INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie with ASIO drivers having problems recording & with microphone  (Read 2095 times)

Kernowkevin

Hi

I'm a newbie to the J River Media Centre - its an excellent piece of software but I am having an issue with being unable to record from the J River Media Centre nor am I now able to use my microphone on Skype

Here's the spec of the PC which is probably not relevant but just in case:

Dell Studio XPS running Windows 7 Professional with Windows Core i7 processor & 6Gb of Ram

The sound card is an Creative X-Fi Titanium which has been by-passed by plugging a Cambridge Audio DACMagic DAC into the USB port. This is linked to Cambridge Audio amp, Wharfedale Diamonds & a BK Electronics sub-woofer

I have successfully installed the ASIO4All drivers into the JRiver Media Center

I am delighted with the quality of the sound when I listen to streamed music - for the record the Cambridge Audio DAC is a superb piece of kit with rave reviews everywhere & blows away the Creative X Fi sound card (not cheap !) in terms of sound quality.

The ASIO4All drivers also make a significant difference & must be one of the best free upgrades for improving the quality of sound from your PC - and it’s a doddle to install within the J River Media Center.

The ASIO Drivers do seem to have caused two significant problems & I really do not want to uninstall them. (both were working before I installed the ASIO drivers)

Firstly, my microphone no longer works in Skype and I cannot record sound using the recording facility within the J River Media Centre (Tools>Advanced tools>Record Sound). I'm trying to record using the MP3 encoder and I have a music file after recording  but it is `silent'

The title in the Recorder window says it is using the Creative X-Fi Digital In

I've tried much b*ggering around with the settings within ASIO4All but I have failed to resolve the problem - it's probably easy but I'm thick so any guidance would be much appreciated

Many thanks in anticipation

Kevin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie with ASIO drivers having problems recording & with microphone
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:02:39 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

Installing ASIO shouldn't affect the microphone.

You may only be able to record from the Mic in on the X-Fi.

Recorder has a test mode that will show you whether you're receiving any volume.

Kernowkevin

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:38:03 pm »

Hi Jim H

Thank you for your reply

Maybe I could have worded my question more clearly......

I cannot hear the microphone - I'm not trying to record it

What I'm trying to record is streamed music

Apologies for my lack of precision

With regards

Kevin

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:23:49 pm »

I'm not sure about the microphone and Skype.  That doesn't sound like a Media Center issue.

However, we don't recommend ASIO4All.  You can read more here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up