INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions and a kiss  (Read 3280 times)

ksvane

• World Citizen
A few questions and a kiss
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:43:48 am »

I just extended my trial and would like to know a few things before I can finally decide... ;D

Questions:
1. The tiny arrows in the tiny circles that show next to Album, Artist and Genre in the lists... is there any way I can get those not to show?
2. A total of 76 music tracks still fail to import. They include mp3, m4a (aac and alac) and flac. Why are they not importing? Foobar, itunes, Nero kwik media, musicbee, winamp, media monkey, atunes and songbird have no trouble importing them (yes, I've been around).
3. Who said there was more than 2?
4. See 3.

Kiss:
:-*

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: A few questions and a kiss
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:03 am »

1. Those are links. For example, when you have a track in Playing Now you can click the graphical symbol in front of the album name to go to a view that shows the complete album. If you don't find them useful you can hide them:
Tools > Options > General > Features > Linkable Columns (uncheck and restart MC).

2. Possibly you have the auto-import option to "not import previously imported and removed files again" enabled:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Configure Auto-Import... > Folders > select a listed folder and press Edit... > uncheck: Ignore files previously removed from library (do this for each listed folder if that is what you want).

Alternatively you could try to simply drag & drop the files from Windows Explorer to MC's Playing Now view. If the files are not imported you can use the right-click > Import command in Playing Now.

Other possible causes may be (for example):
- somehow restricted access rights
- corrupted files or files with unsupported tags (at least from MC's point of view)
- illegal filenames or folder paths (again, from MC's point of view)
If one of these causes apply, more details are needed, like the exact filenames and paths, exact file and tag format info, etc.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:57 am »

Thanks for a quick and thorough reply!

1. Done!

2. I had already disabled "not import previously imported and removed files again", so that's not it.
Examining the tags I see nothing out of the ordinary... same goes for the access rights. As far as I can tell, that is.
Dragging into Now Playing doesn't do anything either.
I can provide the exact paths or even send some of the files, just tell me what's needed and where to post it...

If the files have somehow become corrupted I wonder what caused that.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:15:38 am »

Dragging into Now Playing doesn't do anything either.

Are you saying that if you drag & drop one of those files into Playing Now it does not appear in the Playing Now list at all?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:50 am »

Yes sir, that appears to be the case.

"If the files are not imported you can use the right-click > Import command in Playing Now."
Not sure about that one though, as I cant figure out how to do that... where do I right click, exactly?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:39:40 am »

Yes sir, that appears to be the case.

Then we must investigate the "other possible causes"...

To exclude a possible "access rights" problem, as a test, could you copy a few of those problem files to a folder that contains correctly imported files and try to import from there?

If the file or tag format appears to be causing the problem a sample file (or files) may be needed. The JRiver developers may ask for them. Also the log file might show something. You can enable logging from the Help menu and try importing.

"If the files are not imported you can use the right-click > Import command in Playing Now."
Not sure about that one though, as I cant figure out how to do that... where do I right click, exactly?

The file itself (or one of the selected files if you want to import many). Of course the file/files must first be present in Playing Now.

You can set the Playing Now list behavior to automatically import the played files or disable this option (Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Automatically import files when played). You can determine if a file in Playing Now is imported by checking the color of the icon in the "Image (small icon)" column - gold color means unimported.

More info about the "Image (small icon)" column and the icon color:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59513.msg402349#msg402349
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59513.msg402379#msg402379
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59513.msg427787#msg427787

EDIT

I am speaking about Playing Now in Standard View, not in Theater View.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:09:16 am »

To exclude a possible "access rights" problem, as a test, could you copy a few of those problem files to a folder that contains correctly imported files and try to import from there?

Most of the files are already located in folders that contain other successfuly imported media files. In fact, some of the files are from albums that have had all other tracks imported successfully.

I still can not get any of the files to show in Playing Now... when I drag from explorer and drop in the Playing Now View (Standard), there's a splash screen for about half a second indicating that MC is processing the thing, but it doesn't show in the list.

I also enabled logging and re-imported... the log says "ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add" next to each of the files (and lots of stuff that I can't comprehend.)

Edits:
Typos and some clarification.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »

Most of the files are already located in folders that contain other successfuly imported media files. In fact, some of the files are from albums that have had all other tracks imported successfully.

I still can not get any of the files to show in Playing Now... when I drag from explorer and drop in the Playing Now View (Standard), there's a splash screen for about half a second indicating that MC is processing the thing, but it doesn't show in the list.

I also enabled logging and re-imported... the log says "ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add" next to each of the files (and lots of stuff that I can't comprehend.)

Edits:
Typos and some clarification.
Are they on a local drive or a networked drive?
Could you email me one of the failing mp3 files? bob (at) jriver (dot) com.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 01:03:02 pm »

Seems like a filename/path or a file format problem.

Could you post some examples of the complete filename paths? At least post MC's Filename field value from one of the imported files and from the same folder post the name and path of one file that does not work.

If the filenames or directory paths are not causing the problem then probably MC doesn't like something in the files, though this seems unlikely if the problem shows up with various file formats. Are you sure that the problem files include all four formats? (mp3, m4a/aac, m4a/alac and flac).

To JRiver / Bob & Matt: I guess you would like to have samples of all formats if the latter appears to be true.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:17:49 pm »

Actually I was wrong, they are all exclusively .m4a files... both AAC and ALAC, however. My apologies for getting that wrong... they are all located on my hard drive. Bob, would you like me to send you one of those instead?

Path of file that has been succesfully imported:
C:\Users\Svane\Music\Collection\Maria McKee\Peddlin' Dreams\02 Sullen Soul.m4a

Path of file within same folder that has not been succesfully imported (same folder)
C:\Users\Svane\Music\Collection\Maria McKee\Peddlin' Dreams\01 Season Of The Fair.m4a

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 04:02:54 pm »

Seems like a filename/path or a file format problem.

Could you post some examples of the complete filename paths? At least post MC's Filename field value from one of the imported files and from the same folder post the name and path of one file that does not work.

If the filenames or directory paths are not causing the problem then probably MC doesn't like something in the files, though this seems unlikely if the problem shows up with various file formats. Are you sure that the problem files include all four formats? (mp3, m4a/aac, m4a/alac and flac).

To JRiver / Bob & Matt: I guess you would like to have samples of all formats if the latter appears to be true.
I was thinking along the same lines as you Alex, either a character in the pathname we are not handling or perhaps a tagging issue. It's interesting that they all turn out to be m4a.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 04:03:47 pm »

Actually I was wrong, they are all exclusively .m4a files... both AAC and ALAC, however. My apologies for getting that wrong... they are all located on my hard drive. Bob, would you like me to send you one of those instead?

Path of file that has been succesfully imported:
C:\Users\Svane\Music\Collection\Maria McKee\Peddlin' Dreams\02 Sullen Soul.m4a

Path of file within same folder that has not been succesfully imported (same folder)
C:\Users\Svane\Music\Collection\Maria McKee\Peddlin' Dreams\01 Season Of The Fair.m4a

If you could send those two, that'd be great. Thanks...

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:11 pm »

Done!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 04:37:50 pm »

Got them, can reproduce the problem. Will let you know...

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:30:23 pm »

Thanks, I appreciate it. This is quality support! 8)

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:43 am »

has this been fixed yet?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 11:49:06 am »

has this been fixed yet?
Yes. For some reason some of your files have illegal mp4 headers but are playable anyway. We relaxed the header requirements slightly to allow them to play.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 02:04:09 pm »

Yup, I noticed they import fine now.
 :-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up