INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October HQ issues  (Read 2860 times)

fucheeno

• Recent member
Red October HQ issues
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:28:04 pm »

Hello all.  This is my first post so be gentle.

I have given up on all other media centers at this point.  JRiver has to work for me.  I have done both XBMC (love it really but the PQ is not up to snuff) and WMC with MPC-HC (just doesn't feel right tbh) and they just aren't cutting it.  I think jriver will really appeal to me because it can handle my lossless music with ease apparently and can also let me get the best PQ available for HD, etc.

I just purchased a GTX 460 video card which is supposed to be just awesome for doing madvr and lav cuvid.  I will admit that I have no idea how to configure the options to get the max out of it yet.

I have configured jriver build 110 to use "Red October HQ with additional filters" with default video renderer madvr. For "Source Filter" I have "LAV Splitter Source". For "Other Filters" I have selected "LAV Audio Decoder; LAV CUVID Decoder" and madVR again under "Video Renderer".  To me this all seems right based on my tinkering with MPC-HC.

Now the bad part -- playing a video.  Whenever I open a video, in this case a whopping glorious encode of Avatar weighing in at 36 gigs, it just does something for a split second and then closes and goes back to the jriver interface. If I remove all my own filters and just let Red October do the work I do get madvr and lav audio but I don't get bitstream and I don't have lav cuvid goodness.

Bottom line: I am just a bit confused and overwhelmed. I will gladly plop down $50 for jriver in a heartbeat if I can get this all sorted out. In the meantime I have done a lot of reading on various forums, primarily here and over at avsforums but I am just stuck atm. Sorry for being longwinded and thanks to anyone in the community who can help.

Signed,

Potential Customer for Life!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Red October HQ issues
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:33:59 pm »

We'll get you sorted.  I don't have time to help right now, but I'm sure Nathan et all will be along shortly.

One very quick little tip... Regarding Bitstreaming, do you have this enabled in Options -> Video -> Audio for Video?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fucheeno

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:15:13 pm »

We'll get you sorted.  I don't have time to help right now, but I'm sure Nathan et all will be along shortly.

One very quick little tip... Regarding Bitstreaming, do you have this enabled in Options -> Video -> Audio for Video?

Thanks for the response glynor!  If I enable that option I just get a bunch of nasty static but the video will play, because it's sending it as PCM or something?!?!  When disabled and I use LAV Audio I get the issue I described before. Switches to video for 1/2 second and then bails to the jrmc interface.

I look forward to more help. Thanks again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:23:23 pm »

If I remove all my own filters and just let Red October do the work I do get madvr and lav audio but I don't get bitstream and I don't have lav cuvid goodness.

You might just start with 'Red October HQ' this since you said it works.

You can toggle bitstreaming in Options > Video > Bitstreaming (make sure you have 16.0.110 installed from the top of this board).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fucheeno

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

You might just start with 'Red October HQ' this since you said it works.

You can toggle bitstreaming in Options > Video > Bitstreaming (make sure you have 16.0.110 installed from the top of this board).

Thanks. Enabling bitstreaming results in noisy static. With it disabled and just using Red October HQ it works but that is not what I want. It doesn't choose madvr as the renderer and I can't use LAV CUVID which is why I just spent a small fortune on this 460GTX card. And I don't get the HD audio either. I previously had an ATI card that did bitstreaming, but all this talk of nvidia greatness compelled me to open the wallet some more. I am still trying to figure out why this doesn't work. It works just fine in MPC-HC but that integration with WMC leaves much to be desired, don't you think?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

Are you using build 110?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:21:06 pm »

Sounds like something is trying to decode the audio, rather than just pass it through, and is failing.

To be clear, though, if you want to bitstream, you DO want to enable Bitstreaming in Options -> Video -> Audio for Video.  No ands ifs or buts.  The static issue is something else, probably something misconfigured in the Audio Decoder you've selected.  If you are just bitstreaming straight through, there is no reason to use anything other than the Red October HQ default because it works fine.  Just leave that out of your self-configured filters, if you're adding anything manually.  Does Bitstreaming work right if you just turn on Red October HQ by itself (without additional filters)?  If so, then something you are adding is breaking it.  If not, then we'll probably need more info about your setup.

Red October HQ doesn't choose madVR just as a temporary thing.  There was a problem with madVR that madshi needed to fix (and did) and so they stopped using it for just a few builds.  madvr should return as the Red October HQ default in the next public build.  So, I'd probably just wait on that for the next build of MC to fix it on its own, and let it use EVR for right now.

So, the main thing you need is to get LAV CUVID working.  This shouldn't be too tough, as I know a bunch of people here use this filter who have Nvidia cards.  What happens if you configure Red October HQ, and then JUST add LAV CUVID to the Other Filters section for a particular file type?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »

So, the main thing you need is to get LAV CUVID working.  This shouldn't be too tough, as I know a bunch of people here use this filter who have Nvidia cards.  What happens if you configure Red October HQ, and then JUST add LAV CUVID to the Other Filters section for a particular file type?

One nice added feature you could add for Red October would be to have a checkbox somewhere in Options -> Video, which defaults off, and that is labeled something to the effect of: "Use hardware acceleration via LAV CUVID (Nvidia GPUs only)?" When it is enabled, you load Red October with LAV CUVID substituted where appropriate, and turn on hardware acceleration support (I don't even know what you need to do, because I don't have any appropriate Nvidia cards in-use right now on a machine where I'd be using this).

This is something that a LOT of people would like to use, but to keep basically everything else about Red October (either standard or HQ) intact.  Enabling just this one thing as a user currently would require separately configuring all of the various file types that you might want to use it for, one at a time.  Right?

fucheeno

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »

That's a good idea for sure. I also think it's cool how you quoted yourself. ;)

I completely removed LAVSplitter from the equation, selected YES for bitstreaming HDMI, RO HQ, LAV CUVID and MadVR.  The picture is gorgeous but the audio is still hosed.  Nothing but static. I honestly don't know why it's not working.  And yes, I am using the latest 110 build. Stumped...?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »

I completely removed LAVSplitter from the equation, selected YES for bitstreaming HDMI, RO HQ, LAV CUVID and MadVR.  The picture is gorgeous but the audio is still hosed.  Nothing but static. I honestly don't know why it's not working.  And yes, I am using the latest 110 build. Stumped...?

First, are you sure you want to bitstream?  You'll get more control and probably better audio quality if you don't bitstream.

But if you do want to bitstream, remember that a bitstream sounds like noise without a decoder.  So I think you're hearing a bitstream that nothing is decoding.  Do you have an external decoder?

A good test is to first get audio working.  Play an audio file.  Then get it working with the best audio output mode:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Then, configure DSP Studio > Output Format to output 5.1 as Dolby Digital so you can test bitstreaming of Dolby Digital.  You probably only want this setting temporarily, but it's a useful test.

Once audio works and can bitstream Dolby Digital, move on to video.

shAf

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:37:33 pm »

If you are trying to bitstream via HDMI, what are choosing as your output audio device?  What audio devices show?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

fucheeno

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 01:49:16 am »

If you are trying to bitstream via HDMI, what are choosing as your output audio device?  What audio devices show?

Bingo. Once I changed it to the actual device instead of "same as audio" it started working just fine. Thanks for all the help guys.  Now I need to figure out how to manage metadata. That seems easier with other programs imho.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 08:11:19 am »

Bingo. Once I changed it to the actual device instead of "same as audio" it started working just fine.

If you would like to help, you might help us figure out why you had to do that.

Did you get audio working, including bitstreaming, like I described above?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 05:06:03 pm »

Coming in 112 and later:
Fixed: Bitstreaming of DTS-HD and TrueHD formats over HDMI was not working properly.

Sorry for any trouble.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »

I can confirm this is fixed.  I hadn't even noticed that TrueHD wasn't working (it was before), but it is working again now here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up