracks within that playlist. This is kind of related to point 1 above, as playing now would have to be able to distinguish if it's playing a track from a playlist or just a randomly added track to playing now. This would also open up other playing options such as being able to add multiple playlists to paying now then setting it to play one list after the other but have the playing of the individual tracks in the playlist shuffled, then when that list has played all tracks it moves on to the next list.

5) Ability to add a playlist to a playlist.

For points 4 and 5 above I'd envision the lists kind of displayed in a nested tree fashion. So when looking at say playing now you'd see the actual playlist name with the tracks shown below that or similar to the way you can set an audio view to group by album and it displays the tracks with the album cover for that group.

Just some things I've been thinking about. What do others think?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlist Playing Now thought
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:02:45 pm »

I'm a HUGE fan of the way Playing Now works currently, so I'd resist any changes to this system.  The basic idea of Playing Now is that it is THE LIST that is "Playing Now", shown in the order it will play.

This simple idea allows some pretty amazing flexibility.  You might not use some of it, but I sure do!  For example, if I have "Shuffle Mode" enabled, and I play some files, I can then quickly go to Playing Now and re-order them (or, what I often do, browse around my library and add specific tracks as "Next To Play", and then let the rest play shuffled).

None of your ideas really conflict with this idea except for maybe #4.  But, to be clear, the one thing I think CANNOT change (or should not) is that Playing Now should ALWAYS be a list of files, listed in the order that they will actually play.

Okay... That said.  Onto this:

5) Ability to add a playlist to a playlist.

You can organize them already.  Simply add a Playlist Group, which acts like a folder for Playlists.  What do you want that can't be accomplished by this?

2) The option to have certain things like shuffle be playlist specific.

If you want a particular playlist to always be shuffled, you'd be better off using a Smartlist instead (which you can have always shuffled).  The easiest way to do this, and still be able to pick-and-choose particular tracks is to build a Smartlist based on Keywords.

So, you make a Smartlist with these rules:

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Keywords]=[shufflematic] ~sort=Random
That will show ALL Audio files with the "shufflematic" keyword (which is also what I named the Smartlist), in a randomized order.  You could add a track limit too if you want it to only show 100 random tracks with the keyword.  If you REALLY want to not use Keywords but you want pre-randomized versions of existing Playlists, you can also link a Smartlist (or a View) to a static Playlist.  Simply add a "Playlist" is any rule and choose your static Playlist, then add a Shuffle modification.

The whole idea in MC of Playlists is that they are manually-built ORDERED lists.  If you don't want them ordered, then you are almost certainly better off building a Smartlist or a custom view.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up