INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help using Mc16 on multiple computers  (Read 1899 times)

zugisland16

• Recent member
Help using Mc16 on multiple computers
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:42:36 pm »

Just bought JR but am having issues using synching up between several computers in my home..i read the htread on using Lib server synch..but had several issues..1) do you supply the code to the native computer or to the one you are remotely trying to synch with. I did some editing of album art where none could be found ..and couldnt get em synched on my network. Then did somehow see multiple libraries listed and tried to start one from scrtach which worked for album art  but then many album folders now have dual listings of 1 song..and other albums which are compliations now show up as one album under each artists own album..HELP...ive spent all sunday afternoon and am ready to unuinstall and reinastall as an option

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Help using Mc16 on multiple computers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:41:54 am »

It sounds like you've got a handful of different problems. I'll offer what advice I can. Generally it's easiest to get good help here by isolating a single problem you're having and making a single post for that. 

do you supply the code to the native computer or to the one you are remotely trying to synch with.
I'm not certain what you mean by native computer, but generally the terminology used here is "server" and "client".
The server is where all of your media files and database are stored. The client is any separate device (PC, laptop, smartphone, DLNA device) that you use to access the media files from remotely.
You need to generate an access key (code) on the server. Tools > Options > Media Network will get you to the options for the Access Key and the check box to turn on the Library Server.
On the client you then need to go to File > Library Manager > Add Library > Library Server --> Enter the generated access key in the text field.
If this does not work for you, the first place to investigate is usually your firewall.

I did some editing of album art where none could be found ..and couldnt get em synched on my network.
I believe that this should just work if you are accessing the Server database from a Client machine. Make sure you've got your network setup correct and this should fix itself. If not, then come back to this problem.

other albums which are compliations now show up as one album under each artists own album
There are two fields likely at play here: [Album Artist] and [Artist]. Check to see which you are using.
If [Album Artist] has the same value as [Artist] for your soundtracks/compilations, you should change it to "Multiple Artists" or something along those lines.

ive spent all sunday afternoon and am ready to unuinstall and reinastall as an option
It's doubtful this will help at all. The unfortunate part of Media Center is that it takes a little while to understand. The fortunate part is that this is a somewhat necessary side effect of the power that Media Center offers. It can take somewhat of a digital media paradigm shift to get rolling. Figure out one piece at a time and you'll slowly grow to love and rely on the program.

-Jon

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:06:52 am »

First, you should tell us some more about your setup. How many clients. Are they on all the time, are you using a server, where are your media stored, what media do you have etc. This will give us a better starting point for some good advice.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

zugisland16

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:56:19 am »

OK thanks for the input . 1st off I have 2 pc,s running windows7 ...my server is a gateway pc and my client is a dell zino in my living room. I have taken the steps you outline above and am stuck at the following I get a window pop up from the client when i try and put in the library code asking for " Credentials " for an ip adress from the client ..which consists of name and password..i have tried the name and passoword of my router ( network ) and the name and password fo the server to no avail ( i also have changed to the best of my limited ablity all the setting on both computers for network accses and sharing )
ALSO CAN ANYONE GIVE ME CHECKLIST OF THE SETTINGS IN WINDOWS 7 TO MAKE THIS WORK..THANKS

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:07:48 am »

On the MC Server side, go to Tools/Options/Media Network/Authentication.  Enter a username and password of your choosing.

On the client, use the same username and password.

zugisland16

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:51:01 am »

ok thanks that did it ! But then i had stability issues with MC16 crashing on both computers..When i rebooted the server did not have the the license installed and i had to reinstall that along with clearing the library and importing everything over again ...Also when I use the server on the client  will the audio settings will be the same as the server or can i change that only on the client..as the client is in my living room attached to my high end audio sys.
thanks

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:58:06 pm »

Your server should contain the media library. Most settings are independent on each clients. So, yes. You should be able to set different settings on your clients. If there is something wrong woth the library on the server, you should try a restore of the backup. Backups is made once a day normally.

What you should be careful about is your server. Choose backup location to a drive. You could alternate the backup locations so you always have a copy in case of a HDD crash. Clients get most info synced from the server. Like tags, media, views and so on. If you want to change things like views, you should do this on the server. Or else you might end up with default views after the next client boot or MC shutdown.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »

Generally it's easiest to get good help here by isolating a single problem you're having and making a single post for that.

QFT.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up