INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging help please  (Read 1433 times)

sskings

Tagging help please
« on: July 24, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »

Please help me understand how tagging works in MC with .flac files.

When I change tags in the tagging window obviously the tag information in the library changes.  Do the tags embedded in the flac file also change?  Are tag fields added to the flac file if they don't exist already?  I've just gone through a frustrating situation where tag information (both cover art and album name) has been apparently lost.

Second question.  Why do I suddenly have mp3 files from the Conversion Cache folder appearing in my library?  (Yes, an attempt to get rid of these led to the situation above.)  I deleted the Conversion Cache folder, deleted the library (after backing up), and then had MC rescan My Music.  Is there another way to cause MC to remove the mp3 files from the library?

Thanks for your help.
Steve

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Tagging help please
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »

Tagging is controlled by:

a) the setting Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes
    Also available under Edit > Update Tags When File Info Changes

b) individual library fields: Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields > * > Store in file tags (when possible)

When you change properties in MC, they will be automatically written out to files soon after they are changed, provided both (a) and (b) are set.

Tags in files will be created as needed if they are in MC.

MC won't just lose your file properties.  The info would be in the DB.  You probably did something to delete the info.

You can verify physical file tags by selecting a file, and going to the Action Window > Tag, and clicking on the file type shown just under the "Tag" heading of the Tag action Window (hover your mouse, and you'll see a tooltip "Click for detailed format information").

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29

You can manually request MC to write out tags with Library Tools > Update Tags (from library)

The conversion cache will be created as necessary to satisfy sync conditions, or remote playback to DLNA devices, or network play back.  You can disable the conversion cache.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sskings

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:14 am »

Thanks for the detailed reply.  One point of clarification please.  When I select Library Tools > Update Tags (from library), will MC write out all library information to the file tags for all selected files?  If I select the whole library it will do this globally?

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:01 am »

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrC

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:37:39 am »

Yes, to be clear.  MC will write out all the tags (that are configured to be written) for all the selected files when you Update tags from library.  It is not instantaneous for large libraries of course, but the process of updating begins and goes through until completion.

sskings

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:43:27 pm »

The conversion cache will be created as necessary to satisfy sync conditions, or remote playback to DLNA devices, or network play back.  You can disable the conversion cache.

How is the conversion cache disabled?  Thanks.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »

Go to Options, and in the search box upper right, type: cache location.

You'll see settings under the Audio section.  Click the Cache location button to set to None.
Pages: [1]   Go Up