INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming MKV to PS3 from MC.  (Read 3760 times)

TMA-1

• World Citizen
Streaming MKV to PS3 from MC.
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:15:49 am »

Im trying to stream movies from my computer (networkcabel) with MC to a PS3 (wifi). I tried it but got lag/freeze/stuttering about every other second during playback.
Thinking it was my wifi network I connected the PS3 to the network with a cabel but it did not get any better.
The movies are 720p and 1080p MKVs. If I play the movies on my computer there are no lag or anything. I use "Convert if unsupported format" and MPEG2/DVD. This is the only setting that works at all.  
Has anyone succeded in streaming HD-movies to a PS3 from MC? Is a 1080p MKV to much to stream over a standard LAN?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Streaming MKV to PS3 from MC.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:31:04 am »

Im trying to stream movies from my computer (networkcabel) with MC to a PS3 (wifi). I tried it but got lag/freeze/stuttering about every other second during playback.
Thinking it was my wifi network I connected the PS3 to the network with a cabel but it did not get any better.
The movies are 720p and 1080p MKVs. If I play the movies on my computer there are no lag or anything. I use "Convert if unsupported format" and MPEG2/DVD. This is the only setting that works at all.  
Has anyone succeded in streaming HD-movies to a PS3 from MC? Is a 1080p MKV to much to stream over a standard LAN?

You have a few issues to contend with:
1) Network Thoughput:  Wireless is iffy at best but physical LAN is fine
2) PS3 Streaming Compatibility:  The PS3 is very picky about what it will accept naively as a stream... No MKV, No DTS-MA, No DTS, No VC-1.  It does like MPG, TS/M2TS, MPEG2, DD, PCM, AVI
3) For the stuff the the PS3 does not like, you PC has to convert it "on the fly", which MC will do for you.  The issue will be if your PC has enough grunt.  If you bring up the process monitor on your PC that is doing the conversion / streaming you will see if one or more of your CPU cores is maxing out.
JRiver CEO Elect

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:11:29 am »

I'll check the process monitor. Thanks for your reply.

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »

Ok, I checked the process monitor and its jumping between 45 and 55% during playback.
I also tested my network speed and readspeed was on 12,7 Mbps over Wifi wich should be enough for a mpeg2/dvd stream.
The next thing Im going to test is to stream to another computer instead of my PS3.

Wryce

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:50:14 am »

Hi

I'm having the same issue with HD MKV on MC and I'm wondering if you have found anything.

My network is wired GB so I dont't think the bandwidth are any trouble for me and when I'm using PS3 Media server on the same MKV files with my PS3 i get no stuttering or lag and that is using DTS as audio track.

Regards:
Wryce

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:09:27 pm »

Hi

I'm having the same issue with HD MKV on MC and I'm wondering if you have found anything.

My network is wired GB so I dont't think the bandwidth are any trouble for me and when I'm using PS3 Media server on the same MKV files with my PS3 i get no stuttering or lag and that is using DTS as audio track.

Regards:
Wryce
The PS3 MC is transcoding the MKV to mpeg2 most likely.
On a machine using 50% cpu, is that dual core?
It could be a multithreaded ffmpeg is necessary to have enough horsepower to stream HD conversions...

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »

My 2 cents. PS3 and wifi for streaming movies, not a good idea.

I also tested my network speed and readspeed was on 12,7 Mbps over Wifi wich should be enough for a mpeg2/dvd stream.

That's what it says on your PC.
So 3 questions for you.
1: How far away is your PS3 to the Wireless Router?
2: What speed is your PS3 Connected at?
3: What is the signal strength % your PS3 says it is getting? (Interference, obstruction, any other devices that use 2.4 GHz)

Because this is a Wireless G connection, you can get at most 54 Mbps. 36 Mbps is a common connection. But if the signal strength bounces around, i believe this can have an affect on your data transmissions as far as a solid stream without interruption.

In any case, it is always best to use a wired network for your PS3 as is suggested by many people.
Good luck. 
Scott

Wryce

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 02:28:29 pm »

The PS3 MC is transcoding the MKV to mpeg2 most likely.
On a machine using 50% cpu, is that dual core?
It could be a multithreaded ffmpeg is necessary to have enough horsepower to stream HD conversions...

Hi Bob

The machine is a intel dual core 3.16GHz with 8GB of ram and a nvidia 9800 1GB that drives my MC.

Can you explain some more about multithread ffmpeg or perhaps point me somewhere where there are some recommended settings when it comes to the ffmpeg settings.

i have the CC codec pack installed aswell.

Regards:
Wryce

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:55 am »

That's more than enough hardware to throw at it Wryce.

The DLNA video transcoding to mpeg2/dvd code is currently undergoing a lot of work. You might want to try again in a few builds. The standalone ffmpeg is likely to go away...

Pages: [1]   Go Up