INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Bass Management  (Read 1534 times)

mvs1000

USB Bass Management
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:51:13 am »

Newbie here so apologies if this topic has already been explained...just point me in the right direction.  :)

I have an older model Peachtree audio Decco connected to a Windows7 computer and MC16 installed.  My problem is I am unable to use the room correction features in the DSP studio.  Specifically, the bass management is greyed out.

My subwoofer is connected to the Peachtree via the line level pre-out RCA jacks.  Using this configuration I get very, very low output from the sub (even after turning the gain and crossover to their max settings).

I have tried connecting the computer to the Peachtree with both the USB connection and via the sound cards mini-jacks.

I notice that if I connect the sub to the Peachtree via the speaker binding posts I get much more volume.  However, the Peachtree only has one set of speaker outputs so to drive both the mains and the sub I have to double up on the connections which, if I understand correction, will halve the impedance and present a difficult load to the Peachtree's amp.  Even under this connection configuration the bass management still does not work.

There is clearly some fundamental concept I am missing here.  :)  Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: USB Bass Management
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:05:25 am »

Specifically, the bass management is greyed out.

You can only use Bass Management if you're outputting a discrete subwoofer channel.  Normally this means 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 output, which requires 6 or 8 outputs on your audio device.

How many outputs does the Decco support?  I'm guessing it has two, in which case the only thing you could do would be to boost the amount of bass in the signal being output by using the Equalizer / Parametric Equalizer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mvs1000

Re: USB Bass Management
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »

Thank you for the explanation.

So is there anyway to adjust the volume on the pre-out independent of the mains?  I suppose I need to ask that question of Peachtree!

On a sidenote, it's more then a little annoying to me that integrated amp manufacturers advertise pre-out subwoofer connections and then fail to give them enough voltage to drive typical plate amplifiers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up