INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: PGS Blu-Ray subtitle parser/renderer for madVR  (Read 2773 times)

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

With madVR supporting subtitles I would like to know if you guys are working on an interface to actually use this great feature? As nevcairiel points out "subtitles should be drawn by the renderer onto the finished image". I agree completely. Right now I am using ffdshow video decoder to draw subtitles at the decoder step.

In order to use the madVR subtitle feature one has to use MPC HC (which is certainly not an option coming from MC16 ;-). It would be fantastic to make this happen with MC as well and use the madVR subtitle interface. Especially for PGS Blu-Ray subtitles.

Thank you!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Feature Request: PGS Blu-Ray subtitle interface to madVR
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:39:56 am »

+1 :  Subtitle handling on HTPC is poor and an area that always causes issues especially with newbies.  Anything JR can do to add it's own Subtitle Renderer would be great but it may also be an area that you do not wish to go.  At present I use FFDSHOW RAW filter to add subtitles rendering to the decoded stream (from LAV CUVID) prior to madVR's rendering....
JRiver CEO Elect

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 03:16:35 am »

+1 :  Subtitle handling on HTPC is poor and an area that always causes issues especially with newbies.  Anything JR can do to add it's own Subtitle Renderer would be great but it may also be an area that you do not wish to go.  At present I use FFDSHOW RAW filter to add subtitles rendering to the decoded stream (from LAV CUVID) prior to madVR's rendering....

Not a JR "renderer" but an interface to madVR just like MPC HC provides it is needed in my opinion. madVR renders the subtitles onto the final image - in perfect quality. So it is "just" a matter of getting the subtitle stream (eg. PGS) from the LAVSplitter directly to madVR - which draws it onto the decoder output. This naturally needs to be combined with a delay setting - like the global delay system I suggested for MC.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 03:52:54 am »

I would be very happy to be wrong, but I thought MPC HC had its own sub renderer....if it was as easy as passing the pin out from the splitter to madVR :)

Quote from: madshi;1486521
AFAIK both ffdshow and DirectVobSub render the subs *before* the video is scaled. The only way to do it differently is to communicate directly with the renderer via a special interface. I don't think either ffdshow or DirectVobSub are doing that. MPC-HC's internal subtitle rendering engine does that, so does seemingly PotPlayer. I guess with ZoomPlayer and JRiver Media Center you're stuck with ffdshow and DirectVobSub because they don't seem to have an internal subtitle rendering engine.
JRiver CEO Elect

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:22:01 am »

I would be very happy to be wrong, but I thought MPC HC had its own sub renderer....if it was as easy as passing the pin out from the splitter to madVR :)

We are both almost right ;-) Here is what nevcairiel has to say about it:

"There is two approaches to subtitles.
Either, you have a dedicated subtitle parser/renderer, which renders the subs onto a plain surface, and the video renderer just takes that surface and then blends it over the final video image. This is how its basically done in MPC-HC when using the internal renderer, in combination with EVR-CP, madVR and some other compatible renderers. But sadly, the MPC-HC implementation is not really portable, and you cannot make it a stand-alone."

The second approach would be that the video renderer takes care of subtitles completely, this however would mean it only works with that specific renderer."

So we need a JRiver subtitle parser/renderer as described! Pretty please ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up