INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: Drop-down boxes for easy tagging  (Read 2348 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Suggestion: Drop-down boxes for easy tagging
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:45:28 am »

I do a lot of tagging on various custom fields while I'm listening to music, mostly with List data type fields. A feature that would make this easier and a lot more fun would be drop-down boxes on fields. Instead of right-clicking or doing the hover -> F2 I could just click the drop-down and choose my option from the list.

Drop-down boxes could be a new Edit option in the Data section of the library, so you could enable only on those fields you choose.

Thanks again for listening!

wig

• MC Beta Team
Re: Suggestion: Drop-down boxes for easy tagging
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:25:27 am »

Here's a quick mock-up of what I'm talking about, to illustrate the point.

Notice the carrots in the Faves column. Clicking on one would activate the Rename function for that tag.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:55:51 am »

i like the tick box option your showing... takes me so long to tag my keywords sometimes.. because a good song comes on and the whole family wants it tagged for them, or for the roadtrip mix, party mix etc.. that alot of clicking on keywords, scrolling to right name highlighting it, then hitting enter.. be GREAT to just click keywords, and tick the boxes you need and be done with it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:58:59 am »

You can also do right-click > Rename.

For subsequent files, that command will be at the top of the menu.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:19:18 am »

I mentioned the right-click option in my initial post, Matt. It works, but for repetitive actions like tagging a dedicated button on the page would certainly be an attractive feature. I've really enjoyed the dedicated Locate-Album and Locate-Artist buttons, and I use the Rename feature a LOT more than Locate.

You can also do right-click > Rename.

For subsequent files, that command will be at the top of the menu.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:30:10 am »

You could also use the Tag Action Window.

For a list-style field, you can leave it open on that field and just click between files.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:54:03 am »

You could also use the Tag Action Window.

For a list-style field, you can leave it open on that field and just click between files.

I really like the functionality of the Tag Action Window; that's basically what I'd like to emulate in the primary window space. I've tried to adopt it as my primary tagging method a couple times over the years, but the layout and location are always problematic for me. I find moving between the horizontal layout of the Playing Now pane and the vertical layout of the Tag Action Window to be jarring, and I've never gotten comfortable moving between them.  Also, it's tucked away in the bottom corner of the screen (even at the top if I maximize the window), which makes it pretty inconvenient to move between the main windows, especially now in the days of the 27" monitor  ;D

Maybe I have an unusual workflow, but I'd be in favor of a 'Tag Action' mode for the main window, with a few protected fields (Name, Artist, Album) enabled by default.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 02:51:55 pm »

When one record has focus, a single-click of a field will do exactly what you want. For multiple records, you would still have to right-click. But that would be the normal behaviour of a drop-down as well—clicking on the control would change the focus to the one record clicked. Not to say that what you're suggesting couldn't be done, but it would be unconventional and potentially confusing.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 04:10:30 pm »

When one record has focus, a single-click of a field will do exactly what you want.

Ah Ha! I see what you mean now Rick. Click on a record to 'focus' it, then click again after a short delay to activate Rename. It's not exactly what I'd like to have (I still like the button idea). But in this case...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 04:23:18 pm »

In the mean time... how about a programmable mouse w/extra buttons. Program one for F2, so you just hover and click.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:35:07 pm »

Program one for F2, so you just hover and click.

A hover won't do it. Not only does the record have to be selected (i.e., have focus), the column has to be clicked to identify the field to be edited. (The two, of course, go together—clicking on a field to select it also gives the record focus.) Once that's done, a left-click does the same thing as F2.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 05:45:45 pm »

We call the in-place edit click shortcut a "slow double-click".  It works in any details list and also the panes.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »

"slow double-click"

A challenge for some, but a natural for us old-farts who are slow to begin with. ;D

MrC

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 05:58:18 pm »

A hover won't do it. Not only does the record have to be selected (i.e., have focus), the column has to be clicked to identify the field to be edited. (The two, of course, go together—clicking on a field to select it also gives the record focus.) Once that's done, a left-click does the same thing as F2.

Sorry, understood.  I'd assumed the necessity of multiple selection clicking, and the necessity of clicking in the column to focus the field.  I meant to address only that some folks don't like function keys (eg. the OPs I-d-wanna-use-da-F2-key), hence the programmable mouse suggestion.

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 07:11:53 pm »

...hence the programmable mouse suggestion.

And in that context, a very good one—thanks. I've always found it awkward reaching for F2 or right-clicking (the first time, when it's not at the top of the list) after selecting multiple files with the mouse. I thought I was stuck with that because my mouse doesn't have programmable buttons. Then it occurred to me there must be an application that will do so. So I'm now trying out X-Mouse Button Control.

MrC

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »

I've always hated Windows function keys too.  It reminds me of 1970's style terminals providing input to some goofy DOS program.

In Parallels, I have to use the "fn" key with F2, and that's some finger gymnastics! (think of trying to touch your left hand's thumb to your little finger's attachment point on your palm).
Pages: [1]   Go Up