INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to MC-16 - A few Questions - Issues  (Read 1846 times)

bsw11

• Recent member
New to MC-16 - A few Questions - Issues
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:39:59 pm »

So I am check out your product.  It is nice to see so much effort going into this, but for me to use it, I need some questions answered.

First off, I am an expert user - high end - both Audio and Video.  I currently use FB2K running it via Kernel Streaming via HDMI ASUS XONAR for 2 channel and ASIO for multi channel.   I have terrabytes of both. 

1 - I don't want MC-16 to just go off and try to discover files - can I control this?

2 - Can I import my history (especially last play and play count) from FB2k?

3- While your import is running, my desktop is in repaint HELL - can this be fixed?

4- Do you have Kernel Streaming?

5 - Can I run multiple instances of MC-16 - One for Audio, and 2 for my dual monitors for video?

6 - If so, can the instances be set to use different audio system (main, desktop etc)?

Thanks!

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hi
Re: New to MC-16 - A few Questions - Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »

1 - I don't want MC-16 to just go off and try to discover files - can I control this?

Yes, turn off Auto Import.  Tools/Options/Library & Folders and uncheck "Run auto-import in background"

2 - Can I import my history (especially last play and play count) from FB2k?

I don't know.

3- While your import is running, my desktop is in repaint HELL - can this be fixed?

I have never experienced this.

4- Do you have Kernel Streaming?

Yes, Tools/Options/Audio then choose Kernal Streaming under Output mode

5 - Can I run multiple instances of MC-16 - One for Audio, and 2 for my dual monitors for video?

Yes, Tools/Options/General scroll to the bottom and expand "Advanced" and check "Allow multiple instances to run at one time"

6 - If so, can the instances be set to use different audio system (main, desktop etc)?

I am not sure about this, but you could use zones to achieve this.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:08:02 pm »

While you CAN, running multiple instances is probably not the best way to solve your last two issues.  The best way would be to set up separate Zones, and use Detached Displays (right click on the video/Playing Now window and choose Detach Display).

You can have as many separate, independent Detached Displays as you have Zones (infinite, performance limited).  I've run MC with 8 separate zones all running detached displays fullscreen on separate monitors (some running video, some running slideshows).

This would give you ONE UI that you can use to control all of these different displays and zones.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:10:23 pm »

Also, I'm no expert, but Kernel Streaming is basically a hack.  If you are using nice hardware (sounds like it) and Vista or Win7, you might have much better results with ASIO or WASAPI, both of which can provide low-latency bit perfect output.

Someone else can comment in detail.

MC does offer Kernel Streaming as an option.  I know that Kernel Streaming in general (not just MC's implementation of it) can be flaky and a pain to set up reliably.  It might just work fine for your hardware, of course, but it might be better to check out more modern alternatives.

bsw11

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »

Thanks for the info.. getting close.

I really would need a way to import my FB2K data- there is a way to export this data to an XML file, so any help would be appreciated.

Also one more - I use VST plugins in my Audio Stream - does MC-16 have this ability?

bsw11

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »

As for Kernel Streaming - for some reason, WASAPI and ASIO don't send out the correct bitstream with my sound card.  I will give both a try though - I do understand that and have had my share of BSOD using it if I am not careful.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »

Media Center offers native VST support.  It uses 64-bit processing when possible.  It's possible to run any number of VSTs and in any order.

Look in DSP Studio > Manage Plug-ins... to add VST plugins.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »

As for Kernel Streaming - for some reason, WASAPI and ASIO don't send out the correct bitstream with my sound card.  I will give both a try though - I do understand that and have had my share of BSOD using it if I am not careful.

That's fine, and Kernel Streaming might be the best option for your hardware (like I said, I'm no expert).  As long as you know what you're getting yourself into!  ;)

bsw11

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:20:17 pm »

OK - Turns out WASAPI worked just fine for 2 channel.   So here is where the rubber meets the road as they say.

My biggest issue with FB2K and my system in general is that multi-channel tracks (of which I have 2 basic format see below) just do not play correctly with the same output settings.  To fix this in FB2K I built a special script to detect 2 vs 5 or 6 ch and then automatically switch between WASAPI and ASIO (for multi) and this works.  Here is the details:

My sound card is the ASUS PCI Slim.   My system is an I7-950.  My receiver is a Pioneer SC-27.

2 channel tracks - mp3 and Flac

Muliti-channel tracks - All flac - BUT 2 different types:

Native FLAC files of various types 24/48   24/96   16/48 etc

and - DTS Wrapped FLAC files  (DTS CD wav files converted via Switch Sound Converter

So far, only the native multi-channel play at all but are missing the center channel using the direct mode (SPDIF)

The DTS wrapped are playing the old static routine.

When I try the ASIO output mode, I get an error telling me ASIO can not handle the format.

Also I notice that the VST plugin (OZONE 4) does not shut down in multi-channel mode which is causing massive sound sync problems.

So any help I can get to make this seamless and work would be greatly appreciated.

bsw11

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:22:53 pm »

The DTS Static is caused by the VST not still being in the chain.  So if there is a fix for that then one item is almost solved - as it is still missing the center channel.

bsw11

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:41:43 pm »

So strange enough - I tired to play some DVDs and DVD-A from the video side and they played PERFECTLY!   So there is something different in how the same exact tracks are played on the audio side as multi-channel flacs.   If that can be figured out we are close.
Pages: [1]   Go Up