INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: annoying white boxes accross top of screen watching live TV  (Read 1580 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

Watching live TV shows this thin line a the top of the screen with white (like bar code markings) that are very annoying against the black background.

I tried to move the screen up "+10"  (in my Pioneer PDP-50-70 TV menu/settings) but it did not move enough to cover/hide that line. I do not have an overscan feature (that I am aware of) on my TV settings.
I belive this line is for tracking-time-coding.

Is there anything in software that I can do to hide this line?

CountryBumkin

Re: annoying white boxes accross top of screen watching live TV
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »

Here's the best explaination I've found so far:

The while lines at the top of the screen carry data. Line 20 is generally the closed captioning data stream, where your television is getting the words to decode and display on your screen.

Further above that is generally time code data and sync information from the master video file.

A short excerpt from Wikipedia:

Vertical Interval Reference

The standard NTSC video image contains some lines (lines 1–21 of each field) which are not visible (this is known as the Vertical Blanking Interval, or VBI); all are beyond the edge of the viewable image, but only lines 1–9 are used for the vertical-sync and equalizing pulses. The remaining lines were deliberately blanked in the original NTSC specification to provide time for the electron beam in CRT-based screens to return to the top of the display.
END QUOTE

Unfortuantely, no details on how to remove this. I'll look at my video card settigns and see if I can get overscan setup.
BTW, it seems to only appear on SD material (4:3 on my 16:9 screen).

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:20:13 pm »

Is there anything in software that I can do to hide this line?

Yes, MC can deal with it for you.

Go into Tools/Options/Television and check the box that says "crop edges to remove visual noice at the edge of some broadcasts"

That should, do the trick.

R

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:31:14 am »

I already have that box checked.
BTW, I don't see this on my Samsung set - only my Pioneer set shows this line (I guess the Pio is 1:1). Also I don't get this line on HD material. So it's not that big of a problem.
Perhaps on a future MC version, the "crop edges" button/feature could provide a drop down box and let user select how much to crop (maybe like 2% or 5%).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:49:06 am »

You can manually zoom video playback.  Control+Mouse Wheel.

Different video sources have different amounts of overscan data.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »

I already have that box checked.
BTW, I don't see this on my Samsung set - only my Pioneer set shows this line (I guess the Pio is 1:1). Also I don't get this line on HD material. So it's not that big of a problem.
Perhaps on a future MC version, the "crop edges" button/feature could provide a drop down box and let user select how much to crop (maybe like 2% or 5%).

This option already exists.  It is under Tools > Options > Video > Crop Edges > Amount of edge cropping
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up