INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop / click sound whenever playback begins  (Read 18129 times)

ksvane

• World Citizen
Pop / click sound whenever playback begins
« on: July 18, 2011, 01:35:06 am »

Whenever I start playback, there's some sort of pop or click just before the song starts... what could be causing this and can I fix it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Very annyoing pop/click sound whenever playback kicks off
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:09:31 am »

Whenever I start playback, there's some sort of pop or click just before the song starts... what could be causing this and can I fix it?
I've seen that from a receiver on some settings, but there are some "Audio" articles on our wiki.  This, for example:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Playback_Problems.

If it's the receiver, try a lower bitrate.   More details on what you're doing would help.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:36:37 am »

It happens whenever I start or stop playback or switch between tracks, the latter except when crossfading is enabled. I'd much prefer to keep crossfading and silence skipping disabled.
I have tried switching between Direct Sound and Wave out but there was no difference as far as I could tell. Also tried in- and decreasing buffer. I don't use a receiver.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:24:12 am »

Is this the old Windows Sounds -> Windows Explorer -> Start Navigation thing?

Check you Windows Sounds settings and set the Windows Explorer -> Start Navigation sound to NONE and see if that helps...

Cheer,s

Mark

Skogkatt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:39:57 am »

This might happen because your DAC doesn't have the output muting implemented. The SPDIF receiver usually takes some time to lock on the signal and unwanted glitches can reach the output: that is why outputs are usually muted until SPDIF remains stable for a certain number of clocks. When you start a new track the SPDIF signal suddenly appears causing the "pop", while cross fading tracks never interrupts the digital signal.
I happen to see this behavior only with WASAPI modes and it is far less pronounced (almost undetectable) with ASIO.    

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:52:10 am »

marh_h:
Already, I have all windows sounds disabled.

Forest cat:
I'm afraid I am an idiot when it comes to these things... what is DAC, SPDIF, WASAPI, ASIO etc?? Sounds like ninja names but I'm guessing they're not.

Skogkatt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 09:45:50 am »

Hi Ksvane,

the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) is the circuit that converts to analog your digital music and could come integrated in a Audio Video receiver as well as a separate unit or integrated in your PC (sound card).

SPIDF (Sony Philips Digital Interface) is the digital coaxial cable between PC (or CD player) and the converter (DAC).

WASAPI and ASIO are some of the output modes supported by J River MC that can be configured under the menu: player/playback options > Audio Output

It would be helpful to know how your system is composed and configured...

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:55:14 am »

Makes a bit more sense now... as for my system configuration just tell me what info you need and perhaps where to find it, I'll do my best.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:52:15 pm »

Update: I've set it to crossfade gapped at 0,1 seconds which is a sufficient solution as it doesn't overlap the actual files (right?). There seems to be no pop or click at start of playback now either, but I have no idea how I did that.

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:12:07 pm »

I have NEVER heard anything between songs with ASIO and my Juli@, either with MC or Foobar.

BUT! Strangely enough I get an annoying glitch (quick BBBZZZZZ!), when i minimize the player to the taskbar.  And only then.  It happens with BOTH MC and Foobar.

To make things even stranger, it seems to only happen the first time it is minimized.  Then not again until program is restarted.

?
-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:01:40 pm »

I still fail to comprehend why MC occasionally clicks when starting/stopping audio playback... I have never experienced this with another media player (I have tried lots) bit perfect or not. How do I stop MC from doing this? I have tried just abot any output mode there is and have experienced with various buffer sizes as well. :/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »

The way to find the problem is to substitute another sound card, playback device, or another receiver.

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a problem with a Sony receiver.  It worked for everything up to 96Khz, but at 192Khz it would sometimes click.

There are many other such examples in the thread called "Weird Problems" in my signature.

BTW, the fact that a problem only occurs with one player does not mean that the problem is caused by the player.  A driver bug, for example, may only be triggered by a single unique set of circumstances.

Please describe your equipment and exactly what you're playing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 04:16:30 pm »

Hi ksvane, to start with could you let us know a bit more on your system:

MC Audio Settings in tools --> options --> Audio--> Output Mode:
Connection type: SPDIF, HDMI, the green plug from your sound card etc
Connected to what: direct to speakers, Make and Model X Receiver, TV etc

Any when does it currently pop and click?
JRiver CEO Elect

ksvane

• World Citizen
Re: Pop / click sound whenever playback begins
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 04:52:57 pm »

I am somewhat of a noob but I shall do my best to answer...

Output mode is currently Direct Sound... when I don't listen using my pc's humble speakers I connect it to either my headphoes, stereo or cassette deck through mister green plug. In the case of my cassette deck that connection is converted to what I believe is SPDIF.

Sound card is Realtek HD (I think).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 05:11:56 pm »

If you are using any of the Speaker / Headphone jacks on your audio card then you are not using SPDIF (which is fine by the way).  You can try to do a couple of things:
1) if you are on Vista/Win7 try changing the MC Audio Settings in tools --> options --> Audio--> Output Mode to WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style.  This will give MC exclusive access to the sound card and bypass all of the windows mixer so no other app or windows sound will be heard.
2) Make sure you have the latest Sound Card Drivers installed - these make a big difference to bugs like this.
JRiver CEO Elect

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 05:22:46 pm »

unfortunately it happens regardless of output mode... I frequently use WASAPI.

My sound card has a lot of options when I enter its properties... boxes to check/uncheck and what not... could it be something there that's wrongfully set up?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

It could be changes in sample rates / bit depths etc causing the card to switch modes.  Leave MC in WASAPI mode for now and in MC try Tools -->  Options --> Audio --> DSP & Output Format then in Output Format try changing the Sample Rates to the same one (eg 96,000 hz) and 24-bit (if your card supports it these values).  That way nothing will change between tracks.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:29:47 pm »

There are two WASAPI's.  Try both.

If your sound card is adding any special effects or any processing at all, uncheck the options.

Is the software the Realtek software?  Have you tried an update?  Updated drivers?

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:11:30 am »

I expereimented with a lot of settings and I finally seem to have gotten rid of this problem - for now, at least.

fjcbs

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 02:41:55 am »

Hello,
I know its an old topic but I found it yesterday looking for the same exact problem...

I only happens when the player is stopped and playback is started, not on track change.

After some fiddling with the audio settings I found that the setting "Do not play silence" is the cause (which I had set). After disabling this the "pop" disappeared.

Re-enabling it brought back the "pop" on playback start.

I'm using the latest version 23.0.45 so this must be an old problem.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 04:48:40 pm »

I fixed it by deselecting the "gapless" options
Pages: [1]   Go Up