INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Drives  (Read 1287 times)

retropost20

• nothing more to say...
Multiple Drives
« on: March 24, 2003, 10:02:41 am »

I have 2, 52X Lite-On Burners.  I would like to rip from them simultaneously.  When I add them both to the burn window, MJ burns them 1 after the other, not at the same time.  If I try and burn them individually at the same time, I receive the "burn window already open" message.  Can someone please tell me if it really IS possible to rip from 2 separate burners while converting to MP3 on the fly? (I am mostly interested in putting music onto my hard drive - not putting music onto CD's)

Thanks a lot -- Shane

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Multiple Drives
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 02:10:58 pm »

I would say not. You can only have 1 instance of MJ open at any one time (this is mostly true for the any process spawned from MJ as well). You can have 2 (or more) instances of Exact Audio Copy open concurrently, which may be useful on a rip/encode. Even if you could, I wouldn't burn more than 1 disk at a time. Unless you've got high end burners (Yamaha/Plextor) w/ big buffers and on separate busses, and a fast CPU.

10-27

retropost20

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 10:58:48 am »

The burners will be connected via Firewire or USB 2.0 from external enclosures.  The system is fast enough to handle whatever (AMD Barton 2500 and 333 FSB MoBo and 1 GB 2700 DDR)  When MJ claims to be able to rip from multiple drives, do they mean one after another rather than simultaneously?  Thanks - Shane

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 11:18:52 am »

I'll bet they're cued rather than simultaneous operation. This does allow you to stay one disk ahead (so changing disks wouldn't be quite as frenetic since you've got your second disk "in the buffer").

10-27

retropost20

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 01:51:12 pm »

Are you saying that you can choose to have them rip simultaneously rather than cued?  You mentioned a "mode" or "setting."  Can this be changed?  I would like to know if you can put a cd into each drive, rip simultaneously, and have both drives finish at roughly the same time (give or take for length of CD) --or if they always have to be cued so the second rip starts when the first one is finished?  If this isn't possible, then am I correct to assume that the only advantage to having 2 drives is that you have more time between rips before you have to put new cd's in?  Thanks for all the help!

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 02:32:01 pm »

> When MJ claims to be able to rip from multiple drives

Was this actually claimed by JRiver? If it doesn't now then it never will (unless your talking future tense like MJ9 and that ability is still doubtful). I'm on MC9 now so I can't test.

> Are you saying that you can choose to have them rip simultaneously rather than cued...Can this be changed

No...and there is no choice with MJ...I'm (almost) positive only one drive can be ripping at one time...hence they are cued.

> I would like to know if you can put a cd into each drive, rip simultaneously

With Exact Audio Copy...yes (because you can run more than 1 instance of it...no so with MJ).

> then am I correct to assume that the only advantage to having 2 drives is that you have more time between rips before you have to put new cd's in

With MJ...exactly

10-27

Alpha_03

• Recent member
  • now where did i leave that.....
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 02:32:04 am »

could he not add a small partition to his hard drive and run MJ installed on said new partition and do it that way? just a question.

xen-uno

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 01:28:33 pm »

Path is irrelavent. MJ will only allow one set of registry entries per user and (more importantly) the current instance of MJ prevents other MJ's from running concurrently.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up