INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to access a music store on DLNA NAS from MC16?  (Read 1616 times)

netarc

• Recent member
How to access a music store on DLNA NAS from MC16?
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:33:42 am »

Just downloaded MC16.0.121 to eval - I was hoping to use it strictly as a player (is audio renderer the right terminology?) to access mp3/flac/etc which are stored on my ReadyNAS NV+.

I enabled both UPNP and DLNA on the NAS ... but upon starting MC16, nothing appears under the "playing now" section - from reading these threads, MC16 should autodetect DLNA-compliant stores on the network upon starting?

I searched thru the forums and accessed various library options in MC, but I'm at a loss re: how to get MC to access the DLNA-hosted media library?

Thanks for any assist.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to access a music store on DLNA NAS from MC16?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:21:17 am »

Not too familiar with dlna but in MC did you enable
tools->options->media network->advanced->dlna renderer

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:07:39 am »

Just downloaded MC16.0.121 to eval - I was hoping to use it strictly as a player (is audio renderer the right terminology?) to access mp3/flac/etc which are stored on my ReadyNAS NV+.

I enabled both UPNP and DLNA on the NAS ... but upon starting MC16, nothing appears under the "playing now" section - from reading these threads, MC16 should autodetect DLNA-compliant stores on the network upon starting?

I searched thru the forums and accessed various library options in MC, but I'm at a loss re: how to get MC to access the DLNA-hosted media library?

Thanks for any assist.
Our wiki has an article on DLNA.  It would be a good place to start.

I would enable DLNA OR UPnP on your NAS, but not both.

netarc

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:13:32 am »

Yes, I found and reviewed the DLNA wiki; however, it seemed focused on the various methods one could use MC via DLNA as the server (streaming to other devices) or control MC ... I found little, if anything, re: how MC could function as a client (audio renderer?) to a DLNA host/server?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:30:43 am »

The NAS should just automagically appear under playing now -> playing from.
The items at the top of Playing now are renderers.
The Items under Playing from are servers.

If you don't see it under playing from, look under Options->Media Network->Advanced and make sure DLNA controller and DLNA renderer are checked.

If it still doesn't work, make sure that the DLNA device and MC are on the same network segment. Normally DLNA discovery broadcasts can't cross network segments.

netarc

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »

Not too familiar with dlna but in MC did you enable
tools->options->media network->advanced->dlna renderer
Yes, I do have DLNA Renderer enabled; initially I just enabled this one, but when the ReadyNAS DLNA server didn't show up, I tried enabling all three options (server/renderer/controller) - still no love  :'(

netarc

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:50:01 pm »

Our wiki has an article on DLNA.  It would be a good place to start.

I would enable DLNA OR UPnP on your NAS, but not both.
I disabled UPnP on the ReadyNAs, leaving only DLNA, SqueezeCenter and Bonjour enabled.

BTW, fwiw I'm using MC on a Win7 x86 system.

netarc

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »

Update: disabled Squeezecenter on the ReadyNAS to remove one more variable.

So according to the DLNA Wiki, selecting MC's "File/Library" menu should display the DLNA Servers which MC has found in the menu, as in this example?

ruh-roh ... well what do you know, it just appeared! It appears that disabling the SQUEEZECENTER service on the ReadyNAS did the trick! Once i did so and restarted MC, nas:ReadyNAS appeared under both "playing now" and in under File/Library!

netarc

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:59:16 pm »

thanks for the info, all - went back to tools/medianetwork/advanced and disabled DLNA Server and Controller - restarted MC, and the DLNA NAS was gone. Re-enabled Controller, restarted MC, and it appeared again.

So, it appears that for MC to function as a renderer, accessing music from another DLNA Server, both DLNA Renderer and DLNA Controller need to be enalbed in MC. Too, for ReadyNAS users, apparently SqueezeCenter and the DLNA streaming service can not co-exist, at least for MC as a client.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »

thanks for the info, all - went back to tools/medianetwork/advanced and disabled DLNA Server and Controller - restarted MC, and the DLNA NAS was gone. Re-enabled Controller, restarted MC, and it appeared again.

So, it appears that for MC to function as a renderer, accessing music from another DLNA Server, both DLNA Renderer and DLNA Controller need to be enalbed in MC. Too, for ReadyNAS users, apparently SqueezeCenter and the DLNA streaming service can not co-exist, at least for MC as a client.
The controller has to be enabled for you to use MC as the renderer from MC. If you were using a 3rd device as a controller (like Plugplayer or similar) you wouldn't need the controller enabled on MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up