INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: play main server through client, use gizmo as remote  (Read 1945 times)

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
play main server through client, use gizmo as remote
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:42:45 pm »

This may be a newbie question(or just a confusing one).

I am running media center on my main (windows 7)computer upstairs in my home. I have a "mac mini" running vm ware fusion in my living room downstairs which is running windows xp with media center running on it. I have my mac mini connected to my stereo. I load my media libary from my upstairs computer on the (mac) running in my living room. This has worked great(flawlessly).

However, I have just purchased an android phone and have "gizmo" loaded on it. I have no problem connecting to my media center server on my windows 7 machine (using gizmo), but cannot seem to get to the version of media server running on my virtual machine(mac mini).

I would love to be able to control media center (running on my mac mini) using gizmo since it is connected to my stereo. But since I can't seem to get that to work is there a way to have my media center on the mac mini output the files being played on my windows 7 box? That way I could control the playback using "gizmo".

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate the help. Also since I know this post is a bit confusing, if you need clarification in order to help me resolve this issue please ask and I'd be happy to try and clarify. Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: play main server through client, use gizmo as remote
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:15:43 am »

If you connect to the Win7 machine, you should be able to play to MC on the Mac machine as a DLNA Renderer.  Try this first from Win7, then later try with Gizmo.

Our wiki article on "DLNA" explains the terms.

kfrank

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:44:06 am »

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you could point me to the specific steps on setting up my instance of MC that is running on my virtual xp box(on the mac mini) asa renderer. I believe I already have the MC instance on my main windows 7 box running as a DLNA sever. If I go to tools-> options-> Media Network -> "Add or configure DLNA server" the exists a GENERIC DLNA device. Also under tools-> options-> Media Network -> Advanced I have DLNA Server and DLNA Controller checked. Doe this sound correct? And If I am understanding you correctly should I now see the DLNA device(from my windows 7 box) on my MC instance on the mac? Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:29 am »

On the box where you want to play, you must have DLNA Renderer checked, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up