INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't stream MKV to PS3  (Read 11310 times)

amontiel69

Can't stream MKV to PS3
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:35 pm »

Hello all,

I recently downloaded the trial version of Media Center so I could try setting it up as a server to stream media to my PS3. I have been browsing this forum for 4 days and I cannot find an answer to my question, so I decided to post here to ask for help.

This is the problem I am having:

I installed Media Center and configured the PS3 DLNA Server. My PS3 can see the server and I can play all kinds of music files and also AVI files encoded at different settings and using different codecs.

Now, I have over 400 MKV files stored on external hard drives which I also want to stream to my PS3, however, whenever I try to play them, every single of those files displays a message saying "The server is preparing this file. Please try again in a few minutes"

I have waited up to 1 hour to try and play the files again and the same message keeps coming up on my TV screen. So, what I did was remove all video content and just add one MKV I ripped myself off the Blu-Ray disc (Forrest Gump) to see if the problem might be related to the number of files, but the message keeps showing up on my screen.

The settings I currently have for the Playstation 3 DLNA server (video section) are:

Support Video Content (checked)
Conversion: Convert unsupported formats
Encoder: MP4 high

Could anybody please tell me if these settings are correct? If not, what options should I choose to be able to stream the MKV files to the PS3?

Note: Because this was not working, I decided to try a different server and installed the PS3 Media Server and I can play every single one of my MKV files on the PS3 just fine. I do not want to stay with the PS3 Media Server as I really like the functionality of JRiver Media Center, but this test tells me that everything in my network and computer works just fine when sending MKV over to the PS3, so I am sure it must be something with the settings I am choosing in JRiver. Please help.

Thanks,

Alex

Wryce

• Recent member
Re: Can't stream MKV to PS3
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:59:21 am »

Hi Amontiel69

Im still in a learning process of J river media center and i had the same problem as you. The change i had to do for it to work proparly was to delete my DLNA server in the JRiver becasue i was using the Generic DLNA Server. I think Generic is default when you just create a server.

I then Added a new DLNA server and made sure that I added the premade Playstation 3 template that comes up when you press the Add button for DLNA servers.

After that i could play MKV on my PS3.

My video settings are:
Support Video Content
Convert unsupported formats.
MPEG2/DVD PAL stream.

I hope this helps you out if not post again and i will check my codec settings and post them for you.

Regards:
Wryce

amontiel69

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:47:53 am »

Hi Wryce,

Thank you very much for your response. I changed the setting to MPEG2/DVD Stream and I can now see the MKV video on my TV. Now, my question becomes this: I have a lot of movies in foreign languages and they have external subtitles in external files. I cannot find a way to make JR display the subtitles. Do you have any comments on how to that? I do not want to have to remux hundreds of files to embed the subtitles.

Actually, I tried to play back a file with japanese audio which has embedded English subtitles and it did not work either, so I do not know how to get JR to display the subtitles. PS3 Media Server can do this without any problems at all, so I expected JR to be able to do the same or better.

Thanks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:23:33 pm »

Hi Wryce,

Thank you very much for your response. I changed the setting to MPEG2/DVD Stream and I can now see the MKV video on my TV. Now, my question becomes this: I have a lot of movies in foreign languages and they have external subtitles in external files. I cannot find a way to make JR display the subtitles. Do you have any comments on how to that? I do not want to have to remux hundreds of files to embed the subtitles.

Actually, I tried to play back a file with japanese audio which has embedded English subtitles and it did not work either, so I do not know how to get JR to display the subtitles. PS3 Media Server can do this without any problems at all, so I expected JR to be able to do the same or better.

Thanks

The PS3 doesn't support separate subtitle files. PS3 Media Server burns the subs into the video when transcoding. We are checking into that. I thought we did it at one time but perhaps not.

amontiel69

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:02 pm »

Hi Bob,

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I am totally willing to buy J River and hope that this feature will be supported in an upcoming release. I like the program very much, but in the meantime I will continue to use PS3 Media Server to stream my MKV files with subtitles and will use JR for everything else I want to stream to the PS3.

SeldomSeen

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 04:45:15 pm »

I have my mkv bluray rips stored with the dts or DD loss-less tracks.  I have my server set output the loss-less tracks to my compatible receiver and that works great. 

I use the ps3 to stream them to a TV that does not have 5.1 surround, just 2 channel stereo from the TV speakers.   I can use ps3 media server for transcoding and it is hit or miss and very unfriendly for my family as the menus are tedious and hit or miss and sometimes it still streams in 5.1 unless reset so you can't hear the audio track.

Is there a way to force MC to transcode to 2 channel stereo?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:58:05 am »

I have my mkv bluray rips stored with the dts or DD loss-less tracks.  I have my server set output the loss-less tracks to my compatible receiver and that works great. 

I use the ps3 to stream them to a TV that does not have 5.1 surround, just 2 channel stereo from the TV speakers.   I can use ps3 media server for transcoding and it is hit or miss and very unfriendly for my family as the menus are tedious and hit or miss and sometimes it still streams in 5.1 unless reset so you can't hear the audio track.

Is there a way to force MC to transcode to 2 channel stereo?

I assume you tried the "always convert" option and the playstation 3 preset in Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA Servers->Video ?

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:47:19 am »

Hello,

I faced the same problem and i am able now to stream mkv files. But i face freeze problems for both sound and images every 5 seconds approximatively.

Does somebody solve this issue ?

Thank you,
Bertrand.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:53 am »

The DLNA video transcoding to mpeg2/dvd code is currently undergoing a lot of work. You might want to try again in a few builds.

berthos

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:19 pm »

Thank you.

Bertrand.

namenutss

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 01:16:14 am »

To insert mkv to ps3, it is better to convert mkv to ps3  more supported MPEG-1, WMV, AVI.
Here is just the step by step guide on how to do that at
http://www.avdshare.com/mkv-to-ps3-converter
Pages: [1]   Go Up