INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tried JRSS Simulated 5.1 Again  (Read 1981 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tried JRSS Simulated 5.1 Again
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:45:29 pm »

Thought some good news might be nice on the forum for a change.

About a year ago I tried JRSS (In audio setup) so that we could have center channel functionality from a stereo source. Our Klipschorns are on the long wall and we need some output at all times to our center speaker. We weren't too pleased a year ago with the sound quality so gave up on the idea. Yesterday I tried it again and am very happy with the results. We get a good center fill and the fidelity seems quite improved over what it was using MC15. I plan to leave JRSS running now.

Have there been SQ improvements made to JRSS? I don't think I'm just imagining the change.

Now to try Red October. Hope I can also report good news from it!

Rod

justsomeguy

Re: Tried JRSS Simulated 5.1 Again
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:53 am »

I have mine set to 5.1 but use clone mode instead of JRSS. For some reason JRSS (at least in 5.1 haven't tried other speaker configs) heavily favors the back left channel over the back right for me.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:03:40 am »

Have there been SQ improvements made to JRSS? I don't think I'm just imagining the change.

One change in v16 is that JRSS does a better job of working with Room Correction and Bass Redirection (if you enable these features in DSP Studio) to create a clean subwoofer output when playing 2.0 source material (i.e. an audio CD).

I tried it again and am very happy with the results. We get a good center fill and the fidelity seems quite improved over what it was using MC15. I plan to leave JRSS running now.

Thanks for letting us know.

I use JRSS for all music listening in my home theater.  While 2.0 can sound amazing (I love headphones), I don't see any reason to let nice speakers and plenty of clean power go to waste.  It sounds terrific to my ears to listen to 2.0 content upmixed with JRSS.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:06:34 am »

I have mine set to 5.1 but use clone mode instead of JRSS. For some reason JRSS (at least in 5.1 haven't tried other speaker configs) heavily favors the back left channel over the back right for me.

I don't think that's a JRSS problem.  There's either a hardware, wiring, or Room Correction configuration problem.

You can use the level testing features of Room Correction (with a decibel meter if you have one) to properly calibrate Media Center.

More information here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

justsomeguy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:35:50 am »

I'm very familiar with calibrating speaker levels. If I run it in clone mode the back left and right speakers match and have no discernible difference in level, even if playing back a perfectly matched test tone and verified by MC's built in dsp analyzer. Also using the test tone on the external receiver I'm using, the speakers are all balanced. The problem only ever shows up when I enable JRSS.

I may not have described what I'm hearing that well though. For the most part, most of the sounds coming out of the rear seem fairly balanced but at certain points part of the singers voice is being routed to the back but is heavily favored to the back left.  It's obvious and sounds un-natural.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »

I'm very familiar with calibrating speaker levels. If I run it in clone mode the back left and right speakers match and have no discernible difference in level, even if playing back a perfectly matched test tone and verified by MC's built in dsp analyzer. Also using the test tone on the external receiver I'm using, the speakers are all balanced. The problem only ever shows up when I enable JRSS.

I may not have described what I'm hearing that well though. For the most part, most of the sounds coming out of the rear seem fairly balanced but at certain points part of the singers voice is being routed to the back but is heavily favored to the back left.  It's obvious and sounds un-natural.

In a coming build:
Fixed: In certain passages, JRSS surround channels could be biased towards the left.

Thanks.

justsomeguy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »

Cool thanks...
Pages: [1]   Go Up